HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist   Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:23 pm

Sweet Cinnamon Twist. Now doesn't that just sound like the ideal Sunday morning blend. That and a steaming mug of Kenya or Sulawesi roasted City plus. Oh Mama!

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

OK, enough set up, down to business. Right now I'm drying the thinly sliced coins I lopped off the Twist with an 8" chef's knife, fresh from the steel. About 15 passes per side dressed the edge nicely. Now I'm just drumming my fingers.

Think I'll brew that mug of coffee I was yapping about. My wife gave me a new burr grinder for Father's Day and it is truly a delight...perfect grind.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/capresso-infinity-burr-grinder

I've got some fresh roast beans a new roaster a few miles from our place did up. Good stout blend without going near a dark roast level. I prefer a roast that lets the nature of the beans dictate the flavor, instead of having the roast level overcome it. So while the Cinnamon Twist airs I'll go do up that coffee.

Hold on, I'll be right back.

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist   Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:52 pm

First off, this stuff is very slow drying. I had it inside, in the sun, on a small plate, spread so that it was openly scattered...AC on so the Rh is low...maybe 70F. Half an hour, stuff is warm to the touch, but didn't dry much. Multiple relights to Kindle a smoldering smudge pot burn. Nice and smoky though. Finally, the multiple lights have driven enough moisture out so that it behaves.

So - what's it like? Hmmm. Remember now, these are initial impressions and not any kind of experienced perspective.

While it does have a mildly Cinnamon like aroma in the pouch I can't say that carries over much in the bowl. Especially when aggressively puffed. Moreso when sipped. It's just that, you know the scent of Cinnamon...if you're looking for that same experience when you light this up...I don't think you'll get it. Maybe this is what Cinnamon smells like if you burn a pile with your Bernz-O-Matic. Haven't tried that as yet. Anyway, you know how the Sweet Licorice Twist doesn't taste like what many think of as licorice? But it tastes really, really good? It takes the harsh edge off the Brown Twist like it's supposed to? Well, this is the same, but instead of tasting really really good...it tastes, um...pretty good. It lets more of these "brown" base flavor through. Or something. Very subdued kind of spice something. So with this one, it is interesting and very nice in and of itself, unique, a bit spicy...but not a Cinnamon bomb at all. Very unlike the "spirit" blends like Rum, Whiskey and Brandy which smell and taste like their names. Unlike the Maple that really has a deep, gorgeous Maple flavor down there. A bit more like the Licorice that tastes wonderful but not like what most think of as licorice. This one is... different. But different is good. I'm thinking that there are a whole lot of Gawith guys out there that would find this spot on to what they like about Gawith...real tobacco flavors from leaves of excellent quality deftly handled by a company that does pretty much everything right. IMHO.

OH, and I should add...handle with care...if you're used to smoking firecrackers...this is C4!

Thus far, in my journey through my TAD ropes and twist orders I would pick the Rum, Maple and Licorice Twists. Of these, the Rum and Maple are readily available in the USA...which is good as the prices here are SO much better. The Licorice I will order via GQ in the UK when I get low. The others? Good for the experience, but the others will do me. The Plum stood out, but I can let it go as I much prefer the Rum & Maple.

So...sorry AJ. I doubt this is the Cinnamon blend you were hoping it would be. I might stick the rest of this Cinnamon in an envelope and send it your way out in Carey. You can be the judge. But I think you'll agree.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist   Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks for the review BH. I was hoping for something with a fairly sweet cinnamon taste but being that it's a Twist I felt that chance was remote. It would need to be more like GH's American Blend family to have that quality. However it still sounds like a blend I could appreciate so I'd be grateful if you send me a sample. One never knows when they will get a pleasant surprise. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist   Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Si Senor.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist   Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Sounds like I'll shoot for the Rum and Maple.... Cinnamon has always eluded me in tobaccos. Must be a ph thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist   Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:51 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Sounds like I'll shoot for the Rum and Maple.... Cinnamon has always eluded me in tobaccos. Must be a ph thing?

Good choices my friend. I'm thinking that the Maple would be a great smoke. I've never cared for booze flavored tobacco. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist   Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:09 pm

According to the Mr Snuff blurbs, these twists are supposed to have a 'creamy' factor in the smoke; I have to say this was the first one that I really detected it, but as BH has said not a lot of Cinnamon
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist   Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 pm

OK...I get the creamy aspect as well. Creamy spice...but not greatly Cinnamon.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist   Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
OK...I get the creamy aspect as well. Creamy spice...but not greatly Cinnamon.

That's OK I can do creamy spice. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Gawith Sweet Cinnamon Twist
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1