HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:53 am

I completed recently. Besides the thumb jimping also notice the hump back design on the tang, not just for looks but very practical. Extremely comfortable in hand for slicing and dicing or cutting a thick steak. The handle scales are made from Osage wood and have four coats of Tung Oil. The 1095 high carbon steel blade has a stone washed finish. Custom made mosaic pins turned out nicely. Pictures do not do this knife justice, looks much better in hand. Just thought I would share with ya'll.
It's a work horse 🐴  🐴

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:58 am

Looks quite serviceable, with just a touch of flair. Needs a bottle opener though, for my purposes. drunken I love straight blades over folders; too bad carrying one is a bit awkward around sensitive types and the polizei.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:28 pm

RB

I've carried an EDC since I was 12 years old and for the past 40 plus years also carry a fixed blade. By law the knife can/may be concealed with up to a 4" blade/cutting area. Also carry conceal a pistol at all times. With the society we live in today I'm much more comfortable carrying knowing I can protect myself or a loved one.

PS
In NY you can carry a 4" knife concealed. I'm originally from Long Island and always carried, was not against any law. You can also carry a Balisong single edge on LI. Most people don't know that though.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Wow! Ted I'm into knives and have a fairly good collection. A well made serviceable utility knife with good metal always gets my attention. The knife you posted here would be right at home with me and it looks like it would fit my hand very comfortably. One can always tell what a knifemaker knows by the shape of the handle on the knives he makes. No doubt you've done your homework and understand how the handle must fit the hand. Very well done my friend. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:38 pm

AJ
Appreciate your very kind comment. Sleep well my friend.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 am

Absolutely beautiful work Ted! The mosaic pins are quite fetching and the the osage handles are a beautiful color. I assume they will darken over time? I've never had the chance to work with osage. The blade itself is quite nice. I rather prefer shorter blades myself. All in all I would say I would be proud to own a knife of that caliber.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:54 am

huffelpuff wrote:
Absolutely beautiful work Ted! The mosaic pins are quite fetching and the the osage handles are a beautiful color. I assume they will darken over time? I've never had the chance to work with osage. The blade itself is quite nice. I rather prefer shorter blades myself. All in all I would say I would be proud to own a knife of that caliber.

Thanks Jim, really appreciate your comment.
   The picture might be a bit deceiving, the blade is only 4" exact. I made it 100% legal for me to carry concealed if I prefer here in NC.
The Osage was finished with Tung Oil not Danish oil so the color should not change much and the epoxy is a snug fit sealing it well completely around the tang, don't think any air or water will do harm to the wood on this knife.

Also take close notice around the mosaic pins. I did a slight taper so that the epoxy seals the wood well between the pins. This is mainly a food prep knife and will be immersed in water to be cleaned properly. Where most knives just get a good wipe down.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:28 pm

id be happy to take that one off your hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Heck Arky, that's the last knife I made. Started it a while back but finished the knife last week. Umm, plus I shaved with it once, it's that sharp. Also, my " ONLY " grandson already has dibs on it.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Arky, here is a knife I did a while back. It's called The Bengal. MANY hours went into this knife. Hand filed vine work along the spine and tang. After the proper tempering of the 1095 steel I gave a light stonewash to the blade than acid etched the Bengal stripes and my last name. My own Walnut wood scales and custom made mosaic pins, 8 coats of Tung Oil then hand sanded and buffed. Allot of hand work went into this knife, over 90 hours.

I was offered BIG bucks for the knife but my closest friend from NY really wanted this knife once he held it in his hand. Yup, I sure could have used the money but the knife was gifted to Jim. Just seeing his face light up was worth it to me. This knife too is razor sharp....shave sharp!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A custom made food prep/carry knife..started a while back...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: