HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Mon May 22, 2017 12:14 pm

The tangy, ripe dark fruity, earthy, woody red Virginia takes a lead over the lighter Virginia, and also sports a little sugar. The light Virginia provides a bit of citrus, light grassiness, and a couple pinches of spice and a bare hint of floralness. The proportions of the Virginias vary from flake to flake, so there is a small inconsistency in how you will perceive the inherent flavors of the tobaccos. Having written that, it should be noted that they meld fairly well, and you’ll observe every nuance in every puff to one degree or another. There is a very slight hint of “vinegar” from the tobaccos that barely make their way into the experience, and very quickly disappears. Although this manufacture isn’t as deep in flavor as some other McClelland Virginia offerings, there’s a couple subtleties present that some of them lack. The nic-hit is just past the mild mark. The strength level is a couple steps shy of the center of mild to medium, while the taste almost reaches that threshold. No chance or bite or harshness exists here. The product is a little moist, but it needs no dry time. Burns cool, clean and a little slow as flakes tend to do, but they are easily broken apart to suit your packing preference. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste. Can easily be an all day smoke. Has great age potential. Three and a half stars out of four rounded up to four.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Mon May 22, 2017 3:12 pm

yup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Mon May 22, 2017 4:33 pm

Sounds right up my strasse and from Jim's description on a similar map to Red Cake 5100?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Mon May 22, 2017 4:39 pm

Stick wrote:
Sounds right up my strasse and from Jim's description on a similar map to Red Cake 5100?  

It's interesting to me that you made that connection as Red Cake was on my mind during the reviewing. This isn't quite as deep in taste as RC, but it has more flavor nuances - many of them subtle - and that little bit of complexity counts for a lot in my mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Mon May 22, 2017 4:44 pm

From my understanding this is replacing Christmas Cheer. Since it is a "regular production" blend and not a "seasonal blend" it slides by the new FDA regulations. I tried it on Thursday night and really enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Mon May 22, 2017 6:18 pm

JimInks wrote:
Stick wrote:

It's interesting to me that you made that connection as Red Cake was on my mind during the reviewing. This isn't quite as deep in taste as RC, but it has more flavor nuances - many of them subtle - and that little bit of complexity counts for a lot in my mind.

Well, you've sold it to me Jim!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Mon May 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks, you sold me too Jim, when this gets back in stock I'll be grabbing some. Sounds absolutely delicious. 

Cheers 

Tim

Last edited by Timbo on Tue May 23, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Mon May 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks Jim. Sounds like eggs-actly the kind of blend that's right in the ol' wheelhouse.

tongue

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Mon May 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Would you please stop posting these wonderful, enticing, mouth-watering reviews??!! I need not one more ounce of tobacco plus my inability to withstand any form of temptation is well documented!!!!! Razz Razz Razz cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Wed May 24, 2017 9:42 am

I cracked my tin in the "secret lounge" at Pheasant Run during the 2017 Chicago Pipe Show. In attendance, were my good friends from the NY Pipe Club, Lou aka "Skaukatt" and Simone. Simone was with the incomparable Salvatore Amorelli of Amorelli Pipes. I was sitting with my friends, the multi talented pipe carver and knife maker ,Rolando Negoita and our club President, Rob Garbarino. We were representing our very own, "Hudson Valley Pipe Club". I guess you could say this was truly a "Meeting of the Minds" (or Mindless depending on how you feel about us!Razz ).  

The tin was passed around the group and everyone who tried it, loved it! It was probably one of my favorite "straight out of the tin" tobacco offerings from McClelland. The only comparison to 5100 that I noticed was the level of natural sweetness. The tobacco had a wonderful Grassy / Hay / Citrus / Sweet thing going on. It was truly a sublime blend and if anyone was fortunate enough to grab several tins for cellaring, this one should be stellar when it hits a minimum of five years. king

Sadly, I only purchased a single tin. Sad
I will have to wait and see if it hits the shelves again. It was an immediate sell out at the show and online........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamCordray

Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.   Fri May 26, 2017 12:11 am

Thanks for the review Jim, we always appreciate them! Excited to try this one
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1