HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are you a Billy Budd fan?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

Are you a Billy Budd fan? Empty
PostSubject: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 7:14 am

I sure am, guess because I also smoke cigars bounce bounce

So now I kick it up a notch a create my own blend called:

My Budd, I make 3 different type blends. My favorite is My Budd II: tobacco's I use: McClelland 5100, Big N Burley, Louisiana Perique and Maduro leaf cigar. For me this is a great anytime smoke , but it can be your last smoke of the evening. A CIGAR smokers MUST try!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Gotta admit your custom My Bud II sounds good to me Mr. Coyote. 5100 is a staple to me, and I'm a p-weed geek as well as loving burley blends. And used to be into cigars big time and loved maddy's.

Regular Billy Budd isn't my bailiwick right now though since I've been off Lat for some time now. I do remember it kicked my lil' arse though!

Surprised

Cheers,

RR

Are you a Billy Budd fan? Purple11x 3Are you a Billy Budd fan? Bombx10Are you a Billy Budd fan? Bombx10  Are you a Billy Budd fan? D6bddf10 Are you a Billy Budd fan? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Are you a Billy Budd fan? Cowboy13Are you a Billy Budd fan? 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 8:07 pm

I was, til I suddenly turned against Latakia.
Still a fan of the character in the movie. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 8:10 pm

Brewdude, yup, Billy Budd can definitely hit you if your not use too the KICK! Like you, 5100 is a must for many of my blends. I've been blending for over 42 years. My Budd II has no Latakia but My Budd III has only 15% added. I still enjoy a cigar now and then, even strong cigars known in the States as AIR-BENDERS. These are cigars that if your sitting down and relaxing you make sure to get up slowly, things appear to spin around...lol. When I was younger I could smoke them anytime. One day follow my Billy Budd II blend I posted, I'm sure it's one you will enjoy cheers cheers
A pleasure knowing you and hopefully we will chat again. Have a wonderful night.
PS
Hope you've been smoking Solani ABF since your a Burley lover also.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 10:06 pm

I kind a felt sorry for the poor lad by the end.... pale

-Yak
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Don't do Billy Budd, WAY too much Latakia for my taste.

Would love to know the ratios on your recipes in addition to the ingredients.

Are you a Billy Budd fan? D6bddf10Are you a Billy Budd fan? 29400910Are you a Billy Budd fan? 114e6110Are you a Billy Budd fan? Ddb39b10Are you a Billy Budd fan? Cf77ce10Are you a Billy Budd fan? Dd692012Are you a Billy Budd fan? Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 10:53 pm

Nice to meet you Blackhorse
I'm still somewhat of a Latakia fan so Billy Budd bulk is a good smoke at a great price. I've noticed the bulk version has a bit less Latakia then the tin version. I guess it keeps the cost down...lol

So here you go......

McClelland 5100...2 oz.,  Big N Burley....2 oz., Louisiana Perique....1 oz. and Maduro leaf cigar, I use 2 Camacho Triple Maduro cigars. You can go with a bit lighter Maduro, just my preference.

I gave you the breakdown of a small amount you can try but you can always adjust, and the type of Maduro cigar you enjoy most. You can even substitute a regular medium leaf cigar like the Punch Rothchild or a lighter Maduro also Punch Rothchild.
I use a razor sharp Ulu knife to slice the cigar 1/4" thick then just cut in half and rub it out well into the rest of the blend. I always use disposable non latex ( odorless ) gloves when mixing my blends. The oils from your skin can change the complexity of the tobacco. Better off using your hands and tumbling in a BIG glass bowl instead of mixing around with a wooden spoon. Just simple folds of the blend with your hands does the trick. This does age well.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 10:58 pm

Do you use churchills...or coronas? Huge difference in amount of tobacco. lol

Are you a Billy Budd fan? D6bddf10Are you a Billy Budd fan? 29400910Are you a Billy Budd fan? 114e6110Are you a Billy Budd fan? Ddb39b10Are you a Billy Budd fan? Cf77ce10Are you a Billy Budd fan? Dd692012Are you a Billy Budd fan? Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Blackhorse,
That depends on the total amount of the blend, like if your making a pound or even more. I gave you a simple amount for you to try a small batch at first. Rothchilds are a 5" cigar. Also great smokes. Don't substitute cheap cigars, makes all the difference in this blend.
PS
 You can use your favorite cigar to make this blend
PSS
You can also make a smaller amount, just cut the ounces down and use one Rothchild sized cigar.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 11:27 pm

OK...all is clear. Thanks for the added info.

I've got a blend that's been aging for over 10 yrs. I call BATF in which I did a Cuban cigar (darn good one) done much like your processing technique. It has a number of Burley's and VA, etc.  It's pretty good.

Any more I use a regular blending cigar leaf from C&D.  I got to thinking that when 90% of a cigar's flavor comes from just the wrapper leaf I didn't want to add the binder and main body leaves to my pipe blends. Whatever. We each might do things a bit differently... that's fine.

Currently my favorite cigar leaf blends are those by John Patton. Stellar stuff.

And...nice to meet you as well.

Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Billy Budd fan?   Are you a Billy Budd fan? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 8:50 am

Blackhorse,
I've done the blending prior with a few different tinned tobacco leaves. I find it not as good as if you use a high quality cigar or even your favorite stoggie. I use the binder, it's good tobacco if you use a better quality cigar. I too have 2 different blends aging now using Cuban cigars, superb blends.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down

Are you a Billy Budd fan?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: