HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:22 pm

This question has likely been fielded before, but I'll risk the razzing to ask it again.

I'm just really beginning to build a my tobacco cellar. I've got a dozen or so tins and a half dozen mason jars in there now. My question is why the inside of my tobacco cabinet smells like pipe tobacco (specifically Nightcap, of which I have 4 tins). None of the seals seem to be ruptured, but I'm not 100% on that.

Should I be moving the baccy out of tins and into jars just in case? The Nightcap has 2-3 years on it at this point, so it's possible in my mind that the tins have been compromised.

Does your cellar smell like tobacco? If this is normal, I'll leave it be.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:27 pm

If my tobacco cellar smelled like something else I'd be worried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:33 pm

And so it begins.... 😄 That didn't take long, Cart!

But seriously, I've got tins that smell and tins that don't. Not sure if the scent is stuck in the paoer labels on the tins or uf the tins are leaking. As I mentioned above, the tins all LOOK fine.
Back to top Go down
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:39 pm

My tobacco shelves/cabinet smells like tobacco, absolutely! Don't know about you but that's where I load a lot of pipes, fill up mason jars once I open a tin... I think your tobacco is probably fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks Nate. I've only just moved my tins to this cabinet in the last few days. Before that they were in a lidded bin. The aromas were quite strong in the bin whenever I opened it. The cabinet is in my man cave room and is obviously not as airtight as the bin. I can smell the baccy as I enter the room.

To be clear, I don't object to the smell, but want to make sure my cellared blends aren't at risk.
Back to top Go down
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Are any tins currently open in the cabinet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Nope. None of the tins have been opened. There are a couple of smaller Mason jars that I dip into but those should reseal when the lid goes back on.
Back to top Go down
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Thanks Nate. I've only just moved my tins to this cabinet in the last few days. Before that they were in a lidded bin. The aromas were quite strong in the bin whenever I opened it. The cabinet is in my man cave room and is obviously not as airtight as the bin. I can smell the baccy as I enter the room.

To be clear, I don't object to the smell, but want to make sure my cellared blends aren't at risk.

Same here. Mine are kept in a plastic bin under the bed and smell of Latakia when opened. I think it is normal for a little air to escape, especially the round (dunhill) tins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:16 pm

I have not noticed a smell of anything anywhere I keep hide my tobaccos. Aroma is small particles of whatever matter is wafting around. If I smelled tobacco, I would assume a leaky container. But that's just me....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:15 pm

I agree with the Wiz. My point was that you do have some open mason jars there and those smells escape when opened, not to mention some spillage that occurs... Etc etc. I don't know, my sealed tins are sealed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:44 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I have not noticed a smell of anything anywhere I keep hide my tobaccos. Aroma is small particles of whatever matter is wafting around. If I smelled tobacco, I would assume a leaky container. But that's just me....

I totally agree. If the scent is leaking so is the flavor. I have lots of tins and jars stashed away in my closet and there is no smell of tobacco. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:23 am

I just checked my cache and there isn't really any smell of tobacco except one large canister of RLP-6 that has a slight scent about it. But it wouldn't take much spillage of latakia to change that, I'm thinking. The tins I have of this and that, some fairly old, all seem neutral. Betcha a non-smoker could smell something though. Guess that doesn't help much, does it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:09 am

Charles, any tin that smells of tobacco is leaking air somewhere. Get those tins jarred up as soon as you can. If they don't smell they should be fine. Keep in mind that those tins can build up a lot of pressure and a rubber seal is the weakest spot. I had a tin of '63 Field and Stream that was so bulged that one side of the can was a good half inch off the table top!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:18 am

Thanks, gents. I had another good look at the tins this morning and found a tin of London Mixture had popped - the lid was actually raised on one edge, so that was definitely contributing to the aroma in my cabinet! I'll have to rehydrate that one just a tad before jarring, but it otherwise looks ok.

I suspect there's another culprit. I'll be jarring up the Nightcap too, and likely a tin of C&D Burley #1 dated Sep '14 that has gone oval on me - bulges top and bottom. God thing my wife is finishes with her cannig for the season!
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:42 am

All tins are at risk. Even lids on Mason jars will go given time. Only thing to do is to check them often. Keep them smoked up. Purchase more. Laughing

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:57 am

A good morning's work! Jarred up 8 tins, all Dunhill blends except for the C&D Burley Flake.

Two of the Dunhill tins had unsealed completely, and the rest had small leaks though still "whooshed" when opened. Everything coming out of these tins was dried out to varying degrees and had to be hydrated before jarring. Some were less than a year old. Glad I caught it early. They are all now safely stored in Mason jars. I heated the jars before packing in the baccy, so they've all "popped" as they cooled. If the seal goes on a jar now, I'll know it.

Heading out to grab a few more jars in case the few remaining tins in the cellar decide to be uncooperative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:05 pm

I stash all my tobaccos into Coleman coolers. There is a bit of something similar to a tobacco-like smell only when, the top being open, I bend down close to the tobaccos. I would tend to think that this is not due to the fact that I have a, or tins leaking, but a normal thing in such confined individual environments incarnated by the coolers.
I do, after all, make spot checks on tins, here and there, to ensure the seals are fine.
Also, I tend to think that as our tins are originating from huge warehouses into which they were stacked up alongside several other tobacco tins and bulk tobaccos, it is only natural for these tins to have acquired something akin to a tobacco smell when they make it to our homes (and afterwards). Wink
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
I stash all my tobaccos into Coleman coolers. There is a bit of something similar to a tobacco-like smell only when, the top being open, I bend down close to the tobaccos. I would tend to think that this is not due to the fact that I have a, or tins leaking, but a normal thing in such confined individual environments incarnated by the coolers.
I do, after all, make spot checks on tins, here and there, to ensure the seals are fine.
Also, I tend to think that as our tins are originating from huge warehouses into which they were stacked up alongside several other tobacco tins and bulk tobaccos, it is only natural for these tins to have acquired something akin to a tobacco smell when they make it to our homes (and afterwards). Wink

Honestly I'm surprised any of the shoe polish style tins arrive anywhere with seals intact, what with bumps, pressure changes and temperature differences. Very Happy

The pull-tab tins seem much more resilient, but tradition..... Reminds me of the screw-top versus cork debate in the wine industry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:19 pm

@ontariopiper: Agreed, mate. I would suppose they were tested to be resistant, no?
Back to top Go down
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:08 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
If my tobacco cellar smelled like something else I'd be worried.

Yes! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:30 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
@ontariopiper: Agreed, mate. I would suppose they were tested to be resistant, no?

The screw-top wine bottle cap is technically superior to the traditional cork in almost every way, but wine producers marketed the cork as a sign of quality, so the screw cap only appeared on cheaper wines up until a few years ago. Now big-wigs like Australia's  Wolf Blass wines come with a screw top and many producers are or have already made the switch.

Let's face it, there's no real reason other than marketing for tobacco producers to continue to use the flat round tins, but Dunhill has "ALWAYS" come in a round tin, and consumers couldn't possibly recognize a Nightcap label on a pop-top tin...... scratch scratch   Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Here is something an older gentleman suggested to me a while back.

He preferred to keep his tins unmolested, so to tell if their seals were compromised, he took to using a food saver vacuum sealer over the tins. A few, mostly the square tins, would lose seal, and with the fermentation going on, the seal bags would not be tight on the tins any longer when he would check his cellar. Those he would either smoke or put in canning jars for longer term storage. I have taken to doing that to my rectangle and square tins, as they tend to leak anyway. Also, some of the larger square tins, (i.e. Rattray, Peterson, Larsen, etc, have lovely tins, but the tobacco is in a wimpy cellophane type bag just folded over and taped for a seal. Those I jar up, but I think I have a couple that I just Vacu-sealed and tossed the whole kit-and-caboodle in the sock drawer. No smell, and didn't crush the weed. It's a thought...........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:49 pm

You could've perhaps squeezed the lids. If they give inwards then it's likely they've popped. If a vacuum exits they'll feel very hard with no give.

As for the smell, you could've quarantined a suspicious tin to a new confined area that is normally free of tobacco, perhaps a kitchen cupboard. Leave it there for a few days and if after this you notice a smell, then I'd say it's popped. No smell, and the tin is sound.

Sounds like you've got it all in hand though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Here is something an older gentleman suggested to me a while back.

He preferred to keep his tins unmolested, so to tell if their seals were compromised, he took to using a food saver vacuum sealer over the tins. A few, mostly the square tins, would lose seal, and with the fermentation going on, the seal bags would not be tight on the tins any longer when he would check his cellar. Those he would either smoke or put in canning jars for longer term storage. I have taken to doing that to my rectangle and square tins, as they tend to leak anyway. Also, some of the larger square tins, (i.e. Rattray, Peterson, Larsen, etc, have lovely tins, but the tobacco is in a wimpy cellophane type bag just folded over and taped for a seal. Those I jar up, but I think I have a couple that I just Vacu-sealed and tossed the whole kit-and-caboodle in the sock drawer. No smell, and didn't crush the weed. It's a thought...........  

Great suggestion, Wiz.

Ironically, I was looking at vacuum sealers when I was out buying jars this afternoon. It might be worth it if I bring in a large order sometime, but my cellar isn't big enough to command such specialized hardware quite yet. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:20 pm

The seal on tins today is not like yesterday. Tired of hearing that sort of thing? Tough. They really aren't. I have no idea why. I've never cared for the cans like McClelland and the big GLPease, but at least I can trust them. All the smaller ones suck, and not appropriately so.

It is not recommended to heat tobacco when jarring it. A personal choice thing, but many advise against it. Makers themselves advise against it. I believe GLPease wrote a piece about not doing it. I could be wrong about that, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next