HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Fly fishing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Fly fishing    Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:18 am

Dose any one else enjoy fly fishing? I have always enjoyed tournament bass fishing, but have gotten more into fly fishing as I got older, I think it's something you understand and respect older you get. The art of makeimg a fly as it where fly and land in such a way the fish thinks it's real. Same with bass fishing you have to trick the fish to think it's a real fish swimming or a real worm wiggleing. Any ways enough of that I have always wanted to go to new Zealand to fly fishing for Brown trout. There are no natural predators for them there they get huge. It would be easy to get a 3 foot long 10 pound Brown. For those of you that know think of hooking that on some light gear. My kinda thing!!!!!
Any one here have a place that wanna hunt fish hike or what ever before they die?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Fly fishing    Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:20 am

I use to fly fish often. I found it extremely relaxing and peaceful, With either a cigar or pipe in my mouth. Making my own flies was half the fun, boy I miss those times. Arky, enjoy life while your young and healthy. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stinger4me

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Fly fishing    Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:57 pm

I enjoy fly-fishing for trout. These days catching fish is getting very difficult. Here is Michigan fishing pressure is very high and participation in the sport is getting very popular, I think the populations are down. The environment where trout reside is one that is very restful and fishing is good, CATCHING THEM IS MUCH HARDER THAN 20-40 YEARS AGO. I have used flies for smallmouth bass and that is fun. Plenty of fish below the legal size limit and the environment can be very enjoyable. I never got into fly-tying but I did find a great source for flies. The company is Flyshack.com, great service and prices are hard to beat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Fly fishing    Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Yeah, I might have a fly rod or 3 hanging around that I use.
banjo

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Fly fishing    Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:46 pm

I need to go hang out at Banjos place! Very Happy I flyfish and have a few nice graphite and glass rods that all came second hand, but I've never been able to put together the coin for a good split cane rod. I've had a couple of so-so bamboos but never anything really good. That's quite an assembly there Banjo. I have a cool old Fenwick FF79 fiberglass 6 weight from the 70's, a Burkheimer 9 1/2 foot 5 weight for chasing spring halfpounders (juvenile steelhead), a Bob Meiser 12 1/2 foot 5 weight spey rod for the same springers, a Chris Barclay 7'10" 4 weight built on a James Green blank, a couple of Redington Classic Trout rods.... There used to be more, but kids and expensive tackle don't go hand in hand. I can see myself retiring with not much more than a well used but well cared for Granger Victory 5 weight, a Hardy St George and a pipe as my fondest companions until I leave this mortal coil. I love flyfishing. I'll still take out my spinning rods when I think it's right, mainly when the river is high and fast and it's safer to stay on the bank, but I'll always love flyfishing the most.

arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Fly fishing    Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 pm

We need to go to the white river
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Fly fishing    Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:20 pm

I have a nice selection of Split cane rods, From an old Granger to several Kiley rods, and a few in between. I think Kiley passed away last year, so no more art from him. He was a great guy, and he let me test all his new designs. I only have a half dozen graphite St. Croix, but they are great rods in their own rite. Nice Spays too... I used to guide fishing trips in Oregon, Nevada and Washington St. About half the time I provided gear, so amassed a collection over time.. Good times, good times.......

Not as big a collection as Ol' Banjo there, but way more than I can swing at a time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Fly fishing    Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Let's have a Lil tourney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Fly fishing    Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Been fly fishing since I was a kid and was taught by my father. We used to go up to Maine once a year and did mostly streamer fishing for Brown Trout. My father used one rod all his life, an 8 1/2 ' Payne bamboo three piece with a lovely soft action that would place a big streamer 100' on 6 weight line. I got it when he died and had Orvis re-furb it and it's now the only fly rod I use. Just love how that old rod lays down a line !! The only other rod I use is a 8 1/2' Wright-Migill glass rod that I use with a weight forward 8 line for bass buggin down here on stock tanks. I need to get back to Maine sometime !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Fly fishing    Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Been fly fishing for 40+ years. Bluegill fishing is my favorite, but I'm the founder of the Catch and Eat Foundation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Fly fishing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1