HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 am

Not quite enough space to call a Pipe Lounge, but sufficient for my needs. A place to work on restorations and repairs and space to display my pipes and store the baccy. The Wall of Bookcase is a hack of three IKEA Billy bookcases, some trim and a bit of lighting. Cheap and effective, and I added electrical outlets to allow for some music etc.

The room before the renovations:

Installing the bookcases:

A bit of faux board & batten wainscotting for that Old World look:

After a lot of painting, cleaning and organizing, things are taking shape nicely, though the room will likely be a perpetual Work in Progress:

Top Centre shelf - my Dad's pipes, restored and preserved

My latest addition - a 3-tiered Decatur rack for 36 - nearly full of my Brighams already!

Pipes on the worktable for restoration:

And more waiting patiently in my Refurb Box. I've been stocking up this summer!

My old leather archair was declared Persona Non Grata by the DW (!!), so I'm on the lookout for a new one and perhaps a carpet to complete the room, but for now it's at least functional and no longer filled with drywall dust and paint fumes!

Now I just need to figure out how to work my guitars into the space so I can close the doors and hide away from the womenfolk! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Wow, that's dedication. Pics of youse guys' smoking dens are starting to make me regret selling my house.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Wow, that's dedication. Pics of youse guys' smoking dens are starting to make me regret selling my house.

I'll go a long way to make sure I have a quiet space of my own around here! Very Happy The rest of the house has also been decorated in my wife's favourite "minimalist modern" style - my room is completely different - I relax the minute I set foot inside!
Back to top Go down
Bonanzadriver

Registration date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:54 pm

O.P.

That place is awesome.

Well done. Well done indeed.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Bonanzadriver wrote:
O.P.

That place is awesome.

Well done.  Well done indeed.

cheers

Thanks! i have been admiring your room as well. Looks very confortable!
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:29 pm

WOW!!!! that is a beautiful space I love it.

Best Regards,
Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:55 pm

OP
Very well done, the planning and the layout. Excellent the way your pipe den turned out, extremely neat/tidy. Something to be proud of for sure cheers cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:14 pm

Very impressive Charles. Well done mate!

cheers

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Very impressive Charles. Well done mate!

cheers

Cheers,

RR

Thanks Rande. I first finished the space as a home recording studio about 10 years ago but hadn't used it as such for 4-5 years. The makeover gives me a space to decompress with my briars - and the soundproofing doesn't hurt either! 😃
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:50 pm

WOW, guess I'm invisible...lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
WOW, guess I'm invisible...lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Aw, shucks, Coyote! Didn't mean to skip over your comment. Was replying on my phone, which I should know better than to try to read on...

I appreciate your comments on the room. Looking forward to finding the last few pieces and getting my pipes and other memorabilia (aka my "guy clutter") organized in my own space where She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't wander. lol!
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:58 pm

OP wrote:
She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't wander.
Um, I thought a marriage is 50/50, OOOPP's, that's why I'm NOT...lol. Me I got tired of the 80/20....me always giving in!
I knew it was not intentional at all. Just really like what you've done with the room!! Now you need a Lazyboy for your comfort with a side of Southern Comfort....lol cheers  cheers  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Now you need a Lazyboy for your comfort with a side of Southern Comfort....lol cheers  cheers  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I think I can find space for both those necessary items!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm also looking forward to the pics of the guitars and recording stuff Charles, seeing as I do a bit of both!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Couldn't be much better. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 am

Brewdude wrote:
I'm also looking forward to the pics of the guitars and recording stuff Charles, seeing as I do a bit of both!

Cheers,

RR

Shifted the desk and finally got the music gear organized, Rande. Not much is left at this point - I sold off all the live gigging gear except for a few items that fall into the Old Friend category. I like having the instruments on the wall - I'm much more likely to grab one and noodle around a bit if they're easily accessible!

The framed CDs on the ledge are all self-produced albums - two solo discs, and three band discs. All East Coast Folk music - lots of fun to play and always contagious in a crowd. Very Happy  

This room is coming together nicely. The carpet is plush under foot, and the chair is comfy for a good read. If I add a fridge and a bathroom, I may never come out!

Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Ontario,
THAT'S one FINE piece of remodel work !! Enjoy it dude, you deserve it !! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Ontario,
THAT'S one FINE piece of remodel work !! Enjoy it dude, you deserve it !! cheers

Thanks much, Monbla! The old space was pretty much just a desk and piles of junk. I like this room much better! Still digging through storage to find more pieces to add to it though. I'd like to add a few pictures of my time in the Canadian Forces to compliment my grandfather's WWII pics.
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Wow, a place to relax!! Like the changes, has that warm welcome feeling. The leather chair fits right in, well done cheers cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Wow, a place to relax!! Like the changes, has that warm welcome feeling. The leather chair fits right in, well done cheers cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Thanks! The weather is definitely started to turn here in Ontario, so I'm anticipating quite a bit of hibernating in this room over the winter.
Back to top Go down
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:11 pm

That is one cracking pipe retreat OP! Jolly well done! Truly a place to call your own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Shifted the desk and finally got the music gear organized, Rande. Not much is left at this point - I sold off all the live gigging gear except for a few items that fall into the Old Friend category. I like having the instruments on the wall - I'm much more likely to grab one and noodle around a bit if they're easily accessible!

The framed CDs on the ledge are all self-produced albums - two solo discs, and three band discs. All East Coast Folk music - lots of fun to play and always contagious in a crowd. Very Happy  

This room is coming together nicely. The carpet is plush under foot, and the chair is comfy for a good read. If I add a fridge and a bathroom, I may never come out!

Holy Christmas Charles, colour me impressed! Really brother, a lot of thought and work went into all that and it's very clean and well thought out indeed! Cool

Is that an Epi 335? And the Firebird shape looks like a half size - what's the story with that?

And the acoustic is clearly an Ovation. How do you like it? I've had mixed reactions to them.

Ya, add you a kegerator and a pissoiur and you're good to go!

So when do I get to hear your 2 solo discs and 3 band discs eh?

Nosy lil' bassard, ain't I?

clown

bom

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:31 am

Brewdude wrote:
Holy Christmas Charles, colour me impressed! Really brother, a lot of thought and work went into all that and it's very clean and well thought out indeed! Cool

Is that an Epi 335? And the Firebird shape looks like a half size - what's the story with that?

And the acoustic is clearly an Ovation. How do you like it? I've had mixed reactions to them.

Cheers,

RR

The Epi is actually a 339, Rande - same sounds as a 335 but closer to a Les Paul in size and weight. I traded my 335 for it, and haven't looked back! The acoustic is an Ovation. I'm a bit mixed on these, myself, but I've had good luck with this one. Acoustically it's only ok, but plugged in she sounds great, with very little of the typical amped-acoustic feedback problems.

The little fellow is an Epiphone Mandobird VIII - an 8-string electric mandolin, which I bought to avoid the problem of feedback from my acoustic mando on stage. The scale is also slightly longer than a traditional mandolin, so I can get my fat fingers into position just a bit more easily! lol!   It's a PITA to buy strings for (no one makes a set of 8 electric, ball end mandolin strings, so I have to buy individual strings), and the stock single-coil pickup is nothing to write home about, but it's a lot of fun to play. Sounds great through a JAzz Chorus amp!

Just realized my bodhran is missing from the wall. I'll have to remedy that!
Back to top Go down
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:06 am

Looks fabulous!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Walkman

Registration date : 2017-09-23

PostSubject: Re: While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...   Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:10 am

Beautiful work and very inspiring, OP!  I plan to build a den in a corner of our unfinished basement.  Unfortunately, I have a number of other projects ahead of it at this point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

While we're posting Pipe Rooms, here's my renovated space...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next