HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's Ye Olde Signe Re-release Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's Ye Olde Signe Re-release Review.   Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:27 pm

The Virginias have a bit of hay and grass along with some citrus. There’s also a little dark fruit, wood, bread and earth, though these facets tend to act as supporting flavors. The sweetness has a rich fermented quality as well as some aspects of tea. These qualities existed in the original version in almost the same ratios, except the previous manufacture sported a touch more depth of flavor. The other differences are that this is just a little more grassy, and there’s a very slight hint of the kind of topping found in Royal Yacht which I believe is added in the casing, and not the topping. Otherwise, it would be hard to tell this version from the older one. The nic-hit is medium. No chance of bite here. Unlike the earlier YOS, which wouldn’t get harsh, this possibly may give you a note of that if you puff very fast. This thin ribbon cut borders on being a shag, so I recommend not smoking it dry, and puffing at a slow to moderate rate. Burns fairly cool with a consistent taste from start to finish as it easily burns to ash. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a pleasant after taste. Packs the same kind of punch that the original did once you get to the half way point, and can be an all day smoke for an experienced smoker. Three and a half stars.

Last edited by JimInks on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Ye Olde Signe Re-release Review.   Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks Jim, sounds like I'll sit on the tin I got until this summer then.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Ye Olde Signe Re-release Review.   Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Very grateful for your review Jim. Looks like this will be added to the wish list.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Ye Olde Signe Re-release Review.   Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:55 pm

Thanks for your review, Lord JimInks. I bought 5 of this one. I will let them take on some age before cracking them open. Smile
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Ye Olde Signe Re-release Review.   Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks, Jim! cheers

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Ye Olde Signe Re-release Review.   Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:54 pm

You're welcome, fellas. When I realized how much some people wanted to see a review from me on this blend, I contacted a friend who bought some, and we did a small trade. Dr. T was kind enough to offer some Dark Flake so I could do that one, too. So the pipe community deserves some thanks, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Jim's Ye Olde Signe Re-release Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1