HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Did'jah ever?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Did'jah ever?   Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:35 am

Did you ever have someone tell you they are ready and they aren't? Tomorrow I'm meeting with the architect and the inspector to explain that the weight of the fireplace I'm planning on building will not be supported by the framing in place. The materials delivered for the project already have broken the driveway, and it is solid concrete. The last few days have been a hang up due to the weekend, and so I wait with anticipation for my meetings tomorrow. I don't relish these types of meetings, which is why I shed the suits many many moons ago. Egos will bounce, but the facts will be stark. I hope everyone will understand engineering. Perhaps if I draw pictures?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:46 am

It sounds like either the driveway hasn't any rebar and or wasn't compacted properly before pouring, or maybe someone needs to think Rock Facade Fireplace. Wink
Cause if the driveway is any indication of how strong the foundation is, somebody better rethink something I think.

Oh! And all the time sir. 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 pm

Hope the meeting went better than expected and everyone understood engineering, laws of physics, basic math, etc. Bruised ego better than catastrophic structural failure.
Please let us know how it turns out. afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:35 pm

My experience is that anytime an inspector gets involved things get difficult/impossible. And half the time they're FOS and just want to lord over everything.

Hope it doesn't come down that way Ozzie. Fingers and toes crossed!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:24 pm

How do we decide who is right and who is wrong?
The easy answer is that the inspector is right.
How are you going to convince him?
Psychology or diagrams?
Maybe both.
Let us know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:57 pm

I'd just pack up and head for home. I'd tell them to call me when they had ALL of their ducks in a row. That's just me. My tolerance  for red tape, incompetence, and ignorance is almost non existent. That's one reason I stay home and out of the public. No

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:40 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
I'd just pack up and head for home. I'd tell them to call me when they had ALL of their ducks in a row. That's just me. My tolerance  for red tape, incompetence, and ignorance is almost non existent. That's one reason I stay home and out of the public.  No

AJ

There's a lot to be said for that stance AJ.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:48 pm

The meeting was a blast. Got to meet the head plans examiner and county inspector, neither of which had originally approved the plans nor gave approval for cover. I provided Tyvek suits so they could join me in the crawl space and visually inspect the framing and compare them to the plans on site. It was a hoot. I kept them down there as long as I could, probably 15 minutes. As crawl spaces go, it was pretty clean, and not too damp.............

We came out and pretty much wrapped it up. They agreed that a piece of trailer I-beam balanced on a car jack was insufficient support for 2x6 floor joists spanned 10 feet. Not to mention that it wasn't as described in the approved plans. There is unfortunately now a stop work order until the whole thing gets sorted.

The driveway was apparently filled with sheet rock, insulation, and wood debris and then poured over. (No rebar, wire, anything.) The pour was almost three inches thick though. (smirk)

I did get to go to a couple of corn and brat festivals while I was there, got to meet the home owner, got a weekend away and got paid for travel expenses. Drank all kinds of beverages. My Lord those folks can toss 'em back.....

Bottom line, saved myself a potential lawsuit for crushing the house's floor, made some friends, taught some lessons, traveled a bit, and will be passing corn until next April. No matter how hard I try, things work out................

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
The meeting was a blast. Got to meet the head plans examiner and county inspector, neither of which had originally approved the plans nor gave approval for cover. I provided Tyvek suits so they could join me in the crawl space and visually inspect the framing and compare them to the plans on site. It was a hoot. I kept them down there as long as I could, probably 15 minutes. As crawl spaces go, it was pretty clean, and not too damp.............

We came out and pretty much wrapped it up. They agreed that a piece of trailer I-beam balanced on a car jack was insufficient support for 2x6 floor joists spanned 10 feet. Not to mention that it wasn't as described in the approved plans. There is unfortunately now a stop work order until the whole thing gets sorted.

The driveway was apparently filled with sheet rock, insulation, and wood debris and then poured over. (No rebar, wire, anything.) The pour was almost three inches thick though. (smirk)

I did get to go to a couple of corn and brat festivals while I was there, got to meet the home owner, got a weekend away and got paid for travel expenses. Drank all kinds of beverages. My Lord those folks can toss 'em back.....

Bottom line, saved myself a potential lawsuit for crushing the house's floor, made some friends, taught some lessons, traveled a bit, and will be passing corn until next April. No matter how hard I try, things work out................

Well then Ozzie, that must qualify for one of life's more memorable moments eh? Not to mention the party mindset of the Cheeseheads when it come to brats/beer/fresh corn-on-the-cob, and whatnot.

rabbit

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:

Why am I not surprised, I swear everywhere you look nowadays there's some yahoo calling himself a contractor and this is the kind of pride filled job they do, or should I say crap filled job?
Glad it worked out well for you in the end sir. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:00 pm

I was taught that the only reason a client should call you back was for another project, not to fix what you already did. It doesn't pay to get people unhappy with your work or customer service, but the work should be able to stand on it's own, without question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:38 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I was taught that the only reason a client should call you back was for another project, not to fix what you already did. It doesn't pay to get people unhappy with your work or customer service, but the work should be able to stand on it's own, without question.

Right on bro!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:25 pm

Wow! Just wow! How in the world anyone can allow that kind of negligence is beyond me. You know the head contractor is going to blame it on one or more of the subcontractors. I just can't understand how the guy is still in business. Glad you came out of this without being covered in crap!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Did'jah ever?   Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Sounds like a great outcome Wiz?

Had real potential to be FUBAR but looks like you came out smiling.

I'm happy for you mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Did'jah ever?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: