HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AJ

avatar

Age : 69
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:07 pm

I was just watching a documentary about the Royal Family and it was stated that English law prohibits an English monarch from marring someone that has been divorced. The law led to the abdication of Edward VIII and it prohibited Princess Margret from marring the man she loved. If this is the case how then can Charles Prince of Wales become king when his mother dies? His present wife, Camelia was divorced in 1995.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm not too clued up on this AJ, but I'll take this one so here's my thoughts....

Charles isn't a monarch yet, he's a member of the Royal family. If he were made king (and he wasn't already married to Camilla), then he wouldn't be able to marry in the circumstances you described. However, as he was married before being our next monarch, this would be deemed acceptable.

I believe that's right AJ, but add I said, I'm no authority on the monarchy. Not sure how that fits with Margaret though. Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

avatar

Age : 69
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:02 pm

According to the documentary Princess Margret would have lost her HRH and her position to ascend the throne. I wondered about this because she was already behind Charles and his brothers. If you can find out anything about this I'd be grateful as I'm very interested in what the difference is between the two cases. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:40 pm

AJ wrote:
I was just watching a documentary about the Royal Family and it was stated that English law prohibits an English monarch from marring someone that has been divorced. The law led to the abdication of Edward VIII and it prohibited Princess Margret from marring the man she loved. If this is the case how then can Charles Prince of Wales become king when his mother dies? His present wife, Camelia was divorced in 1995.

I believe the documentary was wrong; Baldwin's position was that neither the British population as a whole nor the population of the Empire/Commonwealth would accept a multi-divorcee as queen back in 1936. Certainly neither he nor most of the rest of the Cabinet would. Essentially, Charles got part of what Edward had wanted and had rejected by Baldwin, i.e. Camilla will become the Princess Consort rather than Queen Consort. Note that when Churchill tried to raise support of Edward in the Commons, he was shouted down, but he was not trying to change the law but opinion. Charles did have the permission of the Queen & Privy Council as required under the 18th century Royal marriage laws; Edward may have been able to give himself permission, but Baldwin controlled the Privy Council. (I'm sure it's even more complex than I remember, but I'm fairly sure those are the main points)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
AJ

avatar

Age : 69
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:30 am

That makes sense Professor. This certainly isn't the first time a documentary had their facts twisted. Thanks for helping me with this. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:07 am

AJ wrote:
That makes sense Professor. This certainly isn't the first time a documentary had their facts twisted. Thanks for helping me with this. Smile

AJ

One thing Edward suggested which was not legal was a 'morganic' marriage, where the marriage would be legal but while any children would be legitimate, they could not inherit (Franz Ferdinand's marriage was like this because his wife wasn't of high enough status, but that is how royal marriages worked in Austria and many of the old German states; If Britain had already been under those rules, George and Elizabeth's marriage would also have been classified as 'morganic')
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
AJ

avatar

Age : 69
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:16 pm

That's pretty interesting "T". Is this what you teach? I like history and it's these little details that kept it so interesting to me. If this is a sample of what you teach maybe I should come up and sit in on one of your classes for a while. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:21 pm

AJ wrote:
That's pretty interesting "T". Is this what you teach? I like history and it's these little details that kept it so interesting to me. If this is a sample of what you teach maybe I should come up and sit in on one of your classes for a while. Smile

AJ

I don't get to teach this very much or often; it is the period I research however!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
AJ

avatar

Age : 69
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:55 pm

DrT999 wrote:
AJ wrote:
That's pretty interesting "T". Is this what you teach? I like history and it's these little details that kept it so interesting to me. If this is a sample of what you teach maybe I should come up and sit in on one of your classes for a while. Smile

AJ

I don't get to teach this very much or often; it is the period I research however!

It's still a resource I need to tap. bounce

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England   Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:18 pm

I have nothing to add to this. But very interesting, indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
A Question for my Brothers in Merry Old England
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Boy Tortured By Brothers
» Tong hop các món quà và thiep Giáng Sinh- merry christmas
» merry christmas all xxx
» CAN XIN MAU PATTERN CUA MERRY GO ROUND
» theme-background-question

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: