HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Restored Decatur Pipe Rack - Humidor

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Restored Decatur Pipe Rack - Humidor   Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:36 am

On a Lazy Susan. Was made by Decatur Industries back in the early 50's. Was in bad shape. Took a while to restore properly but the end result was worth it I think. It actually looks better then new cheers
If I see members are interested in my posts of builds or restorations I will post more.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Restored Decatur Pipe Rack - Humidor   Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:08 am

That looks great, Coyote! I've got a couple Decatur racks here that could use a bit of spit and polish. What did you end up doing to your rack?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Restored Decatur Pipe Rack - Humidor   Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:28 am

OP, all work was done by hand, no power sanding. The top had a crack in the seam, mortise & tenon, I use wood glue then clamped over night. Can't notice the crack at all once I did the sanding and finish. All hand sanding starting out with 120 grit to 220 grit, 400 grit 600 grit and then 1000 grit and then rubbed the wood to a smooth finish with pomace powder and volcanic ash. I made a Danish oil mixing 2 stains together and a fine linseed oil. All applied by hand using soft clean rags in 3 stages. Very time consuming, but being retired/disabled now time is what I have, besides my pipe enjoyment. Thanks for your comment.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Restored Decatur Pipe Rack - Humidor   Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Great job on the restoration LC. You have a great eye for detail....
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Walkman

Registration date : 2017-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Restored Decatur Pipe Rack - Humidor   Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:03 am

I just purchased a Decatur pipe rack/cabinet that may need a little work.  Are any of the photos from this thread still available?  Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Restored Decatur Pipe Rack - Humidor
Page 1 of 1