HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
 

 Rose and Geranium readiness

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 56
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

Rose and Geranium readiness Empty
PostSubject: Rose and Geranium readiness   Rose and Geranium readiness EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Yuppers, I hear tell that those Lakeland baccies will ghost a pipe, and being short on cobs I figured I better come up with a couple of dedicated smokers for the tests...

One is ready, the other needs work obviously....

Rose and Geranium readiness 07281610

Rose and Geranium readiness 07281611

Rose and Geranium readiness 07281612

Rose and Geranium readiness 07281613

Rose and Geranium readiness 07281614

Rose and Geranium readiness 07281615

Yah, the second one I haven't decided on a long or short approach......
Back to top Go down
kitobi

kitobi

Age : 49
Location : uk, plymouth
Registration date : 2015-05-30

Rose and Geranium readiness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rose and Geranium readiness   Rose and Geranium readiness EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 4:35 am

fantastic pipe, great workmanship. plus I like the little bag of baby pipes in the background just waiting to be born Smile
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 66
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Rose and Geranium readiness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rose and Geranium readiness   Rose and Geranium readiness EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 7:57 am

Neat look'en pipes OW, on the 2nd one I would go with a flush fitting stem, maybe even a saddle stem.
No need to take the easy road with a freehand stem, test yourself. Maybe even hand cut one. I know you can do it. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 56
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

Rose and Geranium readiness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rose and Geranium readiness   Rose and Geranium readiness EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Neat look'en pipes OW, on the 2nd one I would go with a flush fitting stem, maybe even a saddle stem.
No need to take the easy road with a freehand stem, test yourself. Maybe even hand cut one. I know you can do it. Wink

Thanks Ron! I'm glad you have faith in my abilities. The last time I tried my hand at using my DeWalt screw gun to make stems from rod stock was, well, a costly disaster. I was hoping to get a lathe and drill press this summer, but a zero turn radius mower was required by the Queen. So there you have it. The stem in the pictures is a Missouri Meerschaum stem from an old cob.

If I don't make it from wood, I ain't got the guts to hand tool an acrylic or Vulcanite stem from scratch. The boss says I get testy enough when I screw up a week of work in an instant with a slip of the hand....


Soon though.............Wink
Back to top Go down
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Age : 37
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

Rose and Geranium readiness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rose and Geranium readiness   Rose and Geranium readiness EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Ron's raising the bar on you, Wiz. But I think he's right, when you get the tools for the job, I believe you'll be all over the hand cut stem!
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 66
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Rose and Geranium readiness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rose and Geranium readiness   Rose and Geranium readiness EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Neat look'en pipes OW, on the 2nd one I would go with a flush fitting stem, maybe even a saddle stem.
No need to take the easy road with a freehand stem, test yourself. Maybe even hand cut one. I know you can do it. Wink

Thanks Ron! I'm glad you have faith in my abilities. The last time I tried my hand at using my DeWalt screw gun to make stems from rod stock was, well, a costly disaster. I was hoping to get a lathe and drill press this summer, but a zero turn radius mower was required by the Queen. So there you have it. The stem in the pictures is a Missouri Meerschaum stem from an old cob.

 If I don't make it from wood, I ain't got the guts to hand tool an acrylic or Vulcanite stem from scratch. The boss says I get testy enough when I screw up a week of work in an instant with a slip of the hand....


 Soon though.............Wink  

If you can satisfactory face off the shank of a stummel, as it looks in the photos, you should have no problem facing off some rod stock and drilling it. As long as you have a drill motor and a few of the correct bits. You can purchase ready made Delrin tenons and a slot tool cheap. Just PM me.
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
AJ

AJ

Age : 71
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Rose and Geranium readiness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rose and Geranium readiness   Rose and Geranium readiness EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 5:59 pm

Looking good Oz! Should make a fine pipe for Lakelands or any other tobacco you choose to run through it. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 56
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

Rose and Geranium readiness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rose and Geranium readiness   Rose and Geranium readiness EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks AJ!

Ron, I use a 4x24 belt sander sitting on it's side on a piece of OSB with a few screws placed around it to keep it from moving for most of my shaping and I eyeball the face of the stummel. I test fit all the parts before assembly of course. I basically make pipes like a caveman....... It just takes a lot of time and hand sanding. Did I say time?
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 66
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Rose and Geranium readiness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rose and Geranium readiness   Rose and Geranium readiness EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 9:19 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Thanks AJ!

 Ron, I use a 4x24 belt sander sitting on it's side on a piece of OSB with a few screws placed around it to keep it from moving for most of my shaping and I eyeball the face of the stummel. I test fit all the parts before assembly of course. I basically make pipes like a caveman....... It just takes a lot of time and hand sanding. Did I say time?

Hey, nothing I haven't had to do making things in the past before I got a bit of tooling.
Hell, you should see the lathe I have, they said I couldn't make pipes on it. A long time ago
I learned to do with what you have. Mama taught me a lot from her experience living through
the Depression and Dust Bowl days and I thank her every day. Too bad these young whelps today
haven't a clue.
I'm going to PM ya and give you my contact info so we can talk more on this subject without me or you having to think, type, edit, etc. and post. Never could get use to this typing what I'm thinking and have it ever come out the way I say it in my head. 5)
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
 
Rose and Geranium readiness
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: