HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Laguiole knives

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Laguiole knives   Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Laguiole was mentioned in the Opinel thread. I know nothing about them, but now I'm curious and wanting. I'd like to hear more about them, and maybe someone can tell me why this knife seems to be less desired than others. What is junk about it? I guess what I'm asking is why does this retail at $30 and not $60 or $90 like many of their other knives?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2EA4MX1121
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Laguiole knives   Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:09 pm

The name is a town that can't be trademarked so there are a couple of different Laguiole named brands out there. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Laguiole knives   Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Zeno

Well, first off you want to make sure you purchase a Laguiole knife made in France, which is of much better quality. Some Laguiole knives are being made in China and Amazon has been selling them. Your best bet is to shop at the Laguiole online store, a big sale is going on right now. Look at the pocket knives with the BEE on the spine.
Superb quality for the price!!! My Laguiole pocket knife cost me around $75.00 a number of years ago. Allot of fancy carving on the spine with that stunning BEE. It's a looker for sure and I do carry it from time to time.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Laguiole knives   Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Good information. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Laguiole knives   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Several years ago I bought a Laguiole corkscrew and have loved it since. My father carried one of their horn handled pocket knives for most of his life. ( he was French) It's lost part of a side  of the horn handle and the point off one of the blades but it gave him over 50 years service. !! I'd get one but my 40 yo Case just keeps on goin'!! As has been said be sure and look for the Bee up near the front bolster on the bottom side. Here's my corkscrew:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Laguiole knives   Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Since you all mentioned the bee on the back and to be sure anything I'm considering has one, I've noticed they ALL have them. Even the ones that are "too cheap to be true?" have them. I have noticed the knives with less suspect pricing also have other decorative detailing on their springs and backside, but not always. Like so many other things, I feel like shopping for old and vintage is the only way I can be somewhat sure that I'm not a sucker for a Chinese lesser version or a full-on knock-off. Buying nice things in the modern world is a frustration. It's not enough to fine tune businesses to support, but to then have to fine tune within the fine tuning. "Oh, so you still make X, Y, and Z at top quality, but you also have a, b, and c at shit quality as well." Or your Chinese factory is running a 3rd shift and selling your 2nds and 3rds and intentional overruns as bootlegs.

*I should add that I have little against Chinese manufacturing, other than the stealing of ideas and the bootlegging. They do what they do, and we know what they do. Yet, to make fractions of pennies on stock for piddly dividends, we continue to go to them. Our greed creates their greed. Rather than live in a world with real inflation, and where quality and service are rewarded with living wage jobs etc, we'd rather continue forward with the inevitable self-destructive behavior. That's not on the Chinese. That's on us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Laguiole knives
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: