HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Any Navy Men or Women Here?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Any Navy Men or Women Here?   Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:12 am

How in hell does this happen? Was everyone texting, or what? I don't know anything about rules at sea, but it looks like the U.S. ship is at fault, going by land rules. I love big ships, and hate to see any bent or sunk. Just curious. And a bit suspicious.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4612334/USS-Fitzgerald-involved-collision-merchant-vessel.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Any Navy Men or Women Here?   Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:58 am

I'm not in the Navy, but in time of war I would give them a hand. The destroyer was struck on the right (starboard) side. Going by the described size of the vessel that hit it, it didn't get much damage so presume it was a glancing blow. If the container ship had hit her straight on she could feasibly have capsized/been cut in half. Possibly the destroyer was overtaking (passing) close aboard (near the other ship) the container ship and either the container ship veered to the left a small amount or the destroyer veered to the right, again a little bit. It doesn't sound like they were in restricted waters (a narrow channel). In my opinion a prudent mariner does not get any closer to another ship than a few miles. If they intended to be that close to the container ship then the Captain would have been on the bridge according to standard doctrine that I 'grew up on'..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Any Navy Men or Women Here?   Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Makes sense. So does this, something I haven't seen elsewhere:

bosun1 wrote:
...Going by the  described size of the vessel that hit it, it didn't get much damage so presume it was a glancing blow.  If the container ship had hit her straight on she could feasibly have capsized/been cut in half...  

Foolish me, it just seems that a billion-dollar ship would have better collision avoidance mechanisms. Wish I could remember a long-lost cousin's married name. She married a navy officer who was on the battleship Iowa when its friggin' powder magazine blew up. Perhaps he'd have some additional insights. Guess we'll have to wait six months or so for the official explanation from the "experts." No point in speculating...so, ah, never mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Any Navy Men or Women Here?   Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:10 pm

With all the technology those ships have at their disposal it's hard to understand why this could have happened. Something tells me the commander is in for some rough times ahead!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Any Navy Men or Women Here?   Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:45 pm

I was astonished, myself. It's not like these vessels travel at Mach 1. As one with a Captain's license, and, well, MANY years of sailing various crafts, a 'weather eye' would have seen this collision immanent for quite some time. Unless there was some need to cut someone off to force them to heave to, or be boarded.

For being warships, they sure crumple up like tin though, eh? Hope they find the seven missing. Cause and blame count for nothing to those families however......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

PostSubject: Re: Any Navy Men or Women Here?   Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 am

Maybe they were looking to buy some alcohol from the container ship? For the life of me I can't see a reason to be that close, or even within two miles. If it was in the Arabian Gulf or off the coast of North Korea possibly doing some cargo inspection or interdiction. All the radars and sonars on line, lookouts posted. You just don't have a ship like that sneak up on you. Modern ship construction...build them lighter so they go faster and get better MPG. The days of battleships with twenty inches of armor plate are gone..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Any Navy Men or Women Here?   Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:57 am

So the cargo ship made what was in effect two 180-degree turns prior to impact? The ship was 29000 tons vs. the destroyer's 9000. Very strange, to this landlubber. The ACX Crystal's course, apparently:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

PostSubject: Re: Any Navy Men or Women Here?   Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 am

The Navy personnel are running a permanent plot on all ships in their vicinity. Using the antique equipment we used in the CG this entailed putting a dot on the radar screen with a grease pencil. Then a few minutes later another dot. Repeat so you have three dots. Draw a straight line through the three dots and that is the other ships course relative to you. You can measure exactly how close the other ship will come to you. Too close you talk..radio (or semaphore flags or aldis light if you're a real antique)! Or alter your own course if able/allowed to by 'the rules'. If I saw a vessel within ten miles of me acting like that I would make sure they didn't get closer than say five miles...Constant bearing decreasing range equals collision. Pretty simple really....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Any Navy Men or Women Here?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1