HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A gift for our briar brothers who serve.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric Furgeson

Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:09 pm

Does anyone know of any group or organizations that gather and distribute estate pipes to our servicemen? I have several that are just setting in my racks and not getting the attention they deserve. I would like to group them with my handmade pouches and tampers to make a smoking kit that can then go on to a servicemen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:43 am

I'll bet there are... I'll ask a few buddies. Most of the service people I know smoke cigars or fags...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Eric Furgeson

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:38 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I'll bet there are... I'll ask a few buddies. Most of the service people I know smoke cigars or fags...
it might be nice if we could get something together here in the group. I have 5 or 6 estate pipes. All are lowend pipes so if the get lost or damaged in the field. It wont be that big a deal. I would be willing to donate them to get the ball rolling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:12 am

I belong to a group on Facebook called Briar nation. Many of us are vets or current active duty. They do put together packages for active duty members.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:19 am

tarheel7734 wrote:
I belong to a group on Facebook called Briar nation. Many of us are vets or current active duty. They do put together packages for active duty members.
I will have to see what their requirements are and get information on how to get these pipes out to our servicemen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:28 am

Also get in touch with DAV, Disabled American Veteran. The ONLY organization I donate on an annual basis.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:12 am

I just realized that sometimes I am not all that bright. I live near Joint Base Lewis MacCord and my brother is a retired M.P. from there. I bet he can put me in touch with one of the moral officers on base who can help me with this. I will post any information I can get ahold of on here. Just in case anyone else wants to rehome some pipes with our servicemen. In the meantime please keep those idea coming. Thanks one and all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:59 am

You might check in with any local B&M tobacconists in Tacoma, etc. One of the local Portland outfits (well, fairly close to you) used to put together active duty service boxes, etc.  Outfit is Cascade Cigar on SE 82nd St. - talk to Jan, the owner.

Interestingly, or not I guess, there are some who might spurn estate pipes as inappropriate for official distribution due to their used, already smoked, condition. Of course, WE know they're mostly OK...but there could be some issues depending on the prior owner, etc., how the item was sanitized, if at all. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Whatever. Good luck to you. Noble effort, etc.

View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:26 am

Not sure how I can help Eric, but just wanted to register my support. Nice idea, hope you can pull it off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:04 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
...Interestingly, or not I guess, there are some who might spurn estate pipes as inappropriate for official distribution due to their used, already smoked, condition. Of course, WE know they're mostly OK...but there could be some issues depending on the prior owner, etc., how the item was sanitized, if at all...

Good point. Missouri Meerschaum Co. has been known to donate a few. I should think tobacco would be also be appreciated. Notice these are all unfired, though I assume that's because of indoor restrictions.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:25 pm

I am in the process of checking out the rules and regulations now. I put in a call to the morale office at JBLM and they have refered me over to the USO. If it turns out to be a no go on the estates then I will get a few new MM cob and hard woods and make up kits using them. I will keep you all posted as things progress. Thanks again for the input and advice. This started as kind of an off hand idea and the more I am working at it the more I would like to see it happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 pm

I'm about to give an estate pipe to one of my Marine friends. She can probably put me in contact with a few service men who would like the estate pipes. I wouldn't mind giving my time to fix them up and make them like new before I give it to them. Just an offer if you don't find a way to use the estates for servicemen!

Last edited by kaitlyn3837 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Cool.

View user profile
Eric Furgeson

PostSubject: Re: A gift for our briar brothers who serve.    Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:19 pm

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
I'm about to give an estate pipe to one of my Marine friends. She can probably put me in contact with a few service men who would like the estate pipes. I wouldn't mind giving my time to fix them up and make them like new before I give it to them. Just an offer if you don't find a way to use the estates for servicemen!
thank you for the offer. I will take you up on it if things deadend on me. I will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A gift for our briar brothers who serve.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1