HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 H&H Anniversary Kake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: H&H Anniversary Kake   Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:44 pm

Just got this stuff in, and got to say it's a gem! The perique is just barely there and more on the figgy/plummy side than spicy which works well with the Virginia's. Required a few re-lights in the bottom 1/3 of the bowl but not too many. The smoke was on the light side of medium with a healthy dose of tangy/sweetness and very creamy with boatloads of smoke!

I only ordered 2 ounces but will definitely be putting a larger order in soon. I will be interested to see how this one ages and my ongoing impressions as I work through the 2 ounce bag. Very good stuff! Makes me want to try AJs Vaper and Louisiana Red and all of Russ' other Virginia/perique blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

avatar

Age : 55
Location : Alaska
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:06 am

It is a superb blend, and it ages very well. Have you tried Rattray's Old Gowrie? It is another really nice Va/Per.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
Moderator
avatar

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:11 am

I like Anni Kane too! In fact, I was going to order some from SP the other day, but they were out of stock. Hopefully they'll have some more by the time I get home for summer.

C&D Night Train might be up your alley, come to think of it. It's Anniversary Kake on steroids.

_________________
Many of the greatest pleasures in life are illegal, immoral, or smelly.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:18 am

Thanks, guys. I'm marking down Night Train on my wish list. Can't beat these bulk prices for sampling blends.

FM, I have a jar of Old Gowrie sitting in my cellar... trying not to touch it for at least another year.

Have you guys had some of the other Va/Pers from Russ? How do they compare?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

avatar

Location : Colorado
Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:26 am

AJ's Vaper (my fav)
Louisiana Red
Rolondo's Own

My 3 favorite VaPers from H&H. Get an ounce of all three. You'll see how the different Virginia's play off the Perique. If LR isn't your favorite I'll be surprised. All 3 age like a spectacularly.

AK is in a different class because of the topping. It supposed to be Rum by I feel there's something else in there. Not sure what it is.

Edit. I just saw JimInks' review and he mentions Red Wine. I could see that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Old Nate wrote:
Just got this stuff in, and got to say it's a gem! The perique is just barely there and more on the figgy/plummy side than spicy which works well with the Virginia's. Required a few re-lights in the bottom 1/3 of the bowl but not too many. The smoke was on the light side of medium with a healthy dose of tangy/sweetness and very creamy with boatloads of smoke!

I only ordered 2 ounces but will definitely be putting a larger order in soon. I will be interested to see how this one ages and my ongoing impressions as I work through the 2 ounce bag. Very good stuff! Makes me want to try AJs Vaper and Louisiana Red and all of Russ' other Virginia/perique blends.

I'm smoking Anni Kake from 2012, The difference between this and fresh is that the topping is lightly less prominent and the Virginia is lightly more obvious.

@Leacha: the rum is lightly applied, and is a team player, so it's not as noticeable as it is in other more heavily flavored rum blends. I mention red wine because I think the fermentation from the pressing gives an essence of it, but there's no red wine in AK. I asked Russ O about it a while back, so that's how I know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

avatar

Location : Colorado
Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:13 pm

JimInks wrote:
Old Nate wrote:
Just got this stuff in, and got to say it's a gem! The perique is just barely there and more on the figgy/plummy side than spicy which works well with the Virginia's. Required a few re-lights in the bottom 1/3 of the bowl but not too many. The smoke was on the light side of medium with a healthy dose of tangy/sweetness and very creamy with boatloads of smoke!

I only ordered 2 ounces but will definitely be putting a larger order in soon. I will be interested to see how this one ages and my ongoing impressions as I work through the 2 ounce bag. Very good stuff! Makes me want to try AJs Vaper and Louisiana Red and all of Russ' other Virginia/perique blends.

I'm smoking Anni Kake from 2012, The difference between this and fresh is that the topping is lightly less prominent and the Virginia is lightly more obvious.

@Leacha: the rum is lightly applied, and is a team player, so it's not as noticeable as it is in other more heavily flavored rum blends. I mention red wine because I think the fermentation from the pressing gives an essence of it, but there's no red wine in AK. I asked Russ O about it a while back, so that's how I know.

Thanks for the response. Your palate is waaayyy more refined than mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:43 am

Nate, I'm pretty sure you'll really enjoy the Louisiana Red. Got stuck for a month last year with nothing but a tin of Louisiana Red and I gotta say I wasn't disappointed at all to only have the one choice. I should imagine that it ought to age quite nicely too.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:36 am

huffelpuff wrote:
Nate, I'm pretty sure you'll really enjoy the Louisiana Red. Got stuck for a month last year with nothing but a tin of Louisiana Red and I gotta say I wasn't disappointed at all to only have the one choice. I should imagine that it ought to age quite nicely too.

Jim

I love LR, too. And Rolando's Own, which is very under rated for some reason. I cellered them and AK, too. Rolando's Own really gets better with a few years age. As soon as I smoke down my open samples to a reasonable level, I'm going to open a tin of 2012 LR and see how it's changed. I'm probably three months away from that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Seems to me I have a small jar of this resting somewhere in the abyss. Don't remember anything about it when I got it in, so will have to ferret it out and see what I make of it. Thanks for the prompt.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:17 pm

I got three ounces of the Louisiana red the other day. Boy I really like this stuff. Slightly spicier than anniversary kake but also sweet Savory in a way. And it's really easy tobacco to work with. I believe I'm going to have to order more before long!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

avatar

Location : Diocese of Northern Indiana
Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:48 am

JimInks wrote:


I love LR, too. And Rolando's Own, which is very under rated for some reason. I cellered them and AK, too. Rolando's Own really gets better with a few years age. As soon as I smoke down my open samples to a reasonable level, I'm going to open a tin of 2012 LR and see how it's changed. I'm probably three months away from that.

Of the three, LR is my favorite. Rolando's Own does not do too poorly on TR. It is a 3.4...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:25 am

MisterE wrote:
I like Anni Kane too! In fact, I was going to order some from SP the other day....

Wait...is that typo or is SP carrying H&H blends?


I tend to like most of the H&H Va/VaPer blends - Louisiana Red is my favorite, followed by AJ's). After reading through this thread, I don't know how I've never tried Rolando's own. To be honest, I don't think I've ever HEARD of Rolando's own...which is nuts considering how often I scroll through the H&H lineup at P&C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:58 am

idbowman wrote:
MisterE wrote:
I like Anni Kane too! In fact, I was going to order some from SP the other day....

Wait...is that typo or is SP carrying H&H blends?  


I tend to like most of the H&H Va/VaPer blends - Louisiana Red is my favorite, followed by AJ's).  After reading through this thread, I don't know how I've never tried Rolando's own.  To be honest, I don't think I've ever HEARD of Rolando's own...which is nuts considering how often I scroll through the H&H lineup at P&C.

They have tins... but limited quantities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:24 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
JimInks wrote:


I love LR, too. And Rolando's Own, which is very under rated for some reason. I cellered them and AK, too. Rolando's Own really gets better with a few years age. As soon as I smoke down my open samples to a reasonable level, I'm going to open a tin of 2012 LR and see how it's changed. I'm probably three months away from that.

Of the three, LR is my favorite. Rolando's Own does not do too poorly on TR. It is a 3.4...

True, but you hardly see anybody smoke it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:40 pm

I had a tin of Rolando's Own a few years ago and it was pretty darn good. I also enjoyed AJ's Vaper as well.

One of my favorite H&H blends, Steamroller, was mysteriously discontinued. Question Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:11 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I had a tin of Rolando's Own a few years ago and it was pretty darn good. I also enjoyed AJ's Vaper as well.

One of my favorite H&H blends, Steamroller, was mysteriously discontinued. Question Question  

I'm very impressed with the H&H blends I've tried, to date. The Anni Kake is pretty special imo and you absolutely can't go wrong with the Louisiana Red. I also have a little remaining of LJ Heart Virginia in my cellar that is also nice, not quite on par with the AK and LR but good.

I'd like to try Firestorm, but it never seems to be available or I'm looking in the wrong places...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

avatar

Location : Colorado
Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:44 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
One of my favorite H&H blends, Steamroller, was mysteriously discontinued. Question Question  
That happened not too long ago . I went to purchase it and it showed "Out of Stock". Then it dropped off completely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: H&H Anniversary Kake   Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 pm

leacha wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
One of my favorite H&H blends, Steamroller, was mysteriously discontinued. Question Question  
That happened not too long ago . I went to purchase it and it showed "Out of Stock". Then it dropped off completely.

It won't be alone as far as dropping off soon enough...........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
H&H Anniversary Kake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» 19 August 2012: The 70th Anniversary of Dieppe
» Are McCanns soliciting bids for exclusive 10th anniversary interviews?
» One Year Anniversary of the Big Breakup
» 15th Iowa and the Battle of Shiloh
» CASE OF THE CENTURY:Madeleine McCann Story" What do you think of this story?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: