HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Smoked my first Falcon !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:02 pm

After over 40 years of knowing other smokers who smoked 'em and reading the enthusiasm of folks who smoked 'em here I got mysef a Falcon blasted Dublin from Bro Matia before I went in for my surgery. I got the anodized bronze finish as the clear anodized aluminum is just to industrial in appearance for me !! Twisted Evil
I had my first smoke since my surgery back in April in my "new" pipe and I was blown away by how smooth and cool this pipe smoked !! Those old codgers who smoked these back when I was younger knew a thing or two for sure !! Loaded it up with a bowl of McC's 5100 w a cuppa NOLA chiccory coffee and sat back for a lovely hour of smoke !! Just might have to get a few more of these puppies in the future !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:46 pm

That cool smoke is what I like about them. The bowl coming off the stem is a nice bonus.
I had one for most of my smoking career but it is buried in a box somewhere from when I moved back home a couple years ago.

I was looking for one, willing to trade, or sell goods n pay cash, but our resident Logic (BH, best thing I have done for the board was recruiting him into the Admin/Mod fold) gifted me one because that's just the way he rolls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:40 am

Oh my, yes, I really like the Falcons. I'm kinda hard on mine and they are the preferred traveling pipe. Industrial, yes. It's like having a Timex pipe. It takes a lickin' and keeps on puffin'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:09 pm

Damn. I may have to try one. This has been posted before, but the story of the Falcon can be purchased for Kindle, for the newly curious. Three bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Ashes-Uncovering-History-Falcon-ebook/dp/B006VOOFNC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1471449488&sr=1-1&keywords=back+from+the+ashes
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Ya just got to try St Bruno in it. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Michael I'm glad you've discovered how good a Falcon can smoke. You might as well get a few more. Twisted Evil

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:13 pm

Falcons are great smokes. Glad you gave one a try!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:45 pm

I've thought about it a few times, but I always figured they were more of a gizmo novelty than an actual pipe worth smoking. I finally got a Kirsten a year or so back, had high hopes, and was pretty disappointed. I thought it was cool as heck, but it didn't smoke well.

Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:17 pm

Have a Falcon, but it needs to have a better seal of the bowl as it sucks air. Need to fit an O-ring or somesuch. I've really wanted to like it.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:14 am

The Falcons are great little pipes. Super light and smoke cool. The industrial look is a turn off for me but I still like them in spite of that. I gifted my last falcon to a brother here and hope he still enjoys it. I've got a Kirstan too and it's a darned decent smoke. I don't use it much as I smoke outside and I get enough grief from the local police. I've also got a few Chinese knockoffs of "The Pipe" now those are a real surprise as far as being decent smokers. If you're having issues with any of these pipes try a very fine shag cut tobacco very loosely packed. Puff very gently and they will usually do better.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:09 am

I'm doing a little poking around. From what I gather in reading some forum and blog discussions, the present, modern era Falcon pipes have nylon mouthpieces and a more open metal airway tube whereas the older ones had vulcanite mouthpieces and a narrower airway. Supposedly the newer design is a big improvement. When I had my Kirsten the big negative for me was the vulcanite mouthpiece (hate vulcanite for the most part, tastes like old tires) and the very narrow metal innertube. I had heard that Kirsten was making new pipes again, but they were on-again off-again and good luck getting one with the better acrylic mouthpieces. Looks like the Falcon pipes are plentiful. Might be worth a try.

SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:30 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
I've thought about it a few times, but I always figured they were more of a gizmo novelty than an actual pipe worth smoking. I finally got a Kirsten a year or so back, had high hopes, and was pretty disappointed. I thought it was cool as heck, but it didn't smoke well.

I have 4 Falcons and I adore them.

Bought a Kirsten to try it but...... Evil or Very Mad

Got rid of it very quickly. Gifted it to a friend who wanted one for display purposes only. Might be the only use it's suited for.

Only Falcons smoke like Falcons do Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:31 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Damn. I may have to try one. This has been posted before, but the story of the Falcon can be purchased for Kindle, for the newly curious. Three bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Ashes-Uncovering-History-Falcon-ebook/dp/B006VOOFNC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1471449488&sr=1-1&keywords=back+from+the+ashes

Go for it, you'll never regret it bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:46 am

Just the ticket for the POTY Michael?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:10 am

Absolutely. All existing Falcon fans unite...or... try one for the very first time.

This year's BoB Pipe of the Year is the glorious Falcon. Send in your bowl for engraving for just twenty bucks plus $5 insured return shipping. Buy a slick new setup or send in one of your existing bowls! Follow the play by play on the official POY thread.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t33445-the-official-bob-2016-pipe-of-the-year-thread

I think of the Falcon as being Steam Punk. It has significant 'cool'. It is an American classic. And, bottom line, it performs well on multiple levels.

View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:31 am

Puff Daddy wrote:

I do not like Kirstens at all... Was it Regor on Knox that praised Kirstens merits all the time?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:59 am

puros_bran wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:

I do not like Kirstens at all... Was it Regor on Knox that praised Kirstens merits all the time?

So many obstacles to becoming a pipe smoker! Kirsten was one of them--the first pipe I ever heaved at age 16 with no regrets, in spite of a rather skimpy income.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
kitobi

Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:55 pm

i just got my first falcon a Shillelagh style and its pretty darn awesome

I have seen "old people" using these and dismissed them but hey I'm happy to be counted amongst their ranks now

andy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:39 pm

kitobi wrote:
i just got my first falcon a Shillelagh style and its pretty darn awesome

I have seen "old people" using these and dismissed them but hey I'm happy to be counted amongst their ranks now

andy

'Old people?' Well I never.........................................................

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitobi

Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:32 pm

lol even with the silver beard id not pitch you as "old" the guys I used to see knew the floor well as they were that bent over, not seen them in a number of years so I guess they are smoking blends in a different existence now..

but aside the falcon is a good smoke still
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Smoked my first Falcon !!   Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:44 pm

It's a perfect pipe for Pensioner's Blend.

View user profile

Smoked my first Falcon !!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1