HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Captain Earl's Private Stock

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Captain Earl's Private Stock   Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Received some of this blend for Christmas and after only two bowls I love it. Reminds of Star of the East Flake a bit but a little more balanced. The Latakia is blended beautifully with the deep dark virginias and I find myself enjoying the back and forth between the Virginia and smoky †Latakia! The red Virginia in PS is a real treat and really adds a richness to the smoke. I've been wanting to try some of the captain's blends for a while and I'm very glad I did.

C&D does an excellent job with their English/Balkan blends. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a hearty full flavored smoke that hits the taste buds with a variety of flavors: smoky, sweet, peat, rich, and almost oily. Very nice but also strong (for me) so smoke it slow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Captain Earl's Private Stock   Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Glad you got that as a gift and had the chance to try it. It's a wonderful blend that gets better with about 3 years of aging. That's a blend you will want to get a few tins/cans of for sure....ENJOY cheers
PS
Have you tried Hearth & Home BlackHouse? At $9.99 it's a must try!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Last edited by Lonecoyote on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Captain Earl's Private Stock   Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Glad you got that as a gift and had the chance to try it. It's a wonderful blend that gets better with about 3 years of aging. That's a blend you will want to get a few tins/cans of for sure....ENJOY cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Thanks, LC. I think I'll do that. I also received Nightwatch and will be anxious to see how it matches up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Captain Earl's Private Stock   Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:17 pm

If you enjoy Latakia, the Capt Earle blends are a real treat. Private Stock and Stimulus Package are the blends that I enjoyed the most. Ten Russians is good too. Perhaps the best of all the blends, no Latakia though, is Honor Blend. It's a very fine Turkish forward flavor powerhouse. Very tasty stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Captain Earl's Private Stock   Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:26 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
If you enjoy Latakia, the Capt Earle blends are a real treat. Private Stock and Stimulus Package are the blends that I enjoyed the most. Ten Russians is good too. Perhaps the best of all the blends, no Latakia though, is Honor Blend. It's a very fine Turkish forward flavor powerhouse. Very tasty stuff.

Agree Chris. Arguably one of the top Turkish-dominated blends out there.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Captain Earl's Private Stock   Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:28 am

I do have a tin of Honor blend from 2014 that I'm going to sit on for prob another couple years. I have so many tins I'd love to open right now, but if I can just hold out another 2-3 years they'll all have a good amount of age on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ofafeather

Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Captain Earl's Private Stock   Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:33 am

Just cracked a tin of Honor Blend thatís been in my cellar since Ď01. Wow! The tin note alone is amazing! †Almost overpowering in its ripeness. My first bowl in a medium sized pipe is almost done and I love this blend. Pleasantly strong in nic content so would work in small pipes as well. Rich and full, starts slightly sweet and settles in to a full round smoke with prominent orientals. This bowl had a few relights and got a little hot at times but burned dry all the way to the bottom. Iíll pick up some new tins to throw in the cellar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Captain Earl's Private Stock
Page 1 of 1