HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Burley questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Psmith

Registration date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Burley questions   Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Lately I've been enjoying Semois a lot which is the only straight burley I've ever tasted.
For a while I've been thinking about getting a tub of an American burley like PA, Granger, SWA, or Lane RR. I'm wondering is there any similiarity between any of those and Semois?
Which one do any of you recommend?
Do you recommend a different burley?

By the way if any of you like cigars but havent tried Semois youre missing out. Sometimes nutty. Sometimes musty. Highly recommended
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Semois has an earthy quality that the others don't. And when you first light the others, you will probably think they are incredibly mild. This is deceptive; about halfway down the burley will start asserting itself, and you will recognize it as burley, sort of cigarish. I agree with your Semois/cigar recommendation. I like 'em all, but suggest buying a pouch instead of a tub for testing purposes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:20 pm

For an OTC I like Carter Hall and Prince Albert. They are similar but PA is a little more robust.

My recommendation would be to get some Storm Front. It is only sold at 4noggins.com. While not technically an OTC blend, it has alot of the flavor characteristics of an OTC but has more depth where as Carter Hall and PA cal be one dimensional
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lb

Registration date : 2011-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:00 pm

no similarity. in fact they are very different . if you want to try something cigarish like semois...try scaferlatti caporal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:02 pm

If you want to try the best American burley out there, try Uhle's Perfection Plug or any of the Peretti burley blends. Also worth mentioning, just as good but not American products, Wessex Burley Slices and Stokkebye ps702 Pressed Burley.

Big G

Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
If you want to try the best American burley out there, try Uhle's Perfection Plug or any of the Peretti burley blends.

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks for responding guys. Much appreciated.

Mr. Burley...among the OTC stalwarts (PA, SWA etc...) do you have a favorite?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Psmith--I have to ask, Psmith, as P.G. Wodehouse "Psmith in the City?" My favorite author,btw. study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Yes. Wodehouse is my favourite writer. Psmith is one of my favorite of his characters!
Psmith in the City. Great book about the drudgery of work and the lure of sport and open air. Who can't relate?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:32 pm

Yes indeed. I kinda like Freddy Threepwood. Loveable idiot. Don't know what he smoked, though. Shocked-- probably off topic, though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:46 am

Psmith wrote:
Thanks for responding guys.  Much appreciated.

Mr. Burley...among the OTC stalwarts (PA, SWA etc...) do you have a favorite?

Yeah, I thought your query was limited to the OTCs. My favorite, I suppose, would be Half and Half from the 1950s, probably because that's what my male relatives smoked when I was a toddler. I used to beg them to light up. The idea that that is what pipe tobacco should be is etched in my skull permanently, as a result. But I don't think it's the same today. The aromatic quality it had just isn't there. It was cheapened mercilessly in the '60s, by the addition of chopped homogenized leaf, as used in cigar binder. How do I know? I looked at it under a microscope. But it's been upgraded since. Nevertheless, it ain't the same.

I guess my pick would be Prince Albert, or possibly Carter Hall cut with PA. Granger is good. Sir Walter Raleigh has raving fans, and it does taste good, but I can't get it to burn. Seriously. No idea what the deal is. Too much PG? Bad packing technique? My recommendation is to read tobacco reviews, and buy pouches of whatever piques your curiosity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks Richard.
Prince Albert huh? As a Canadian I never grew up around these smells so all those OTCs are unknown to me. I remember yellow Sail and Amphora being around and not much else up in the Great White North.
I shall purchase a pouch of PA the next time I order stuff. Storm Front too because sounds pretty awesome and I love cigars.
Reading through the many reviews on TR everything seems to point to the regal one...the Prince.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 pm

PA is my preference for OTC tobaks, followed by CH and Granger. IMHO Granger does quite a bit better in a cob than a briar. If you want a LOL read, look up the Wodehouse short story, "Strawberries in Winter."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Back when I started smoking (over 40 years ago) I started with Granger and smoked it almost exclusively for 4/5 years. Sadly I have some kind of nasal reaction with Burley these days so I don't smoke blends with much if any of it in them. But I remember Granger being a nice smoke tastey smoke!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

PostSubject: Re: Burley questions   Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:11 am

Thanks fellas.
Honestly...I would buy Granger just for the can itself. Love the dog on it
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Burley questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1