HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My little buddy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: My little buddy    Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:39 pm

For me...I would really prefer A2. But an old leaf spring would be very acceptable. That would be 5160 spring steel. It's what the authentic Aranyik Thai and the Bidor Malaysian blacksmiths use. It's exceptionally tough and durable and takes a very sharp edge that is easy to come to.

As with most steel it's really all about the hardening, quenching, etc. That's what allows the right structure to form inside the steel.

View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: My little buddy    Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Blackhorse, A2 and " 5160 " proper spring steel are both great for making a knife. It's ALL about the heat treatment at the proper temperature, proper quenching and tempering the blade. Each steel mentioned achieves best results at slightly different temperatures, also the proper tempering, which is extremely important. I've also used D2 steel billets, depends on the knife I'm making at the time or a request. All of the above steels take and hold an edge well.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: My little buddy    Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Yeah, it's a sweetheart. If it had documentation (provenance) that it had been carried in Viet Nam it would have significant value. As it is, that's not going to happen. But aside from monetary value it has great sentimental value to me, in terms of friendships. And I'm holding it to pass on to my son as a memento that represents my own service in Viet Nam with the 11th US Cavalry.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there BH. Monetary value is of little importance if you've no intention of selling. An attached story, friendship, and an opportunity to pass on to a son is beyond value. Yup that's a real treasure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: My little buddy    Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:08 pm

....Humbled by your Service too, BH.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

My little buddy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2