HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Totality 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks for the reminder!!! Enjoy your night of smoking your favorites and relax. cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:21 pm

Got my glasses, my ticket, and lenses for the cameras.. I'm totally pumped for this! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:33 pm

I'll be traveling a little bit south to catch this at an animal sanctuary. Had to buy tickets, but that means I should be relatively cut off from the masses that'll be swarming Oregon. Looking forward to the event!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:31 am

Thanks for posting this Rande. Back in 1969 or '70 I was fortunate to be living up in the Northeast corner of my home State, North Carolina when there was a total eclipse. I was only 19 or 20 years old and thought it was totally (pun intended) awesome. 5)  I'm all excited about seeing this one however, where I live now, we will only see about 90% totality.  bounce

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:11 am

I'm finding this some what humorous. The sun is in the sky during daylight hours, the moon will be occluding some or all of it depending on your location. People are buying tickets/making reservations to see it. Think about that a minute. To my mind, this beats pet rocks! Told the wife to pick up a couple of the glasses next time she goes to the store. I'll set a coupe of lawn chairs out on the lawn. I'll get comfortable with a glass of iced tea, put on my two dollar glasses and look up. I'll say "OOHH" a couple of times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 am

WarlockBob wrote:
I'll be traveling a little bit south to catch this at an animal sanctuary. Had to buy tickets, but that means I should be relatively cut off from the masses that'll be swarming Oregon. Looking forward to the event!

Return your tickets and I'll give you my Mom's phone number! She lives between Prineville and Madras on 500+ acres of Grizzly Butte. You can go there for free! I'm totally serious by the way
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 am

I'm going to have 1:15 of total darkness here at the house. I was going to take the kids about 20 minutes north to a small lake we have been fishing at so we could get 2:15 of total darkness. I've decided that the extra minute isn't worth dealing with 5 million people. We're staying home.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:37 am

bosun1 wrote:
I'm finding this some what humorous...

Oh, sure, you can say that as a 21st century know-it-all in your Fancy Dan lawn chair, but there was a time when this was serious business. Ancient priests found these occurrences quite useful for wowing and controlling the herd. Show some respect. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:01 pm

AJ wrote:
Thanks for posting this Rande. Back in 1969 or '70 I was fortunate to be living up in the Northeast corner of my home State, North Carolina when there was a total eclipse. I was only 19 or 20 years old and thought it was totally (pun intended) awesome. 5)  I'm all excited about seeing this one however, where I live now, we will only see about 90% totality.  bounce

AJ

I remember that day well. The famous psychic Jeanne Dixon proclaimed that the world was going to end that day. Living in a small town in Ky. and being brainwashed as a Catholic, and being about 13, my mom told us to get down on our knees and say our last prayers as it started getting dark. Sad but now comical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:07 pm

All set her in Louisville. We will be at 96%. More excited though to see how my 6 year old reacts to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
bosun1 wrote:

Oh, sure, you can say that as a 21st century know-it-all in your Fancy Dan lawn chair, but there was a time when this was serious business. Ancient priests found these occurrences quite useful for wowing and controlling the herd. Show some respect. Wink

That's why I'm going, gotta charge up my chakras and begin the human sacrifices; how else are we supposed to bring the rain back?

geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:20 pm

I've experienced 2 partials.

First one as a wee lad of around 10 when I was attending YMCA summer camp on Long Lake in SE Wiz-can-sin. They herded all the campers into the mess hall so we wouldn't be tempted to look at the eclipse and burn our retinas.

I guess one the councillors found out I really wanted to see it, so they had rigged up a shadow box. This was simply a cardboard box that one put over your head. It had a small hole on one side and a piece of white paper attached to the other. When one directed the hole at the eclipse, you could then see the shadow reflected onto the white paper. I remember seeing a small sun orb with about a 1/4 of it being covered by the moon. Looked like a crescent. That was great, but not all that exciting. And I was careful not to look directly at the eclipse on my way out and back to the mess hall. Also remember that the daylight didn't seem any different than in full sunshine.

Next time was sometime in the early 80's. I was welding back then and went out of the shop with my welding mask and proceeded to look at it through the darkened glass in the helmet. Didn't know if this would be sufficient, but figured if it protected my eyes during welding it would be OK. And it turned out it was since I didn't experience any ill effects. Again this was about 1/4 eclipse, and there might have been a slight decrease in sunlight but I wouldn't swear to it.

This one will be pretty close to totality where I am. Think it's like 96%, and I plan to pick up some of the special glasses. Still have my welding helmet but this time I'm not going to chance it seeing as I only have one working eye these days.

And then today in the newspaper I read that there are some bogus glasses that aren't made to the specs that are needed. They're even stamped with the right logo that the bastards got off the net. So I'll be sticking with the brands they recommended. No way am I going to jeopardise the only eye I've got left!

Shocked

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Brewdude wrote:

And then today in the newspaper I read that there are some bogus glasses that aren't made to the specs that are needed. They're even stamped with the right logo that the bastards got off the net. So I'll be sticking with the brands they recommended. No way am I going to jeopardise the only eye I've got left!

Hopefully the ones we got from the local astronomical society are the real deal! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:25 pm

I think it's supposed to be 96% here at the zoo, so I booked a small plane to fly up to KC and see it from a friend's place.....

I tell you what. If I was in Oregon I would be on the headwaters of the Deschutes to watch this. Make predictions, sacrifices, and carve runes in the stones.

Inti and Mama Killa will dance together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 am

Richard Burley wrote:
bosun1 wrote:

CNN said there was nothing to worry about! Should I be worried? You never know with this faux news thing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 am

bosun1 wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:
bosun1 wrote:

CNN said there was nothing to worry about!  Should I be worried?  You never know with this faux news thing!

You had me at "CNN said..." Now I am frightened. I'd say it's every man for himself, and watch for looters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Hmmm........

Can't seem to find any store in my area that has the special glasses. I would've thought they'd be selling like hotcakes.

I see I can get them from amazon but the smallest quantity I can get is a 4-pk and I only need one pair. So I'll continue to look around. Maybe Target or somewhere sells single pairs.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:31 am

Brewdude wrote:
Hmmm........

Can't seem to find any store in my area that has the special glasses. I would've thought they'd be selling like hotcakes.

I see I can get them from amazon but the smallest quantity I can get is a 4-pk and I only need one pair. So I'll continue to look around. Maybe Target or somewhere sells single pairs.

Cheers,

RR

This should point you in the right direction to obtain the special glasses you need. CLICK HERE Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unclebeer

Registration date : 2017-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm right smack dab in the middle of the eclipse path. I'll be watching from the roof of the hospital where I work, the only question is whether I'll be able to drive home in under an hour or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Only another 10 days cheers cheers cheers

Enjoy the Solar Eclipse but remember.......

The only time you can look at the sun with your naked eye is A) if you're in the path of totality, where the sun will be completely covered by the moon, and B) during those two minutes or less when the sun is completely covered. You can definitely damage your eyes without the proper glasses. We all want to look up and watch, seriously don't.

Enjoy the eclipse and it's not going to be the END OF THE 🌎

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Hurray! I was able to snag one of the last pair of the glasses today. The display literally had 4 or 5 sets left and the store didn't expect to get in any more.

Thanks for the hot tip AJ! Now all I have to do is hope it won't be overcast on the day.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Brewdude wrote:

Thanks for the hot tip AJ! Now all I have to do is hope it won't be overcast on the day.

Cheers,

RR

You're very welcome Rande.
Always happy to give a helping hand to a friend. cheers

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Things have been heating up here in the Pac NW for the Totality event.

Saw on the news yesterday that Bend, OR (which is expected to be in 100% totality) had a 15 mile backup getting into town! Similar reports of other areas.

And the roads around the Emerald city have been flooded with cars, campers, RV's and the like for those getting outta Dodge early. It's a Fustercluck right now!

Today I read that one fleapit motel in Casper, WY was charging over $1100 for a room on the day. Nice work, if you can get it I suppose!

Mad

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 am

Talked to my mom last night. It took her an hour to get across Prineville, OR on her way home from work last night. Now that she's back on the mountain she isn't leaving again until Tuesday morning.
Back to top Go down

Totality 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next