HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Who still polishes shoes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DAL

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Who still polishes shoes?   Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Today, I decided, would be a good day to deep-clean, de-oxidize, polish and shine some of the more neglected members of my rotation.

As I'm workin' along, putting a bit of carnuba on a bowl that need just a touch of shine, I thought of being a kid and how Saturday mornings included "shoe polishing chores". This was always done on Saturday so that things would be all spiffy for church and the following school week.

If I wanted a little extra allowance, Dad would have a pair or two of his wing-tips that might need attention too!

Does that take anybody else back "in the day"? (I can't even think of the last time I polished a pair of shoes!)

Yours,
--DAL

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:46 pm

Odd you should ask. I just got a new tube of polish today from Allen-Edmonds, so yeah, I still polish shoes. Guess it depends on what type of shoes you wear; I haven't owned sneakers or the like since school days, loathe sandals, espadrilles, moccassins, etc. I'll make a small concession for deck shoes, but cowboy boots, wing-tips, cap toes, and penny loafers work for me, and they all require some degree of polish, even if half-assed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:13 pm

My Sunday go'en ta meet'en boots but, the ones I wear every day.....hardly. 5)

Had to polish my own shoes and boots since I was old enough to put them on by myself but. not much anymore cause the Sunday best don't get worn much anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
DAL

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Gents, you're making me feel better. I was feeling a bit like a dinosaur! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:53 pm

DAL wrote:
Gents, you're making me feel better. I was feeling a bit like a dinosaur! Very Happy

Naw! Dinosaur's are much younger. Wink
Back to top Go down
DAL

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:44 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
DAL wrote:

<he he he> Takes one to... Very Happy

Doing a bit of laundry tonight and noticed my ancient, metal toe, Red Wing work boots in the corner. It's not quite "polishing" but me thinks I'm gonna giv'em a once over.

You know, on the theory that if you treat them right; the'll last forever.

Yours,
--DAL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:37 pm

DAL wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
DAL wrote:

<he he he> Takes one to... Very Happy

Doing a bit of laundry tonight and noticed my ancient, metal toe, Red Wing work boots in the corner. It's not quite "polishing" but me thinks I'm gonna giv'em a once over.

You know, on the theory that if you treat them right; the'll last forever.

Yours,
--DAL

I had to wear steel toes when I was with the railroad, and I think your feet, mainly your toes will wear out before they ever will no matter how there taken care of. I hated them then and still hate'em. And no, I didn't have cheap ones, I don't remember the brand but, I think it started with a "W"? scratch
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:38 am

My Horse hauling boots were saddle soaped and polished weekly.
My chemical hauling boots were never so much as wiped off from cradle to grave. Latex, emulsion, Oil, and basically anything else you can stick in a 407 or a damnable rubber lined 412 will pretty much wreck your new boots "those are nice" in one haul. Lol

Now that I'm retired, boots? Nope. I may put tennis shoes on but it's usually Nike Slides.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:54 am

I always remember my father telling me that you can learn a lot about a man by the way his shoes look. I took it to mean attention to detail and the desire to have the "complete package." When you walk around, look at the shoes of men/women in business attire. I would say well over half of them are wearing shoes they have had since their high school graduation and wore through a mud slide. Not that it means anything about the person, it just looks like they couldn't bother to put a little extra effort in their appearance.

So yes, I polish my shoes regularly (even my golf shoes). On an other note, I find it to be very therapeutic. I know that sounds weird, but I kinda lose my self in thought while I shine my shoes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:19 am

Me!  I polish my shoes, a lot!

My earliest memories of shoe polishing is with my father who, every morning, used to pull out the shoe shine kit so he, my brother and I could shine our work and school shoes.  I can remember that dad's shoe shine kit was kept in a wooden box that contained egg powder from WWII; eggs of course were rationed so powdered eggs were the closest most folks got to the real thing.  I've never forgotten that box.

In a former, fairly recent role, I used 'spit and polish' every day.  Now that I've 'retired' and taken on another work role I bought a good pair of brogues and derbys.  Perhaps due to my spit and polish days I take great pride in polishing these almost on a daily basis.  As per Mo's comments I find the whole experience therapeutic and each time it reminds me of those early days with father.  I've no idea where the egg box went, but I now use an old ammo tin to keep my shoe shine kit in.  Works a treat!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:56 am

Back in the day when we would interview prof/tech level folks for employment.. we always checked shoe care or lack off. You wouldn't believe some of the messes we ran into.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:33 pm

You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes.  And don't even get me started on seeing a guy in a suit without a shoeshine Evil or Very Mad !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:55 pm

Idlefellow wrote:
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes.  And don't even get me started on seeing a guy in a suit without a shoeshine Evil or Very Mad !

These guys would show up in expensive suits wearing expensive watches but their shoes looked like crap.. poor polish jobs and worn down heels and soles. Not to mention couldnt they watch a video about how to tie a tie?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:50 pm

I still have Grandpa's shoe shine box. Has the foot rest and all the goodies. I still have four or five pairs of shoes I shine when they need it. They all have their own boxes I keep them in so it keeps them dust free. I've got a couple of pairs of jump boots that take polish as well, they however reside in the back of the closet in the bug out bags.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitobi

Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:34 am

used to find polishing shoes and bulling boots to a high gloss quite therapeutic, especially my parade boots, it felt like an achievement to have a shine on them that you could use to shave lol.

these days I hardly wear shoes at all, had an accident that left me with nasty sciatica and now I cant wear anything that has a heel.

wear the dreaded crocs in work mostly because they weigh nothing, and if the sciatica bites I can just kick em off for a few hrs until it subsides again.

saves taking tons of drugs to supress the pain that turn me into a zombie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:36 pm

kitobi wrote:
used to find polishing shoes and bulling boots to a high gloss quite therapeutic, especially my parade boots, it felt like an achievement to have a shine on them that you could use to shave lol.

these days I hardly wear shoes at all, had an accident that left me with nasty sciatica and now I cant wear anything that has a heel.

wear the dreaded crocs in work mostly because they weigh nothing, and if the sciatica bites I can just kick em off for a few hrs until it subsides again.

saves taking tons of drugs to supress the pain that turn me into a zombie.

What Service were you in mate?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:11 pm

As an Army brat and son of a retired SGM, my brother and I were well acquainted with shining shoes. In our house, Saturday was "shoe day" when all of his and our shoes were shined and then inspected. If they met his approval and chores were completed, the rest of the day was ours.

I'm still a wing-tip guy for work and while I shine my shoes and boots, it's not with the same frequency. My father is now legally blind, but sometimes I'm still embarrassed by my shoes even though I know he can't see them any longer. Of course I still shine his Sunday shoes for him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DAL

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:04 pm

I mentioned how therapeutic and nostalgic it felt to polish up my leather footwear to a good friend of mine. He's about 15 years my junior. (Saddly, he isn't a piper.)

His reaction was one of amusement. When asked what tickled him about it, he replied it was how my having "Saturday chores" reminded him of our age difference.  Very Happy

Now, about a week later, he reported that after a trip to Walmart, followed by a couple of YouTube searches, he had proudly produced a few pair of nicely shined shoes!

Then the remarkable thing. "I dunno. I think my shoes seem happier." It was my turn to be amused.

I had to tell him that it wasn't just his imagination. They ARE happier. Just like when your car seems happier after a day at the spa (oil change, wash, vacuum, and wax).

Just had to share that.
--DAL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitobi

Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 am

Stick wrote:

What Service were you in mate?[/quote]

Hiya Stick

been in the NHS since '98
I joined as TA and the Devon and Dorset's from 2001 til 2007 and they were disbanded and became "The Rifles" luckily enough I was present at Exeter cathedral when the colours were laid down.

I "retired" in 2013 approx. 5 years after completing my sergeants exams and moved onto teaching pre services cohorts and university OTC until I hit my 40's,
then it was time to bow out gracefully, there's only so long you can keep up with a fresh group of 17 year olds every 16 weeks lol.
plus holding down a full time job as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Having grown up with a father who had been in the 82nd Airborne and myself having been in the Marines shining shoes and boots was standard procedure in my house though I don't do it as much these days ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil When I was growing up, Saturday was "shine day" and I still find myself shining my few pairs of shoes and boots then today !! Since I'm retired now, a good saddle soaping with a buff is pretty much all I do now. KISS it !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:55 pm

My late Pap had one of those boxes with a foot rest on the top and the box contained all necessary polishes, brushes for applying and buffing, polishing rags, and so forth.

As a kid it was my task to polish his shoes on a regular basis. I grew to love this as the scent of the polish and the task brought me pleasure.

Even now when I no longer have any shoes that need polishing I can still recall the aroma of the polish and how much it meant to my Pap.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Bonanzadriver

Registration date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Great Thread!

Growin up, in the 60's and 70's, I used to sit on the back porch with my pop and help him polish his cowboy boots.

When I enlisted in the Navy I found that I and the other recruits from the Philippines were the only ones in our company that knew how to polish leather shoes.

After the navy (81-87) I was a suit and tie guy until about 2 years ago. Polished my Johnson & Murphy's every weekend throughout that entire period.

My wife still finds it amusing that I have way more shoes in the closet than she does. I'm not exactly sure but I think I've got somewhere over 20 pair of dress shoes, not to mention sneakers, boots, flip flops and a dozen or so pair of golf shoes.

To this day I can't stand to have scuffed shoes. Call it OCD or anal retentive, I just feel like I've got a mustard stain on my shirt if my shoes are roached out. (lawn mowing sneakers excluded) Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Yup, I still polish my leather shoes and boots. On my Boots I finish off with a mixture of Bee's wax and mineral oil, let stand for an hour then buff. Great water repellent and leather protectant.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Last edited by Lonecoyote on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

Registration date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Yup, I still polish my leather shoes and boots. On my Boots I finish off with a mixture of Bee's wax and mineral, let stand for an hour then buff. Great water repellent and leather protectant.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I picked up a good trick (hack) while in the Navy.

For years I traveled and found it impractical to bring shining supplies along with me.

If the shoes had a good basic shine, which they always did, I would simply put a sock over my hand and buff em up when i got back to the hotel or before I would head out in the morning.

To this day, I'll give the sock a quick try before I break out the kit.

Funny enough, now that we're getting into the spring/summer season I find that I wear golfin shorts and shirt most days, and as a result, most days I'm sportin flip flops.

However, on Sunday, I don the slacks and dress shoes and head off to church. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Who still polishes shoes?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Count me as a polisher, too. I wore a school uniform as a teen and a military uniform as a young adult, so I guess the shoe-shining things is baked into my DNA at this point. Can't stand to see or wear scuffed, dirty, or otherwise messed up dress shoes. Cleaning and polishing a pair of shoes takes 2 minutes out of your life but adds so much more to your appearance, IMHO.

I don't have call for dress shoes very often at this point, but when I do, they shine before I go out the door. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com

Who still polishes shoes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next