HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share
 

 Anyone cut their own hair?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 7:45 pm

I've long been considering the possibility of cutting my own hair rather than going to a barber. I've been getting a #4 cut for years, but it grows back so fast I have to make repeated visits more often than I'd like. Can't stand the feel of hair touching my ears anymore. And this from a former hippy that had hair halfway down his back in the late 60's-mid 70's!

So where I'm going with this is that I want to go with a #2 cut, which should afford me the ability to cut my own hair as necessary. I had a #2 cut for a while and loved it. No fussing, no maintenance.

So if any of you who cut your own hair in a similar fashion can recommend an  electric clippers with the proper attachment for a #2 cut I'd be grateful to know of it.

The only downside of such a short cut is that my head gets cold easily, and so then the rest of me! So I might be resigned to wearing a skull cap.

cherry



Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Anyone cut their own hair? Purple11x 2Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx10  Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx7Anyone cut their own hair? D6bddf10 Anyone cut their own hair? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cutting+your+own+hair+men
Some thought from someone who has tried it:
What you think looks good in the front may not look so good in the back.
A penny saved may cost $20+ to fix
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Age : 56
Location : Alaska
Registration date : 2013-02-14

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 9:02 pm

I shave my head, and have saved a ton on haircuts. When I hit the point of having only half a head of hair, I refused to pay for haircuts.
Back to top Go down
oldmansmokingpipe

oldmansmokingpipe

Age : 65
Location : US
Registration date : 2016-05-25

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 7:59 am

i was sick too and went back to a tail. Glad I did. At my age - i decided to my thing.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 8:32 am

Esquire magazine, June 1975. Just scissors. And mirrors.
Back to top Go down
oldmansmokingpipe

oldmansmokingpipe

Age : 65
Location : US
Registration date : 2016-05-25

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 8:48 am

you may opt for the Moe Howard cut - bowl and scissors. Razz
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Fatman wrote:
I shave my head, and have saved a ton on haircuts. When I hit the point of having only half a head of hair, I refused to pay for haircuts.


I'm with you 100%.
Mofo is only doing half the work but wants full price plus tip.. Nope, I can use a razor.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Age : 47
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Location : Diocese of Northern Indiana
Registration date : 2013-05-29

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 3:00 pm

I cut mine for maybe 15 years. It was just a #2 guard.

My wife finally told me she could not stand it any more and needed me to go to a barber. I told the barber I wanted a #2 guard all over and make it look like I have been to a barber. She does ears, eyebrows, beard trim, etc. for $8,
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
taharris

taharris

Age : 50
Location : Central Ohio
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 7:42 pm

My 7 year old cut his this morning.

The wife was not pleased.

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Youtube vids are useful to a point, but what I'm looking for is testimony about a specific set of cutters that you have used successfully for a #2 cut.

In my mind it shouldn't be that difficult to run a set of clippers through the hair to do this. Or is it?!

Exclamation


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Anyone cut their own hair? Purple11x 2Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx10  Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx7Anyone cut their own hair? D6bddf10 Anyone cut their own hair? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Hermit

Hermit

Age : 66
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 3:46 am

I've spent next to nothing on haircuts my entire life.
Before I got drafted, I just didn't get haircuts. Cool
Then no more haircuts for a while.
For years my wife cut my hair.
Then, as the temples receded it got shorter
and shorter til I was cutting it myself with
a trimmer. Then when a patch of open water
opened up on the crown, I said the hell with hair.
I've been shaving for years and wouldn't go back. Wink
I wish the rest of it would fall out. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Age : 36
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 9:22 pm

I've been cutting my own hair for about 5 years... I use simple wahl clippers from Walmart. My art was about $30 and it has guards number 8 all the way down to a 1/2.... in the summer I use a 2 on the sides and fade to the top. The top I trim with scissors. The scissors part is pretty easy. I go with a lazy part on the side and the beauty of this is the top doesn't need to be exact because it lies pretty flat on my head, but it's easy to get the top of my hair on my noggin pretty even.

The hard part is the back, esp w the fade, but if you're going 2 or 4 or whatever all over, I think you got this. Invest in a cheap standing mirror that you can put beside your bathroom mirror and that will let you see the back without contorting your body all over so you can see. For my neckline I like to hit the very bottom with a #1 and it usually makes for a smooth transition to the #2 on my sides. Only do this for the bottom inch or less.

The first couple times you might stumble a little, but you'll figure out what works for you...
Back to top Go down
leacha

leacha

Location : Colorado
Registration date : 2014-01-08

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 9:23 pm

I didn't know what you ment by #4 and #2 until today. Every 2 weeks my wife has been cutting my hair. #1 on my head and beard and #000 on the eyebrows and to trim the head area.

Been doing it since '99. Untold $$$ shifted to other things plus I make small talk with someone I care about!
Back to top Go down
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Age : 36
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Good point by leacha... you can always have your wife, son, daughter (someone you trust and care about) trim you up.... even if you do all the easy stuff, they can do the back. Sometimes my wife does the back for me... but honestly I do a better job, just takes me a little longer cause it is hard to cut what you can't readily see.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Old Nate wrote:
I've been cutting my own hair for about 5 years... I use simple wahl clippers from Walmart. My art was about $30 and it has guards number 8 all the way down to a 1/2.... in the summer I use a 2 on the sides and fade to the top. The top I trim with scissors. The scissors part is pretty easy. I go with a lazy part on the side and the beauty of this is the top doesn't need to be exact because it lies pretty flat on my head, but it's easy to get the top of my hair on my noggin pretty even.

The hard part is the back, esp w the fade, but if you're going 2 or 4 or whatever all over, I think you got this. Invest in a cheap standing mirror that you can put beside your bathroom mirror and that will let you see the back without contorting your body all over so you can see. For my neckline I like to hit the very bottom with a #1 and it usually makes for a smooth transition to the #2 on my sides. Only do this for the bottom inch or less.

The first couple times you might stumble a little, but you'll figure out what works for you...

I found this info very helpful. Thanks Nate, I'll be looking into it.

Very Happy


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Anyone cut their own hair? Purple11x 2Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx10  Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx7Anyone cut their own hair? D6bddf10 Anyone cut their own hair? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Stick

Stick

Age : 49
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Rande,

I've been using a set of Wahl clippers for at least 4 years now to obtain a sharp grade 1 cut.  I then remove the guard for an even closer cut to taper in my sidies and the back of my neck.  The clippers have given a consistently good quality cut that takes approx. 15 mins if I take my time.  I just stand in front of a mirror on a hard floor (sweep and then vacuum after) and work methodically.  The back of my head is done purely by feel and then use 2 mirrors to check my work.  It really is very straight forward.  After 2 cuts I was saving money too.

The set I chose is a good quality Wahl with everything included; grades 1 - 8.  After a few months I threw everything away apart from the #1 and 2 guards, the brush to clean the clippers after use and the lube.  If it doesn't infringe BoB policy I'll post a link to Amazon that'll give you the idea - if anyone can confirm that's ok?

Go for it mate, I doubt you'll regret it...
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 65
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 5:52 pm

BD, Just let the damn stuff grow, when it gets long enough ya just tie it in a tail.
I can't remember the last time I had a hair cut and I don't care if people think I look
like a hippy or not.
If ya ask me there's some pretty stupid look'en people walk'en around with hair cuts nowadays.
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Location : Diocese of Northern Indiana
Registration date : 2013-05-29

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:

If ya ask me there's some pretty stupid look'en people walk'en around with hair cuts nowadays.

There are some stupid people walking around too. At least the haircut is a clue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Stick wrote:
Rande,

I've been using a set of Wahl clippers for at least 4 years now to obtain a sharp grade 1 cut.  I then remove the guard for an even closer cut to taper in my sidies and the back of my neck.  The clippers have given a consistently good quality cut that takes approx. 15 mins if I take my time.  I just stand in front of a mirror on a hard floor (sweep and then vacuum after) and work methodically.  The back of my head is done purely by feel and then use 2 mirrors to check my work.  It really is very straight forward.  After 2 cuts I was saving money too.

The set I chose is a good quality Wahl with everything included; grades 1 - 8.  After a few months I threw everything away apart from the #1 and 2 guards, the brush to clean the clippers after use and the lube.  If it doesn't infringe BoB policy I'll post a link to Amazon that'll give you the idea - if anyone can confirm that's ok?

Go for it mate, I doubt you'll regret it...

Very helpful info mate. And yes, by all means post a link as it's allowed as far as I'm aware.

Cartaphilus wrote:
BD, Just let the damn stuff grow, when it gets long enough ya just tie it in a tail.
I can't remember the last time I had a hair cut and I don't care if people think I look
like a hippy or not.
If ya ask me there's some pretty stupid look'en people walk'en around with hair cuts nowadays.

Ron, I had the requisite pony tail in the late 60's/early-mid 70's. Nowadays I can't stand the feeling of longer hair and would just as soon be shut of the stuff altogether. In any case I'm pretty bald on top anyways.

Getting pretty tired of messing with the beard and stash too, but that helps keep my face warm so guess I'll retain that for the time being. Hate shaving, but don't suppose beard/ stash maintenance is any worse.

Neutral



Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Anyone cut their own hair? Purple11x 2Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx10  Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx7Anyone cut their own hair? D6bddf10 Anyone cut their own hair? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Hermit

Hermit

Age : 66
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 5:10 am

Brewdude wrote:

Ron, I had the requisite pony tail in the late 60's/early-mid 70's. Nowadays I can't stand the feeling of longer hair and would just as soon be shut of the stuff altogether. In any case I'm pretty bald on top anyways.

RR

Then go for it.
Take it off...take it all off.  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Age : 36
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Stick made a good point on the back... for the most part you'll eventually be comfortable enough to go by feel, because you'll never be able too see back there good enough like you can the rest of your head.

Also, it'll be tempting to watch YouTube videos but I think it's a waste of time, bc you need to find what works for you, and you will. I figure, I'm just an average guy and all I need is an average haircut, and I can handle that on my own Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Age : 49
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 12:32 pm

Here you go Rande, this is the exact model that I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Chrome-Pro-Haircut-79520-500/dp/B0013TTSW8/ref=sr_1_70_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468081817&sr=8-70&keywords=wahl+clippers

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 7:09 pm

Stick wrote:
Here you go Rande, this is the exact model that I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Chrome-Pro-Haircut-79520-500/dp/B0013TTSW8/ref=sr_1_70_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468081817&sr=8-70&keywords=wahl+clippers


Much appreciated mate. Ta very much!

drunken


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Anyone cut their own hair? Purple11x 2Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx10  Anyone cut their own hair? Bombx7Anyone cut their own hair? D6bddf10 Anyone cut their own hair? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 65
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Anyone cut their own hair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Anyone cut their own hair? EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

If ya ask me there's some pretty stupid look'en people walk'en around with hair cuts nowadays.

There are some stupid people walking around too. At least the haircut is a clue.

Yeah, reckon if it walks like a duck............ Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
 
Anyone cut their own hair?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Haberdashery-
Jump to: