HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Snuff making

Go down 
AuthorMessage
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Snuff making   Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:22 pm

So I posted elsewhere that Ive started playing around with making my own snuff. Well today I toasted and dried out a sample of my HH ODF snuff that I fermented. I have to say it's amazing stuff. Smells like a stable that needs a good cleaning. The nic hit went from meh in the unfermented version to a very solid smack in the fermented stuff. Rough idea of what was done is 20 parts rubbed out sieved tobacco 2 parts washing soda, 1 part salt enough distilled water to mix to a paste. Let sit for minimum of 1 week. I can see doing this one on a larger scale for daily use.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Snuff making   Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Um, sounds great?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Snuff making   Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Lol. Yeah smells like a stable isn't exactly what you think of when you think good stuff. Quite a few of the high octane snuffs have a very characteristic barnyard smell to them and this is of course the odor referenced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Snuff making   Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:41 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Lol. Yeah smells like a stable isn't exactly what you think of when you think good stuff. Quite a few of the high octane snuffs have a very characteristic barnyard smell to them and this is of course the odor referenced.

Well then, nicely done! Most of the snuffs I have tried are kind of sweet/fruity, or the dreaded menthol that makes me sneeze. The bottom of my odds and ends pipe jar is looking pretty fine, maybe that could be snuff stuff?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Snuff making   Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm guessing you'd like the black snuffs then. Rosinski does one called Uckermärker, very dark tobacco flavor and aroma. Really lingers too. No fruity, minty froo-froo just solid tobacco goodness. Nice nic hit to it as well. As to the fines in the jar....as long as it smells good yes it's fair game. If you try it yourself make sure you add a bit of salt to it and enough water to get it mixed well. Let it dry down then try it out the salt makes a huge difference. 1 part salt to about 20-40 parts tobacco powder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Snuff making   Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:38 am

So I'm sitting here snuffing the HH and figured a better discription is in order. I'm not much for reviewing stuff but here goes. As mentioned above wet this stuff smells ripe. Toasted to a nice toast and rubbed out again it loses that stench and goes to a very nice smokey tobacco odor. Nice sized pinch goes up well and pretty well explodes in your nose. Very dark, rich tobacco flavor slightly smokey with some very solid sweetness. Not cloying in anyway just nice and sweet. There is definitely something leather going on in here. It's like sinking into a super comfortable old leather chair. It just has that clinging aroma to it. I seem to be picking up some fresh cut hay to the smell as well. I'm also getting coffee and some kind of citrus. Possibly a touch of hazelnut just wafting through. I'm really excited by this. A few squirts of nasal spray to be sure I'm well moisturized and its come right back to life. It's settling in as a comfortable smokey smell like a favorite old pipe smells. All in all in going to say I like this one a lot. I'm not much of a judge on the nic but I'd guess it's a good medium strength in that department.

On a different track I don't much care for MacBaren Modern Virginia as a pipe tobacco. I don't seem to have any luck getting anything out of it but steam. I've powdered this and added salt water and let it dry down. I get the apricot topping finally. I couldn't smell it at all until I salted it though. Nice bright Virginia flavor that doesn't get lost in the topping. Will have to experiment more with this one and see where it leads.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Snuff making
Page 1 of 1