HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Dumb Idea?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GuitarMyFriend

avatar

Age : 24
Location : Ludington, MI
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Dumb Idea?   Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Hey guys!
I've heard of and seen some guys vacuum sealing bulk tobaccos, but for long term storage I was wondering if that'd be a good idea for tinned tobaccos, just as an added layer of protection.
Any thoughts? Has anyone done this with success?
(Is vacuum sealing bulk tobacco a good idea for long term storage anyway?)

Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:33 pm

Aging needs air.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Zach,

There was a recent thread on this I believe. Personally, I wouldn't do it, as the vacuum seal-o-meal type bags are gas permeable. If you're worried about the vacuum style Euro tins losing their seal, and there's a particular blend you like for real long term aging, I would pop the tins & transfer the tobacco to a mason jar over vacuum sealing them. That said, I have heard of folks that vacuum seal their square/rectangular Euro coin style tins as a preventative measure. Nothing worse than finding dust when you open that prized tin of Germain's Special Latakia Flake.

Still, nothing beats a mason jar for aging, period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Zach,

There was a recent thread on this I believe. Personally, I wouldn't do it, as the vacuum seal-o-meal type bags are gas permeable. If you're worried about the vacuum style Euro tins losing their seal, and there's a particular blend you like for real long term aging, I would pop the tins & transfer the tobacco to a mason jar over vacuum sealing them. That said, I have heard of folks that vacuum seal their square/rectangular Euro coin style tins as a preventative measure. Nothing worse than finding dust when you open that prized tin of Germain's Special Latakia Flake.

Still, nothing beats a mason jar for aging, period.

Yes, this!


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:07 pm

Yup, jars with good seals are best.

I do have a fair amount of rectangle/square tins in Foodsaver bags sealed over the tins though. Just wasn't willing to pop the lids I guess.

I wouldn't count on Vacuum seal bags to keep your investment in long term though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

avatar

Location : Wisconsin
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:52 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:

I've heard of and seen some guys vacuum sealing bulk tobaccos, but for long term storage I was wondering if that'd be a good idea for tinned tobaccos, just as an added layer of protection.
Any thoughts? Has anyone done this with success?
(Is vacuum sealing bulk tobacco a good idea for long term storage anyway?)

I like the idea of over wrapping tins and I don't think sealing bulks isn't a bad idea especially if storage space and frequent moving is an issue. From everything I've read the consumer vac systems leave in enough air for aging. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

avatar

Age : 24
Location : Ludington, MI
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Well jars it is!
I may try it with a tin or two and do a one or two year check on them!
Thanks for the info guys!!!
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

avatar

Age : 69
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:18 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
Well jars it is!
I may try it with a tin or two and do a one or two year check on them!
Thanks for the info guys!!!
Zach

You've made the right decision. Nothing works better than Mason Jars with a good seal. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

avatar

Location : Wisconsin
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Don't go popping a sealed tin or Mylar bag just to jar it. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

avatar

Age : 24
Location : Ludington, MI
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Oh no worries, I won't.
And I cut that last sentence short; I meant I'll try Vacuum Sealing a tin or two. I totally forgot to specify, sorry.

Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Northwest Michigan
Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:07 pm

Zach... freeze it in a hammock in the middle of freaking winter!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

avatar

Age : 24
Location : Ludington, MI
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:07 am

LOL Alex, If you're that interested in hanging a hammock in the winter, I'll let you borrow my stuff...
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

avatar

Location : The Seventh Planet From The Sun...Uranus
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Idea?   Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:08 am

Zach, all I can suggest is Mason or Ball jars with a good seal. Nothing better. Your sealed tins should be fine. I've only had an issue with one tin in over 47 years of smoking a pipe. It was a few months ago with a new release...Temple Bar. It was replaced with no issues.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Dumb Idea?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Celebrity Dumb Quotes
» Des Walsh
» Dumb statement of the day...Quit or commit suicide
» Maybe sitting in the back of the Bus isn't a bad idea after all...
» What Are Flat Taxes? Here's All You Should Know About The Controversial Tax Idea

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: