HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Huffels pipe set done

Go down 
AuthorMessage
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

Huffels pipe set done  Empty
PostSubject: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2016 8:24 pm

Huffels pipe set done  14789111

Shipping out Monday
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Very impressive arky.

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Huffels pipe set done  Purple11x 3Huffels pipe set done  Bombx10Huffels pipe set done  Bombx10  Huffels pipe set done  D6bddf10 Huffels pipe set done  44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Huffels pipe set done  Cowboy13Huffels pipe set done  4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com Online
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2016 8:54 pm

A few things I wish I did diffrent but hinds sight is 20 20
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2016 10:39 pm

Holy cow, that's lot of detailing there!

Somebody's been busy, eh? Nicely done, old bean!

cheers
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2016 11:00 pm

8 full hrs
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 2:15 am

Hey, well done Arky. You've put in some hours there fella. Looking forward to hearing how she smokes!
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 2:47 am

I'd love to let huffel tell ya but!! I got to start over bowl cracked dang I'll make him a new one no harm done
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 5:20 am

Arky, well done and very different. I like the design cheers cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Shame about the crack but those things happen. Absolutely beautiful workmanship there though. I will definitely be setting out time to smoke her as soon as she arrives. Quite grateful to you buddy she's a real beauty.

Jim
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Huffels pipe set done  14789910
Finished new bowl excited to get it to ya
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 6:13 pm

Arky, very nice pipe, looks very different. I like one of a kind for sure. Do you finish off the wood with Carnauba wax? It protects and brings out the grain of the wood. Keep up the great work.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 6:22 pm

I would if I had any thought about getting some but for now it is what it is. I think this is attemp number 8 the knots like to blow up. if u know what i mean?
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Arky, you can also finish the wood with just a little mineral oil, olive oil or really any oil you have, just rub a bit in and wipe dry. You can do this 2 or 3 times. You did a great job cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 10:06 pm

It looks amazing Arky! It will definitely get a pride of place slot in my rotation. Don't worry about putting any kind of finish on it. It'll pick up oils from my hands and darken up quite nicely without any help at all. For future stuff though any oil or even bees wax are great to finish wood with. Bees wax in particular adds a sweet scent and taste that is really nice. Nice bit to that is I know you have it laying around. Really looking forward to the maiden voyage. Is that bowl white oak, or is that maple? My eyes aren't what they used to be I'm afraid. It's absolutely beautiful though.

Jim
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Dang I could get some wax from my hive I need to see if I have any around
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 10:59 pm

The whole thing is willow
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySun Nov 13, 2016 12:09 am

Willow! Well color me surprised there. It looks amazing and I can't wait to give her a go. I'll have to see if I notice any help with headaches. Cottonwood is good for that as well. I should be picking cottonwood buds here in the next few months for my winter supply. Wax her up if you chose to but don't feel you need to by any means.

Best
Jim
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Ok well the pipe got here Thursday so I've had a few days to get some smoking in.

First off I gotta say it's not a briar guys so don't expect it to smoke like one. Mine is all willow, it's very light given its size. It has an even more open draw than my cobs, so it's a smoking machine once lit. I've done a bowl of good old PA, not bad at all. Then I had a bowl of PS Bullseye Flake, much better! The willow imparts a very distinctive flavor to the smoke which to me just goes better with the Va tobacco. As it cakes up I'm sure that will become a moot point. The stem on mine is quite decorative and yes the mouthpiece is round. As I'm not a clencher this is no problem at all for me. The McC Blackwoods Flake in this was a bit much for me. I had to finish it over 3 sessions but it smoked and tasted just wonderful. I'm thinking something lighter just because of the shear size of the bowl. Each bowl so far has run a good half hour and better. All in all I'd say it's a very well made pipe that smokes better than any cob I have. It's not a briar so don't treat it or expect it to behave like one. Treat it like a cob and you'll be rewarded with many sweet smokes. There is no finish on mine as that was my stated preference, but I'm sure if you want it waxed that should be easy for Travis to take care of. I'm very much impressed and obliged to Travis for such a wonderful pipe set. I would not hesitate to recommend one of these pipes to anyone.

Jim
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Huffels pipe set done    Huffels pipe set done  EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Thank you for your amazing review of my pipe set. and I hope the tamper is working well for you. enjoy and puff on my brother.
Back to top Go down

Huffels pipe set done
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: