HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What tools do you need to carve your own?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: What tools do you need to carve your own?   Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 am

My understanding is that briar is much harder and tougher than other woods so it is difficult to use just a regular carving knife. I would love to carve my own but have not done so because I don't have machine tools.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: What tools do you need to carve your own?   Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 am

I can be done with a coping saw, files, rasps and sandpaper. That's how I made my first one. Adding power tools and a bit of machinery makes the job go faster, but they aren't necessary. You can get a pipe kit from Vermont Freehand relatively cheaply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What tools do you need to carve your own?   Tue May 23, 2017 10:42 am

...and there's this, I suppose. I've never done more than glance at the site, as I much prefer to let others do the work of making a pipe that's worth having.

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What tools do you need to carve your own?   Tue May 23, 2017 1:25 pm

I use an 18 volt dewalt screw gun to drill with. Draw lines on a block and eyeball it. Then an old belt sander and files to rough it in. Then progress from 220 sandpaper, then 500, 1000, 1200, and lastly with 2000. The bowl interior starts with a standard half inch drill bit, then I curl some 220 and twist it until I get the width. Pretty primitive, I know, but it's what I have. I'm sure it's the long way to a pipe, but it keeps my hands busy....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crafty

Registration date : 2013-09-06

PostSubject: Re: What tools do you need to carve your own?   Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 pm

I've done a the bowl with very minimal equipment. The right drill bits for tobacco chamber/draft hole/stem mortise. Once drilled and sketched I used a dremel for shaping then hand sand to final. Stem work just depends on what style you like. May need a tenonning tool to set the shoulder and tenon of the stem. Keep it simple and have fun!

Normally I have a drill press, lathe turning a 6" sanding disc/buff wheels, and a Dremel. I don't turn my pipes (except handcrafted stems).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What tools do you need to carve your own?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: