HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:34 am

It dawned on me last month that I tend to gravitate toward VaPers and Perique heavy blends.  What to ask you fine folks what your favorites and "must tries" are.

I love Haddo's Delight and am falling for Chenet's Cake.

What other good ones are out there when you get the Perique itch?

Edit: Forgot to add that I do not like Latakia. So if it has some in it then, for me it is disqualified. Very Happy

Last edited by Fight'n Hampsters on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:52 am

My go-to VaPer is McC 2015. Quite full-bodied without a lot of lady-nic.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:34 pm

McC St. James Woods, Escudo, Dunhill deluxe navy roll, SG cabbies mixture and St James woods are my go to va per blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Easy! Samuel Gawith's St James Flake. Sublime! V curious about McC's Va flake and Per though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:14 pm

2015, St. James Woods, St. James Flake, Hearth and Home Louisiana Red, GH Louisiana Flake, Escudo,all good for sure!

I do enjoy Pebble Castle for a bit of Oriental influence to the blend though... But that's just my bias....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
2015, St. James Woods, St. James Flake, Hearth and Home Louisiana Red, GH Louisiana Flake, Escudo,all good for sure!

I do enjoy Pebble Castle for a bit of Oriental influence to the blend though... But that's just my bias....

And lovely it is too brother. Just had some today aamof!

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:09 pm

McClelland 2015
C&D Night Train
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chevy5759

Registration date : 2010-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:46 pm

I've been smoking SG Cabbies Mixture for a while now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
McClelland 2015
C&D Night Train

I smoke NT regularly and would never consider this a VaPer! Although it has p-weed it's very much a burley forward blend to me. And a fine one at that.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:
McClelland 2015
C&D Night Train

I smoke NT regularly and would never consider this a VaPer! Although it has p-weed it's very much a burley forward blend to me. And a fine one at that.

Cheers,

RR

It is neat how subjective this hobby can be. For example, I can barely take any Latakia in my tobacco anymore, but love perique. I read an old post by the great Kyle Weis where he describes the horrible reaction he has to Perique. It sounds like how I react now to Latakia!

As always YMMV. One of the cool things that makes this fun cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Seconding most everything mentioned (at least what I've tried!), especially SG's St. James Flake. Even better than that, if you can find it, is St. James Plug. I scored a brick of that in a Synjeco group buy and man oh man is it good. At the same time I picked up Holker Twist and Greenodd Rope, a pair of delicious and fun-to-prepare VaPers made for Synjeco by Gawith and Hoggarth, IIRC. Maybe remaining pressed in those forms assists with the fermentation process or maybe it's just because I love plugs and ropes in general, but those would definitely be my top three VaPers--sweet, spicy, and rich but without being overwhelming.

On the milder end I think Peter Heinrich's Curly is pretty good, maybe a step up from Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture and in a cut I prefer, but some people seem to really dig it.

And while I wouldn't call it a VaPer, Mac Baren's Acadian Perique is a groovy blend with a lot going on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:55 am

Lots of good recommendations here. I'm going to throw a couple new ones into the fold, GLP Fillmore and Telegraph Hill... I love how rich Fillmore is and it ages like a champ! And I'm going to second Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls - very rich and spicy. And of course St. James Woods and St. James Flake are excellent... and last one of my favorites, Beacon Extra - so good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:33 am

Hampsters, some previous conversations make it seem like we probably have some similar tastes in VaPers. Based on that, I second Old Nate's suggestions of Fillmore and Telegraph Hill (Fillmore has a tiny bit of latakia, but it doesn't taste "latakia-y", if that makes sense), and the St. James options.

I still like to smoke something different from time to time, but I'm primarily a VaPer guy and my go-tos are:

1. Telegraph Hill
2. St. James
3. Haddo's
4. H&H Louisiana Red
5. More Telegraph Hill

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:42 am

My go-to is GH Louisiana Flake, but it might not be Perique-forward enough for this list, and it does have a very mild topping. I also like Synjeco's 'Bad Nun II'
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:28 pm

idbowman wrote:
Hampsters, some previous conversations make it seem like we probably have some similar tastes in VaPers.  Based on that, I second Old Nate's suggestions of Fillmore and Telegraph Hill (Fillmore has a tiny bit of latakia, but it doesn't taste "latakia-y", if that makes sense), and the St. James options.

I still like to smoke something different from time to time, but I'm primarily a VaPer guy and my go-tos are:

1.  Telegraph Hill
2.  St. James
3.  Haddo's
4.  H&H Louisiana Red
5.  More Telegraph Hill

Yeah I didn't want to scare him away from Fillmore w talk of Latakia. Smoking a bowl of it right now. I just love it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willie g

Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:09 pm

mcconnell "scottish cake" and sg's "cabbies mixture" are my two favorites
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Old Nate wrote:
idbowman wrote:
Hampsters, some previous conversations make it seem like we probably have some similar tastes in VaPers.  Based on that, I second Old Nate's suggestions of Fillmore and Telegraph Hill (Fillmore has a tiny bit of latakia, but it doesn't taste "latakia-y", if that makes sense), and the St. James options.

1.  Telegraph Hill
2.  St. James
3.  Haddo's
4.  H&H Louisiana Red
5.  More Telegraph Hill

Yeah I didn't want to scare him away from Fillmore w talk of Latakia. Smoking a bowl of it right now. I just love it!

You know me well Very Happy The good thing is, I think that is a pre '07 blend so I dont have to rush in to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 am

Right on... plenty of time to explore Fillmore... at least at the present.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Old Nate wrote:

I have a tin of Fillmore open at present and I can't smell or taste any latakia? 'You sure about the latakia?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
Old Nate wrote:

I have a tin of Fillmore open at present and I can't smell or taste any latakia?  'You sure about the latakia?

Yep...it's in there. But just a little bit. It gives it some extra depth and that (very slight) leathery note - doesn't come across as Latakia at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Read a few reviews of Filmore. How have I missed out on this one?? It sounds so good! Also noticed Telegraph Hill. That looks really good too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:22 am

I go back and forth with some of the blends, but I think Fillmore and Quiet Nights are two of the best blends made by Greg Pease. Granted I haven't tried them all, but of the many I have, I think those are the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations   Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:44 pm

Lately I have been smoking Dunhill Dark Flake. It's like STG's finest weed had a threesome baby with McClelland's 2015 & Blackwoods Flake.

One of the best dark Virginia and Perique flakes that I have smoked, period. Personally I like it a bit better than 2015 &  Sam G. St. James Flake.

Sucks that it is going away....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1