HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Trying some "match" blends...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Trying some "match" blends...   Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Read about the "match" tobaccos: attempts to recreate some old blends that are no more. Most, I understand, are made by Sutliff and were created by blenders of some renown. Thinking back on some tobaccos from my past I decided to inquire about a few, and order up some to see how they "matched" up to the blends I remember. My choices: Match Flying Dutchman, Match Brindley's Mixture, Match Balkan Sobranie 759, and Match Troost.

The Brindley's and the Troost arrived; the other two are back ordered and I assume will arrive in time. I was rather disappointed to find that the Troost is Troost Aromatic, which I admit I never tried back in the day. In fact, the Troost slices was what I remember. so it'll be interesting to see if the new blend brings back any old memories.

Today I took the Match Brindley's along. The old Faber & Coe blend was a steady tobacco for me for quite some time and I remember how devastated I was when it disappeared so I was excited to see how the match blend "matched up". I noticed right away that the cut is much different; the pouch I received is a rather loosely rubbed out sliced tobacco, not at all the familiar cube cut I remember. The "cookie jar" aroma I recall really wasn't there; in fact, the pouch aroma and the cut was closer to some of the unflavored Cavendish tobaccos (think Amphora Brown, etc.) I didn't get that "toasty burly/Virginia mix with a touch of Latakia" pouch aroma I was looking for.

Frankly it arrived a bit moist and could probably benefit from a bit of drying, but it was all I had with me, so I filled and lit. Enjoyable enough, nothing wrong with it, but it didn't bring back any memories, although maybe that's my fault...maybe I really don't remember what Brindley's Mixture tasted like. But I think I do, and I hope I do, and this just ain't it. A little bland, soft, no bite, but not much flavor. I'll finish the pouch, but probably won't order any more. Next...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Trying some "match" blends...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 am

I don't know if you ever smoked any Edgeworth but Sutliff's Ready Rubbed Match is so close to the original that in a blind taste test I don't believe I would be able to tell which was the original and which was the match. I've never smoked any of the others you mentioned so I can't speak about those. The only other match I tried was Sugar Barrel. It was awful, simply awful. Good luck on your quest. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying some "match" blends...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:36 am

I agree with AJ

Give Sutliff's Ready Rubbed Match a try, definitely.

I've smoked this fresh, just 3 or 4 bowls and really enjoyed the overall experience. I'm aging some in different size Mason jars. I have so many different blends opened now I figured... heck just keep it jarred for now. In a few months I will open a jar.

I'm still working on a tub of the original Edgeworth Ready Rubbed bounce bounce cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Trying some "match" blends...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 am

Sorry, a glitch in the system and my last post went up twice. So I deleted it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Trying some "match" blends...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:35 am

Idlefellow wrote:
Read about the "match" tobaccos: attempts to recreate some old blends that are no more. Most, I understand, are made by Sutliff and were created by blenders of some renown. Thinking back on some tobaccos from my past I decided to inquire about a few, and order up some to see how they "matched" up to the blends I remember. My choices: Match Flying Dutchman, Match Brindley's Mixture, Match Balkan Sobranie 759, and Match Troost.

The Brindley's and the Troost arrived; the other two are back ordered and I assume will arrive in time. I was rather disappointed to find that the Troost is Troost Aromatic, which I admit I never tried back in the day. In fact, the Troost slices was what I remember. so it'll be interesting to see if the new blend brings back any old memories.

Today I took the Match Brindley's along. The old Faber & Coe blend was a steady tobacco for me for quite some time and I remember how devastated I was when it disappeared so I was excited to see how the match blend "matched up". I noticed right away that the cut is much different; the pouch I received is a rather loosely rubbed out sliced tobacco, not at all the familiar cube cut I remember. The "cookie jar" aroma I recall really wasn't there; in fact, the pouch aroma and the cut was closer to some of the unflavored Cavendish tobaccos (think Amphora Brown, etc.) I didn't get that "toasty burly/Virginia mix with a touch of Latakia" pouch aroma I was looking for.

Frankly it arrived a bit moist and could probably benefit from a bit of drying, but it was all I had with me, so I filled and lit. Enjoyable enough, nothing wrong with it, but it didn't bring back any memories, although maybe that's my fault...maybe I really don't remember what Brindley's Mixture tasted like. But I think I do, and I hope I do, and this just ain't it. A little bland, soft, no bite, but not much flavor. I'll finish the pouch, but probably won't order any more. Next...

The Sutliff match was based on the Reymer & Brothers version, and that's the version I smoked when comparing the blends for the review. R&B may have changed the blend from the version you smoked. I did mention in the review that the latakia was a very light addition, more to add smoke and wood rather than the flavor generally associated with it. Perhaps the production you smoked had more?

And I agree with the others about the ERR Match. You can hardly tell the difference between it and original.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Trying some "match" blends...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:49 am

I never really liked the originals of these blends, even in smokeable condition, so I guess it's pointless to order any attempted clones. The last Brindley's I had was in about 1982. Great listed ingredients in the blend, but the tobacco in the pouches was usually dried-out and harsh, if you were forced to buy at a typical non-tobacconist. I often was, due to travel. Revelation, my favorite? Forget it. It was ALWAYS dried out. MacBaren in cans was my game at the time. A far better smoke than domestic burleys, in my opinion--although a love for 1950s Half & Half lingers in my soul.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Trying some "match" blends...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am

RB
I agree with what you stated about Half & Half, back in the 60's and early 70's it was an excellent Tobacco. Today...it's crap! The quality and the topping is absolutely horrendous No No

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Trying some "match" blends...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:17 am

Lonecoyote wrote:
RB
I agree with what you stated about Half & Half, back in the 60's and early 70's it was an excellent Tobacco. Today...it's crap! The quality and the topping is absolutely horrendous...

Yup. I've stated elsewhere that some time in, I think, the late '70s I grew suspicious of the blend and put it under a 30x microscope. I swear they were using chopped homogenized leaf in the blend--as "filler," apparently. Low-rent mofos!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Trying some "match" blends...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:49 am

RB

Oh it was definitely some type of chopped crap. Might be the same case with what's stated on the package of cheap cigars..." may contain non-tobacco ingredients ". Don't you love reading that....lmao. Like finely chopped thin cardboard... lol!

When I was MUCH younger ( my 20's ) I smoked many boxes of Optimo Palmas Maduro...like a few hundred boxes. Until one day I decided to check out the binder. Well, the binder looked like brown toilet paper...no $h-t...so I started only smoking hand made Dominicans at the time. Also Te'Amo cigars when they were good.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Trying some "match" blends...   Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:09 pm

HTL, homogenized tobacco leaf, is 99% tobacco, according to Lew Rothman, the founder of JR Tobacco. Personally, I think it's mostly stems. It's paper made of tobacco instead of wood or cotton, as I see it. I can tolerate it in an occasional cheap cigar, but not in pipe tobacco. Apparently the 1% glue or whatever it is makes my throat seem to burn slightly, even though I don't inhale. Weird, unwanted stuff.

(Apologies to OP for veering off course.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Trying some "match" blends...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1