HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Sentimental Tobacco.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pipeman83

Registration date : 2016-09-13

PostSubject: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:18 am

Does anybody have a sentimental tobacco? What I mean by that is a tobacco that brings back memories , a blend that your grandfather or father , or another male relative smoked that you have fond memories of, and if so, do you keep some on hand to remember that person by? For me it's Carter Hall, that's what my favorite uncle smoked and I can remember him taking that yellow foil pouch out of his pocket, filling his pipe, and smelling that aroma . I haven't had any in awhile but plan on getting some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:52 am

Yes. Half and Half. I thought all other blends were imposters until I was about 20, four years after my taking up the pipe. I think they may have also smoked Union Leader once in a while, but H&H was the one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
artvandelay

Registration date : 2016-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:30 am

My grandfather smoked Prince Albert, but all I really remember is the red tub. He would have his pipe rack and tobacco on an end table next to his recliner. He would sit there and watch Gunsmoke episodes and smoke his pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:55 am

I reckon it have to be Escudo, and remembering when it use to be real good............... Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Edgeworth. Neighbor/grandpa used to smoke it. Loved the smell then & now.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:27 pm

I have a few sentimental pipes but no blends. I guess that comes with the territory: I'm the first person in my family to have picked up the pipe, so no real memories there - just my own with my first few pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 pm

Erinmore Flake ..... unfortunately not the same anymore Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:28 pm

Half and Half was my Dad's favorite until Pinkerton changed the recipe. Now that STG has started making it and it is now very close to the original I always have some on hand. It reminds me of my Dad and I sitting in our back porch swing having a bowl together. I surely miss him and would give almost anything to be able to share anther bowl with him. One day Dad, One day... I love you

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:39 pm

...Erinmore Flake also.

Pa, my grandfather, used to smoke it. I can remember the room note but had no idea about the blend until my mum, upon learning that I had taken up the briar, pointed it out.

I don't currently have a tin open but because of Pa it'll always be in my cellar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitobi

Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:03 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
One day Dad, One day... I love you

AJ

I firmly believe you will one day AJ, hes happy to wait til your good n ready tho

sadly my uncles/grandparents etc were never "cool" enough to smoke a pipe, most of my Cornish family would never smoke as it was deemed to be burning cash and they had little to go around as it was.

I do remember as a kid of 6 or 7 sitting in the park on a very long warm summer days listening to the noise the grasshoppers used to make and smelling the sweetest most alluring smell from a pipe from a old gent that my grand dad knew, each and every time I used to visit we were always taken to the park to feed ducks and if we were lucky hed be there and I would sit next to a old timer with a pipe. I used to sit so close to the man I never really knew and the smell was so captivating. to this day I don't know what he was called or what he smoked but I do remember him
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:46 pm

I guess it would be Grandpa's Sweater for me. He never really smoked around other people that I was aware of, at least family-wise, but when you gave him a big hug the aroma lingered in his clothes, and it was such a nice campfire-ish/sweet/cookie smell. I only got his one pipe when he passed, no tobacco, so I have no idea what he smoked. But when I got into blending, I came up one that when I smoke it, it's like he's sitting there with me, watching the stars spin on their great celestial wheel...............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:13 pm

My dad smoked Paladin Black Cherry and the smell filled the house. It was my first tobacco purchase when I was a kid, back when drug store clerks didn't ask your age before they rang up your Dr. Grabow, tobacco, and Playboy,,,threw in a couple packs of matches and some pipe cleaners to boot.

Bottom line,,,set me back a couple months in my pipe smoking career wondering how anything so yummy smelling could taste so crappy. Still remember dad whenever I see it, but that's as far as it goes. lol!

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:23 pm

For me it's always Uhle's 255. It's what my Pap smoked exclusively as far as I can remember. Uhle's 255 and none other.

I've said this many times before here on this forum, but when I got into the pipe I figured if it was good enough for my Pap it was good enough for me. So that's what I started off with, and still enjoy it.

And, I always think of Pap whenever I enjoy this 'baccy.

bom

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
pipeman83

Registration date : 2016-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:11 am

Great responses so far ,thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Sentimental Tobacco.   Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:12 am

My father did smoke a pipe, but not for very long. And he stopped years before I was born.
Besides him, as far as I know, only my great-grandfather smoked a pipe.
So I guess I have no sentimental tobacco I can link to anyone in my family.
Back to top Go down

Sentimental Tobacco.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1