HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi folks,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. If not, Mods, please move at your discretion.

I acquired a vintage 7 oz tin of Middleton's Cherry Blend some time ago and have just moved the contents to a mason jar. I'd like to try to identify a production era if I could.

The tin lists the company address as King of Prussia, PA, which I know through research the company occupied in 1960. So potentially I've got some 56 year old baccy here.

I'd like to put a date at the other end of the timeline. Middleton doesn't tin Cherry Blend anymore. If I can find the year the tins were discontinued I'd know the latest year this batch could have been produced.

Anyone up on their Codger blend history?

The baccy, by the way, was crispy dry but otherwise unaffected by its long stay in the tin. I rehydrated it slowly overnight last night and jarred it up this morning. I'll let it sit for a few days before sampling. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:52 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Hi folks,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. If not, Mods, please move at your discretion.

I acquired a vintage 7 oz tin of Middleton's Cherry Blend some time ago and have just moved the contents to a mason jar. I'd like to try to identify a production era if I could.

The tin lists the company address as King of Prussia, PA, which I know through research the company occupied in 1960. So potentially I've got some 56 year old baccy here.

I'd like to put a date at the other end of the timeline. Middleton doesn't tin Cherry Blend anymore. If I can find the year the tins were discontinued I'd know the latest year this batch could have been produced.

The baccy, by the way, was crispy dry but otherwise unaffected by its long stay in the tin. I rehydrated it slowly overnight last night and jarred it up this morning. I'll let it sit for a few days before sampling.  Smile

Apart from guys like Jiminks, one who might be up on these could be Hufflepuff since he has experience with very old codger blends. However, he's undergoing some personal issues right now that command his full attention.

Yet there should be some of those with long piping histories here who might be helpful. Dare I say monbla? (And invoking his name, Michael seems to be conspicuously absent as of late. Hope he's OK)

And perhaps ftrplp, AJ, and a few others who have been at the pipe for a long time.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Brewdude wrote:
ontariopiper wrote:
Hi folks,

The baccy, by the way, was crispy dry but otherwise unaffected by its long stay in the tin. I rehydrated it slowly overnight last night and jarred it up this morning. I'll let it sit for a few days before sampling.  Smile

Apart from guys like Jiminks, one who might be up on these could be Hufflepuff since he has experience with very old codger blends. However, he's undergoing some personal issues right now that command his full attention.

Yet there should be some of those with long piping histories here who might be helpful. Dare I say monbla? (And invoking his name, Michael seems to be conspicuously absent as of late. Hope he's OK)

And perhaps ftrplp, AJ, and a few others who have been at the pipe for a long time.

Cheers,

RR

Funny you mentioned Monbla is MIA. I've also noticed AJ has fallen off the planet..... No response to PM's for a few days now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:05 am

Middleton discontinued a number of their blends between late 2005 and early 2007. There has been some dispute as to exactly when each blend last was tinned, but that 16 month period seems to fall between the suggestions. I don't know if this was one of those blends or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:46 am

I haven't seen those seven-ounce cans since the late '60s, possibly early '70s. I'm not saying that's when they were discontinued, but even back then they were kind of rare. They had the flip-key lid, right?--or whatever it's called. Seems like that might date them. Mixture No. 79 was the most often seen in my part of the tobaccosphere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:10 pm

Unfortunately, since I gave up on aromatics way back when, I'm not much help. I paid no attention to when these blends changed packaging or went away. Yes, the larger (7 oz. ?)tins I remember had the "flip key" opener around the top. That "package" was very common for many blends back in the day!! One thing I do regret concerning my pipe smoking adventure is that I failed to note when "changes" occurred. Things like packaging, markings, metal vs. paper, lid markings, etc. I, like so many other "codgers," never imagined a world without BS 759 or Dunhill not really being made by Dunhill. Or all the wonderful blends we had that went away or just retreated to Europe due to our mucked up smoke-Nazi legislation Evil or Very Mad I apologize for the rant and misdirecting this thread!!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Ontariopiper, if you have pics of the tin that would be a great deal of help. If pics aren't possible, just look for a SKU. If there isn't one its from before approximately 1973-5. Some companies were slow to adopt the SKU but as I recall all had by the mid 70's.

Hope that helps
Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:

Funny you mentioned Monbla is MIA. I've also noticed AJ has fallen off the planet..... No response to PM's for a few days now.

Sorry guys but I've been dealing with my back problem and the Neuropathy in my hands sometimes flares up and makes typing too painful.

I spoke with Michael on the phone today and he is still with us. He had a new air conditioner installed today and now hopefully he will be able to spend a little time in the room where his computer sits. He said it was up to 98 degrees in there before he added the new unit. He was cheerful and upbeat and plans to be posting again. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:36 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Ontariopiper, if you have pics of the tin that would be a great deal of help. If pics aren't possible, just look for a SKU. If there isn't one its from before approximately 1973-5. Some companies were slow to adopt the SKU but as I recall all had by the mid 70's.

Hope that helps
Jim

Thanks, Jim! That's great info. No SKU on this one, so it's an earlier tub, circa 1960-1975.

Here are a few picks.

Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:53 pm

Great find! I never thought I'd find a use for knowing when they started bar coding products was but it's helped me date more than a few tins over the years.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:05 am

For what it's worth, the ZIP code indicates post-July 1, 1963.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:37 am

And the window narrows again! Thank you Mr Burley. 😀
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:31 am

That's not a cardboard "tin can" is it? I could swear the ones I'm familiar with were all steel--so I will: &%#@!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:34 am

Nope. All metal.
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:25 am

This particular "package" back in the mid-60's would have the metal "flipper" opener around the rim. Howsomeever, I have no idea when they stopped putting the flipper on the can! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??   Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:51 am

Most of the cans I've picked up over the years from this period were missing the flipper. Not sure why but folk seem to like prying them off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Anyone know when Middleton 7 oz cans were discontinued??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1