HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

heirloom and heritage varieties

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: heirloom and heritage varieties    Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Not saying anything surprising here, but I have so much admiration and respect for the people who work in the cottage industry of bringing back bygone seeds and food varieties. Tomatoes. Wheat. Apples and fruits. Hemp. Anything that they take from a fascination to hobby to community to small business. I also know the world seed banks are always busy doing this sort of thing, but these people who are outside of the agriculture industry and system who carve themselves a niche to play and advance their own interests.

here's an example of heritage wheat flours: http://www.anarchyacres.com/

here's a video about him: http://video.wpt.org/video/2365978971/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: heirloom and heritage varieties    Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Really cool stuff. While on the whole we do not suffer from food shortages here in the west, we have lost variety. I remember hearing that there use to be 100's of varieties of apples (as an example) now there are much fewer.

Also heard a story about Jefferson's garden at Monticello and the meticulous cataloging he did. One of the things hey noted we're the hundreds and hundreds of varieties o the same kind of vegetable or fruit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: heirloom and heritage varieties    Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Fight'n Hampsters wrote:
Really cool stuff. While on the whole we do not suffer from food shortages here in the west, we have lost variety. I remember hearing that there use to be 100's of varieties of apples (as an example) now there are much fewer.

Also heard a story about Jefferson's garden at Monticello and the meticulous cataloging he did. One of the things hey noted we're the hundreds and hundreds of varieties o the same kind of vegetable or fruit.
I believe it was an episode of A Chef's Life that featured a guy who had 200 varieties of apples, many of which not readily grown for centuries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: heirloom and heritage varieties    Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
...the world seed banks are always busy doing this sort of thing...people who are outside of the agriculture industry and system who carve themselves a niche to play and advance their own interests.

I'm a firm believer in preserving the original cultivars...by which I mean the non-GMO stuff. I'm not religiously anti-GMO; I just like real stuff.

It seems that there's a growing market for the real stuff, which is the best way to ensure the perpetuation of anything.

Rubber Room version: Original cultivars and free markets
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: heirloom and heritage varieties    Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Baker Creek seed Co. is about an hour from my home, a few miles north of Laura Ingals Wilder's place.

Great source for seeds and such. They do ship. Great folks, I enjoy working with them...

http://www.rareseeds.com/farm-and-village/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: heirloom and heritage varieties    Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:14 pm

i really appreciate this as thats how we make out money in tge cottage food world tho we have stepped more twards meat sales i just am glad to see this up
Back to top Go down
View user profile

heirloom and heritage varieties
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: