HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

No bamboo, corn cobs, calabash or Cracker Jack.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: No bamboo, corn cobs, calabash or Cracker Jack.   Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:50 pm

I admit to being a Dunhill whore, actually I'm not sure if I own more Dunhills or Becker's but it's close either way. While I do buy Dunhills they have to be somewhat special and this one is as it has a backstory as well.

Made during WW II it has the Canadian patent and from what I was able to find out was the Canadian patented Dunhill's were made by Blatter & Blatter.

Now if that isn't cool enough it has a black spot. While not made with the black spot there are stories that monied patrons of pubs were frowned upon during the war and the white spot of the Dunhill stood out so in order to enjoy a pint w/o being noticed the owner blackened the white spot.

Regardless of any of that this is a cracker of a smoker and is doing a fine job of keeping it smokey filled with Condor Long Cut.
banjo
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: No bamboo, corn cobs, calabash or Cracker Jack.   Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:04 pm

What a great story and pedigree on that classic Mr. Banjo. I'm suitable impressed!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: No bamboo, corn cobs, calabash or Cracker Jack.   Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Handsome pipe, indeed. I think if I were a bloomin' toff back in the day I'd have been more uneasy if I were caught in a pub puffing an awkwardly disguised Dunny than a take or leave it dotted Dunny. As we've lately seen, our brothers across the sea resent having their heads messed with. (To keep peace in the family, I have "no opinion" on Brexit, though I quietly note that the Dow is back where it was. Some disaster.)  While your collection of pipes makes my pupils dilate, and makes me question the possible short sightedness of my own $200 expenditure per unit limit, this Dunhill pipe speaks well for the functional school of design and the aura of confident restraint it confers on the smoker. Well smoked, again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: No bamboo, corn cobs, calabash or Cracker Jack.   Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:17 am

I do so enjoy reading back stories like the one you gave here and I even like the pipe. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile

No bamboo, corn cobs, calabash or Cracker Jack.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: