HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:12 pm

So, gents, I did some thinking about the British tobaccos as I am a big fan of them. An anecdote on thinking, before I continue: when I was a Naval Officer trainee, I had attempted to start a conversation with the Executive Officer of the school (a Lieutenant-Commander) while sipping a beer in the Gunroom after the day. I was outside smoking a cigarette and shortly after, he joined me. While admiring Victoria's Inner Harbour, I turned to him and said: "Sir, I did some thinking..." I never could finish my sentence; he looked at me, smiled and suddenly advanced his half bent body towards me and replied: "Gooooooooooood, you did some thinking!" And he left.

Now, it seems that smartass, keen little bastard made it to Admiral, today. Rolling Eyes lol!

I digress. Back to the topic at hand! I did some thinking these last weeks about British tobaccos. See, I like both what is referred to as "English blends" (in other words, containing Latakia and Orientals); and what I could generalize under the category of "Lakeland" and "Lakeland inspired" if I may (so such as Ennerdale Flake, or SG 1792, or Condor, or St Bruno, etc).

Here's the thing that triggered, if you will, my train of thought on the subject, which led to this thread. I seemed to have noticed, over the time I have been frequenting forums, an immediate association or equivalence between the expression "Traditional British tobacco" with a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, London Mixture, or Ashton Celebrated Sovereign, for example. And this association happens much more often than the one with Condor, 1792 Flake or St Bruno. Or so it seems....

Mind you, I did not exert myself to collect and analyze statistics on the subject. This is a general impression and, I suppose, conclusion I drew over time.

But, is this association with a Dunhill tin, in fact, the correct one? Can we really attribute to an "English blend" the iconic status of what would be a traditional British tobacco? Or should we, instead, attribute it to a Lakeland Flake or Rope? As well, I am not certain about this, but hasn't Lakeland tobaccos been in existence for a longer period than the Latakia blends?

What do you see when you hear "Traditional Bristish tobacco"? Latakia, or Lakeland?  I, my friends, see a Lakeland. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:52 pm

I think Latakia came after Lakelands, but there probably not a lot of adding 'essences' at first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:12 pm

I tend to think of Latakia blends like the nightcap or squadron leader but, I'm not a fan of Lakeland blends so I may be biased.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:20 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I think Latakia came after Lakelands, but there probably not a lot of adding 'essences' at first.

Yes, the famous Law on purity. You raise something I forgot about, Wiz'. Was it during the 19th or 20th century, I can't remember.

Edit: was that law restricting the % of casing, or allowing it for the first time? I'll look into it.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:40 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:

Yes, the famous Law on purity. You raise something I forgot about, Wiz'. Was it during the 19th or 20th century, I can't remember.

Edit: was that law restricting the % of casing, or allowing it for the first time? I'll look into it.

I was just thinking about the sailors that brought the first few bales to the "Old World" from the 'New World'. The accidental pressure/moisture/time, or the soaking in spirits and rolling up in sails, all those first few years of tobacco's rise to attention. That may mean that pressed and sliced Virginias may be the early offerings from blending houses.?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:20 am

The whole English / Lakeland thing still confuses the heck out of me. And I'm English. I suppose I really ought to do some more reading on the subject... [sighs] but I do like my bubble of ignorance sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:23 pm

Virginia/latakia  or Burley/latakia can't be English blends.  These tobaccos are not grown in England.  It comes from the US of A.

How can you produce an English blend with tobacco grown in the US of A?  Evil or Very Mad

Lakeland tobaccos are British tobaccos, hence English blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:31 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
Virginia/latakia  or Burley/latakia can't be English blends.  These tobaccos are not grown  in England.  It comes from the US of A.

How can you produce an English blend with tobacco grown in the US of A?  Evil or Very Mad

I wonder where the tobacco used in Lakelands is grown? I didn't think any tobacco was grown in England except in very small quantities for personal use. I believe that the British Parliament banned the commercial growling of tobacco in the 17th century. Perhaps now it's legal? scratch

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Yeah, but Gawith gets their components from all over the growing world. I doubt they grow much tobacco is drizzley cold olde England.

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:17 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
Virginia/latakia  or Burley/latakia can't be English blends.  These tobaccos are not grown  in England.  It comes from the US of A.

No. No, no, no.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:56 pm

Preeeeeeeeeeeetty sure SG and GH&Co. list all of their blends components as various African Continent leaf and some from the U.C.of A. As far as I know, (not that it's much,) but only a handful of tobaccos are actually grown in the Western E.U. Or Great Britain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 am

MisterE wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:

No. No, no, no.

lol! Laughing lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:35 am

SpeedyPete wrote:

Using SPs logic Lakelands should be called African blends as the majority of the 'bccys used for them are sourced and grown in Africa Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:49 am

monbla256 wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:

Using SPs logic Lakelands should be called African blends as the majority of the 'bccys used for them are sourced and grown in Africa Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Not in the Africa where I live Laughing South Africa's tobacco production went down the drain a long time ago. Only farms still producing tobacco are up north.

I've read a "story" about Zimbabwe's tobacco going to China now to pay off their debts. Maybe we will have some Chinese blends in future?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?   Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Yeah, but Gawith gets their components from all over the growing world. I doubt they grow much tobacco is drizzley cold olde England.

...sounds like you're a local BH! That's pretty accurate, and if there's one thing we are experts at, it's beating our gums about the weather.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Great Traditional British Tobacco: Lakeland or English?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1