HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk

Go down 
AuthorMessage
AdamCordray

AdamCordray

Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: 15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk   Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:08 pm

So what C&D bulk blends are people stocking up during this sale? I have limited experience with Cornell & Diehl - I've smoked Bayou Morning (always seems to have a bitterness mid-bowl that puts me off...), Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, Engine 99. Also am almost out of Epiphany. I really like Epiphany, and will probably order 8oz or so of that this month. I was thinking about giving Oriental Silk a try, and maybe Yorktown. How are the blending component blends, ie. the dark/cube/white burley blends, the perique, in particular was thinking about buying some Izmir turkish. From what I've read, the C&D blends have changed over the years so I don't know what people think about them currently.

- Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk   Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:37 pm

'tis a pity they don't offer up Night Train on this or I'd go in deep! I regard it as a bulk blend but it isn't listed as such!

silent

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: 15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk   Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:03 pm

If I recall correctly. they have a blending kit with most of their basic components, but I doubt it is part of the sale. I'm thinking about trying Oriental Silk, as I have heard good things about it from those who seem to share my tastes. An associate is sampling me out a bit of Crooner(?). Burley and deer tongue. Sounds interesting. I've used deer tongue in a couple of experiments of mine, but I'm curious about their blend.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk   Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:55 pm

I usually pick up some Oriental Silk, Epiphany and periodically Old Joe Krantz. I have to be honest though, until I see an extended period of time where C&D goes w/o mold related complaints, I'll be stocking up on Peretti, McClelland and Gawith favorites instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: 15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk   Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:38 am

If you like Oriental Silk, I'll dig up the recipe I used to match it and PM it to you. It's super easy....

Something like Carolina Flake, some sweet/bright Virginia ribbon and Izmir, all equal amounts, and just enough Perique to take the bite out and slow the burn down a tad...

A simply elegant blend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: 15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk   Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:22 am

I stocked up on Billy Budd even though I make my own 2 very different blends with cigar leaf. Also Bayou Night, smoke it straight and use it in 2 of my blends. Some Old Joe Krantz, even though I have enough. No longer trust C&D with their topped tinned tobacco's, have had many tins with serious mold issues in the past 1.5 years. Was told they changed the anti-fungal mixture ( I think to save money ), why change if for years prior no serious mold issues. I had 6 tins of Bijou replaced. Why would I purchase C&D tin blends if I have to open them on delivery to check for mold??? Then have too also jar them....NO WAY! Both C&D and GLP I'm extremely cautious with purchasing right now.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: 15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk   Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 pm

I'll be loading up on Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, and Poplar Camp. I have plenty of each on hand, but it never hurts to lay down some extra bulk of your favorites!

Regarding the mold: I know they had issues with some of the small batch stuff, but what's the full story? Is there something of a date range to worry about, etc? I haven't bought any C&D in a while - most of what I have is at least 2 years old, some much older. Anything I have in bulk is nice and clean, and I'd hate to think about cracking open all of the aged tins I have that were produced by C&D (including my beloved GLPs).

So is this seriously a "open everything, panic!" situation, or a "its limited, and fairly recent...buyer beware right now, but old stuff is good stuff," kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: 15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk   Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:27 pm

15% off from who?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04