HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Savinelli: Nay or Yay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Puff Daddy
Thanks for sharing, it's worse then I thought. So far I've repaired 2 of the Pete lacquered pipes, complete sanding and rustication. Two coats of Bee's wax and mineral oil mixture and both now have a natural dark chocolate color. My opinion on why these pipes were finished with lacquer, to many sand pits that were filled...." it's a cover up job "! The rusticated design took care of that.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Wow, lots of interesting information on both Savinelli and Peterson! Thank you all for adding to the knowledge of the board!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamCordray

Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Yeah I'm not so taken with the new Peterson designs, or Savinelli designs for that matter. I'm much more likely buy an good condition estate Stanwell, BBB or GBD instead of a brand new Pete or Savinelli in the same price range. The cost would be the same, but the quality differential is major.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:36 pm

Dr. Adam, well said and couldn't agree more! My Stanwell pipes are all good smokers, quality materials and well crafted with NO fills....enough said.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:36 am

I am a huge fan of Savinelli. Peterson, not so much... but every Sav I have and all the ones I've seen look good and I don't see any problems for what they are. My Savinelli pipes are all workhorses in my rotation. I smoke my 677 Roma Sav more than any other pipe and it is always a great smoke! I have more expensive pipes and prettier pipes, but there is just something about that first Savinelli I ever bought that delivers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:48 pm

As a matter of personal taste, I have a marked dislike for "rusticated" pipes that have perfectly symmetrical and consistent rustication. To me, they say "we churn these out by the busload" I especially like Ashton rustication, most especially when it looks like it was broken off the plant, drilled and fitted with a nice mouthpiece. I don't award extra points for silver or shiny touches. I'd say that the brands being discussed having these traits seem to be showing evidence of non-smoking MBAs in positions of influence at the manufacturer.  Quality briar, a comfy stem, good drilling and better-than-just-decent craftsmanship are appreciated. Just me, YMMV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Old Nate wrote:
I am a huge fan of Savinelli. Peterson, not so much...

Ditto. This is me in a nutshell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 pm

The thing about Peterson is, if you get an older system pipe or high grade in good condition, it's most likely a good pipe. The newer pipes are show, not go. But then Stanwell too is all about the older pipes. The new ones are OK and smoke better than the new Petes, but there's something lost that can't be refound after the factory change. Danish mojo gone, pipes now just "Meh" Neutral

Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm

All my Savinelli pipes are pre-2005. The last one I bought was a Long John bent in 2004, and it's still pretty fussy about what I smoke in it. It doesn't seem to like most Ginnyweeds.

All the others are quite a bit older. I've found that the best smokers are either unfinished, or natural finish with wax only.

There is a line that are fabulous smokers—Punto Oro Corallo—a rusticated natural finish with exceptionally porous briar that colors like a meerschaum. Apparently it's not in production any more...at least, it's not listed on Savinelli's website. It's not to be confused with the current Porto Cervo "Corallo", which is not even close to being the same thing.

Savinelli also had a line of seconds called Estella that are awesome smokers. All the Estella pipes I have seen are very craggy rusticated jobs, and they tend to be fairly large. The two I own are superb smokers. Like the Corallos, they're no longer in production, but you can find them as estate pipes.

My other Savs vary from decent to excellent, but as with most pipes, it seems that the older the wood the better the smoke.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Fri May 12, 2017 8:16 pm

I have over a dozen Sav's half are blasted Punto Oro's , one Guibleo d'Oro smooth straight grained and the rest are from the old Champagne series and EVERY ONE is a SUPURB smoker and well made pipe. Several (5) of my Punto's are from the 4 digit model number era which would be pre 1975 as i understand it. I'd put ANY Guibleo up against most Artisan pipes as well as ANY Dunnie made today and purchase the Sav over them all the time !! The Guibleo series is probably the FINEST production pipe made today IMHO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Sorry to resurrect an older thread. But, I actually prefer Peterson's, Savinelli's and one more little known brand: Cayuga Oil Treated pipes from Flint, Michigan.

I've read about the Peterson vs. Savinelli debate on other venues and have to admit that I prefer the way a Peterson smokes after about a dozen bowls and I also enjoy the same from a Savinelli in a shorter period of time and really like the balsa system as well.

Frank
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 am

Navyflake wrote:
Sorry to resurrect an older thread. But, I actually prefer Peterson's, Savinelli's and one more little known brand: Cayuga Oil Treated pipes from Flint, Michigan.

I've read about the Peterson vs. Savinelli debate on other venues and have to admit that I prefer the way a Peterson smokes after about a dozen bowls and I also enjoy the same from a Savinelli in a shorter period of time and really like the balsa system as well.

Frank

Resurrect away! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
...Stanwell too is all about the older pipes...there's something lost that can't be refound after the factory change. Danish mojo gone, pipes now just "Meh" Neutral

PD: I haven't tried any of the Stanwells made at the relocated factory. I'm a little curious to see what they're like, but frankly my curiosity isn't enough to make me spend any buck$ on one when I have so many wonderful Stanwell smokers that were made in Denmark.

As for Danish mojo, I dunno. A lot of good pipes come out of Denmark, so I suppose that, statistically, the "Made in Denmark" stamp is prolly a pretty good assurance of quality. Whether it's an assurance of value is another issue entirely...by which I mean smoking quality per dollar spent. To wit, does a $5,000 Rasmussen really provide a smoke that's 100 times better than an old $50 Stanwell? The question is preposterous.

Of course, that's not the only reason folks buy expensive artisan pipes. They buy them for all sorts of reasons, many of which have little or nothing to do with their quality as smokers — speculation, collecting, trading, bragging rights, or just because a certain pipe strikes their fancy and they can afford it. Value is subjective, and beyond things like quality of materials and engineering, there are few absolutes.

But if smoking quality is the most important criterion, then some of the best values can probably be found in old wood on eBay. What's more, if you adjust for inflation, today's prices on meerschaum pipes are an absolute steal. Fifty years ago, not everyone could afford to give themselves the treat of the meerschaum experience.

For that matter, a well-seasoned corn cob pipe is still one of the best smokes available. No bragging rights, but you can't beat the value.

Anyhow, as far as briar pipes are concerned, the takeaway from all of this (for me, anyway) is something I've learned from owning over 200 pipes across over 54 years of being a piper — namely, there's no blanket "Yay or nay" answer about pipe brands without a whole lotta qualifications and stipulations as to model, year, finish, and — as always — the subjective preferences of the smoker.

I can tell stories of my experiences with marque X, Y, or Z, but that doesn't necessarily translate to others. Part of the fun of pipe smoking is the adventure of discovering what I like, and I imagine that's true of most others too.

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:29 pm

KevinM wrote:
As a matter of personal taste, I have a marked dislike for "rusticated" pipes that have perfectly symmetrical and consistent rustication. To me, they say "we churn these out by the busload" I especially like Ashton rustication, most especially when it looks like it was broken off the plant, drilled and fitted with a nice mouthpiece. I don't award extra points for silver or shiny touches. I'd say that the brands being discussed having these traits seem to be showing evidence of non-smoking MBAs in positions of influence at the manufacturer.  Quality briar, a comfy stem, good drilling and better-than-just-decent craftsmanship are appreciated. Just me, YMMV.

amen!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Vito wrote:
I haven't tried any of the Stanwells made at the relocated factory. I'm a little curious to see what they're like

Truth is they are well engineered, well made and made from good material. They smoke very well, good open drafts. They are better than any of the other production pipes in that price range that I've come across. What was lost is style. The older Stanwells were well made copies of famous Danish designers prototypes (Bang, Ivarsson, etc) and the factory production managed to do a good job of keeping clean lines and transitions in the shapes and preserving the style intended by the designer. The new Italian pipes seem to have lost this, with muted lines, generic looking shapes, and a dullness of form compared to the past production in Borup, DE. If a guy wasn't aware of or experienced with the past production quality then there would be nothing to complain about - Rather a generic looking pipe here but a damned good smoker. It's only when comparing the present to the past does one realize that the style has been lost. Whether or not that matters is an individual opinion.

Sid.Stavros

Registration date : 2015-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:40 am

Lonecoyote wrote:
That's like a Savinelli I received last year with absolutely NO hole drilled in the stem! You know that pipe was thoroughly checked by Savinelli's quality control.....lol

Few years back i bought from a USA shop a Savinelli, when the pipe arrived i saw by surprise that the slot was far to the right! That means that the factory plus the store never checked the pipe. You can see the inclination in an example photo:

I replaced the mouthpiece and after some months i mention this in a conversation in a thread, another member asked me why i didn't ask for refund but i said that i had to pay the shipping so wasn't sound like a bargain. The member asked me the name of the store, i wrote it and in few hours a manager from this store make login in the forum and contact me via pm! I bought another pipe from his store and send me another one for free to replace the one with the problem, when the pipes arrived i saw inside a card with signature that the pipes had checked and passed the quality control...but why they didn't did this from the beginning? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pipe-smoke.blogspot.gr/
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli: Nay or Yay?   Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Sid.Stavros wrote:
...when the pipes arrived i saw inside a card with signature that the pipes had checked and passed the quality control...but why they didn't did this from the beginning? Rolling Eyes

...um, because people make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes are a result of carelessness, or distraction, or inattention to detail. The only way you can tell whether it's an "honest" mistake — meaning, whoever made the mistake didn't actually intend to sell you defective merchandise — is whether they're willing to correct the mistake when you call it to their attention.

I understand that sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth. It's often true that my time is worth more than whatever money is involved. That's a judgment call each person has to make for him/herself. But I appreciate my pipes for many reasons, not just the money they cost. So I'm usually willing to make sure that what I get is what I actually want and expect.

Back to top Go down

Savinelli: Nay or Yay?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: