HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Unemployed Lumber Worker and His Wife 1939

An RAF pilot getting a haircut while reading a book between missions

Union Soldiers taking a break 1863

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Very cool!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Great pictures Rande. They just evoke so many questions; 2nd pictured definitely a Spitfire, but what Sqn and which airfield? 3rd picture, what scrapes had they been in together? (Most of them could do with seeing the barber in the pic above too). And of course, what were they smoking?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Some neat pics. Did you do them Brew? If so, change the color of the leather on the boots. They had everything in black leather back during the Civil War. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:40 pm

A few points if I may!!

First, the top picture was the subject of a major discussion on this board years ago. Mainly as to what pipe is the man smoking (lots of guessing here) and guesses as to what tobacco (some Burley blend being the favorite). Yours truly commented on what an attractive wife he had!!!!

Second, being an old fighter pilot with a bit of knowledge of even older fighters, the WWII Spitfire pilot picture intrigued me. I have no idea as to unit or where the pic was taken. I do know that it was later in the war. The plane has a four-bladed propeller. The earlier Spits had three-bladed props. I'm not sure what 'Mark" this Spit is; I just can't see enough detail. It may be Merlin-powered or a later Griffon-powered one. The Griffs did have four-bladed props; the later Merlin-engine ones "may" have had four. I just don't remember off the top of my head. The plane also has (I think, the pic is hazy) what is called the "E" wing...two 20mm. cannon and two .50cal machine guns.

The third pic from the War of Northern Aggression!!! IIRC, the young, blond-headed officer on the bottom right is George Armstrong Custer. Again, IIRC. May be way off on this one.

FWIW cheers FTRPLT

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:08 pm

ftrplt wrote:
Second, being an old fighter pilot with a bit of knowledge of even older fighters, the WWII Spitfire pilot picture intrigued me. I have no idea as to unit or where the pic was taken. I do know that it was later in the war. The plane has a four-bladed propeller. The earlier Spits had three-bladed props. I'm not sure what 'Mark" this Spit is; I just can't see enough detail. It may be Merlin-powered or a later Griffon-powered one. The Griffs did have four-bladed props; the later Merlin-engine ones "may" have had four. I just don't remember off the top of my head. The plane also has (I think, the pic is hazy) what is called the "E" wing...two 20mm. cannon and two .50cal machine guns.

FWIW cheers FTRPLT

Elsewhere on the Internet it says
Quote :
Britain, November 1942,Fairlop Airfield in Essex.
But there never seems to be a clear enough view of the airplane.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Interesting comments chaps.

I've just noticed that the fellow having his hair cut is also a SNCO as opposed to a commissioned rank. This was common practice during the war due to the lack of available pilots, though is no longer permitted in the current RAF, no matter the platform (rotary, multis or the fast boys). SNCOs are now utilised as aircrew but not as jockeys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:44 pm

Stick wrote:

I've just noticed that the fellow having his hair cut is also a SNCO as opposed to a commissioned rank.  This was common practice during the war due to the lack of available pilots, though is no longer permitted in the current RAF, no matter the platform (rotary, multis or the fast boys).  SNCOs are now utilised as aircrew but not as jockeys.

Stick,
 For us who are ignorant of the ranks in the British military, please tell us what a SNCO is ? And how can you tell as no rank patches or collar insignia is to be seen!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:23 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Some neat pics. Did you do them Brew? If so, change the color of the leather on the boots. They had everything in black leather back during the Civil War. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

No, I didn't colorise them. Don't have the savvy. Just passed them on from another source.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:25 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Stick wrote:

I've just noticed that the fellow having his hair cut is also a SNCO as opposed to a commissioned rank.  This was common practice during the war due to the lack of available pilots, though is no longer permitted in the current RAF, no matter the platform (rotary, multis or the fast boys).  SNCOs are now utilised as aircrew but not as jockeys.

Stick,
 For us who are ignorant of the ranks in the British military, please tell us what a SNCO is ? And how can you tell as no rank patches or collar insignia is to be seen!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Hey Michael,

SNCO, Senior Non Commissioned Officer, the next rank range above Corporal (Cpl) that includes Sergeant (Sgt) to Warrant Officer (WO).

If you look on his right arm you can just see a set of stripes. Due to his flying boots I've made the assumption there's 3 stripes meaning he's a Sgt (JNCOs, Junior Non Commissioned Officers, Cpls, did not pilot in WW2). If there is a crown above these he'll be a Flight Sergeant (FS), one rank below WO.

Officers' ranks are displayed on the sleeve cuff as a series of bands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:54 am

Rande these photos are great. You have anymore? I'd love to see a couple of hundred pages of them. The one with a man and his wife was especially intriguing. Thanks for posting these. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:07 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
Rande these photos are great. You have anymore? I'd love to see a couple of hundred pages of them. The one with a man and his wife was especially intriguing.  Thanks for posting these. Smile

AJ

pm coming AJ.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)   Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:49 pm

This is the video mentioned in an article in the new issue of "Pipes & Tobacco"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999

Old pics with pipe smokers (colorised)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1