HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

An MM cob I can't identify

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: An MM cob I can't identify    Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:00 am

Picked up a cob in exceptional shape made by MM. It has all the hallmarks of a Monogram Grade but no M on the stem but I bought it in any event.

The band is gold in color but so far I haven't been able to ascertain if it is gold plated or brass plated.

The bowl is substantial compared to most MM cobs and the shank is corn cob as well but the real conundrum is it has a stinger, this is not anything I've seen before on an MM and was hoping someone might be able to help date it, tell what model it is or anything pertinent.

In the meantime I'm keeping it smokey with the last of my F&T Cut Virginia Plug.
banjo

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: An MM cob I can't identify    Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:36 am

Banjo, one of the nicest looking Cobs I've seen. Was it customized possibly by someone other then MM? Very comfortable looking stem.
Thanks for KEEPING IT SMOKEY!!

PS
Snap a picture and email it to MM, they can help with identifying the pipe and when it was made. Good luck

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: An MM cob I can't identify    Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am

The front end looks a bit like a Diplomat, but like Lonecoyote, I wonder if it wasn't customized. Hopefully one of the members who know a lot more about cobs than I will check out the thread and enlighten us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
fishnbanjo

PostSubject: Re: An MM cob I can't identify    Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:26 am

I compare it to the two Monogram Grades I have, stem is of the same quality and fit, the hole for the stem is the same as is the decal, other than the band being a skeleton band and no M on the stem it's a Monogram Grade, I see nothing to think it was modified in any way but I do have an MM prototype that was never put into production and perhaps this one is as well, regards.
banjo
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: An MM cob I can't identify    Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:56 am

Looks like a real cob shank, which would put it way back in years. Am I right or wrong? Great looking cob, in any event. Wish they made more high quality cobs like this--without going apesh*t, of course. I'd be a buyer. Cobs will last, if cared for.

Or, be like Mark Twain. Burn 'em up, and buy cheapos by the gross.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: An MM cob I can't identify    Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:24 am

Banjo,
  Your theory of a prototype that was never marketed makes perfect sense. I have a MM from back in the 50's and always wondered..." who put the stinger on "?
Marilyn from MM would most likely have a definitive answer.

PS
Like the Dr stated, the bowl does look like a Diplomat. Just took a close look at one of mine, very similar if not exact.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: An MM cob I can't identify    Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:18 pm

DrT999 wrote:
The front end looks a bit like a Diplomat, but like Lonecoyote, I wonder if it wasn't customized.  Hopefully one of the members who know a lot more about cobs than I will check out the thread and enlighten us!

Diplomat also came to mind when I looked at the photo.

I must have one of the most sought after MM cobs........a bulldog with 14ct gold coated band and yellow acrylic stem. Smokes latakia like a dream ("Oh lord, it's hard to be humble") !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

PostSubject: Re: An MM cob I can't identify    Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:46 pm

You should be proud SpeedyPete, sound like a sweet looker as well as smoker, cheers.
banjo

SpeedyPete wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
The front end looks a bit like a Diplomat, but like Lonecoyote, I wonder if it wasn't customized.  Hopefully one of the members who know a lot more about cobs than I will check out the thread and enlighten us!

Diplomat also came to mind when I looked at the photo.

I must have one of the most sought after MM cobs........a bulldog with 14ct gold coated band and yellow acrylic stem.  Smokes latakia like a dream ("Oh lord, it's hard to be humble") !!
Back to top Go down

An MM cob I can't identify
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1