HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Loose Stems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Loose Stems   Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:32 pm

This problem which once vexed me with a beautiful Nachtwalter autograph pipe (technically still  does even though I haven't smoked it in a decade) has recently reared its ugly head with a favorite little Iafisco lovat.  And NO, I didn't try removing or otherwise turning the stem while the pipe was still hot from smoking.  I just loaded it up for a morning smoke and voila, the problem showed itself.

So what is the best way to remedy this bothersome problem?  Ten years ago found me holding a flame 6 inches beneath the endof the stem and turning it around for a few seconds before replacing (jamming?) it back in, hoping that the vulcanite had expanded enough to keep the stem in place.

This method would work, but unfortunately it wouldn't solve theproblem permanently, so I'd be heating up the stem periodically until I gave up on it.

Has any progress been made in this department since? What is the best way to get a loose stem to once again fit properly?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:47 pm

A layer of bees wax works a treat. You don't need much.

You're welcome!

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Brewdude's beeswax method works very well and I've used it and had good success. However for a more permanent solution I heat the tenon over a candle flame to soften it a bit and then I take a nail with the diameter being just a little larger than that of the draft hole and drive the nail about a quarter inch into the tenon. This will evenly increase the diameter of the first quarter inch of the tenon and make a nice snug fit that should last. If the fit is still a little loose repeat the process with a larger nail. Either method will do the trick. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Hmmm...I have done the "bee's wax" thingy to fine results without resorting to flame!! I'm not brave enough nor good enough to try AJ's method Smile Generally just smoking the pipe more frequently works for me. Good luck cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:11 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
Brewdude's beeswax method works very well and I've used it and had good success. However for a more permanent solution I heat the tenon over a candle flame to soften it a bit and then I take a nail with the diameter being just a little larger than that of the draft hole and drive the nail about a quarter inch into the tenon. This will evenly increase the diameter of the first quarter inch of the tenon and make a nice snug fit that should last. If the fit is still a little loose repeat the process with a larger nail. Either method will do the trick. Smile

AJ

This is the right way to do it. The wrong way is what I did for the first 30 years I smoked a pipe.I would heat the tenon with my lighter and press it on a table. Dip it in some cold water and try it. These days I use bees wax, and I would probably use the proper method if I had to resort to heating it up.

If you haven't smoked the pipe for a while, a smoke will sometimes provide enough moisture to tighten things up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:54 pm

Dem guys above--yep. In case there's anyone who doesn't know, tiny cakes of beeswax can be had at health food emporia for about a buck U.S., as I remember, and one used for pipe smokerly purposes should last about a century by my reckoning. (This doesn't include meerschaum rewaxing, I wouldn't think. I know zip about the latter.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:36 pm

My approach is to snip a tiny strip of paper, put it on the end of the mouthpiece and slip it into the pipe. ( size -- start with maybe .25 X 1") If it's still loose, cut a little wider strip. If it's now too tight, cut a smaller strip. The strip shouldn't be so long that it protrudes into the airway. Then just tear off any tag end that extends out of the pipe stem. I like the paper that come as advert cards in magazines, but any quality paper will serve.  No flame. Nothing can go amiss that can't be easily remedied. Usually, a few smokes also works, though not always. Easy peezy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:35 am

KevinM wrote:
My approach is to snip a tiny strip of paper, put it on the end of the mouthpiece and slip it into the pipe. ( size -- start with maybe .25 X 1") If it's still loose, cut a little wider strip. If it's now too tight, cut a smaller strip. The strip shouldn't be so long that it protrudes into the airway. Then just tear off any tag end that extends out of the pipe stem. I like the paper that come as advert cards in magazines, but any quality paper will serve.  No flame. Nothing can go amiss that can't be easily remedied. Usually, a few smokes also works, though not always. Easy peezy.

Ha! This was what my father did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Yep, tried and true. I remember my grandfather and his friends using this method in an effort to prolong the service of a favorite "coupon pipe."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:54 pm

Question: Do you melt the beeswax or just rub it on?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:59 pm

smoker13 wrote:
Question: Do you melt the beeswax or just rub it on?  

Just rub it on. Like Brylcreem. A little dab will do ya!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
smoker13

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks to all for the Beeswax solution. It's proven to be the Bee's Knees! I'm completely satisfied with the outcome I've had on 3 troublesome pipes. The Brotherhood prevails yet again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:12 am

The "Bee's" get all the credit Wink Wink Wink cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dottie Warden

Registration date : 2014-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Loose Stems   Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:35 am

ftrplt wrote:
Hmmm...I have done the "bee's wax" thingy to fine results without resorting to flame!! I'm not brave enough nor good enough to try AJ's method Smile Generally just smoking the pipe more frequently works for me. Good luck cheers FTRPLT

Me too. I have a sweet looking Chacom 815 I bought as new old stock. The only problem was a loose stem. As I couldn't wait to try my new pipe I just got to smoking it and low and behold she smokes perfectly. Now the stem didn't tighten right up but it's nowhere near as loose as it was and I find no reason to fiddle with it.

It's a miracle!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Loose Stems
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1