HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Totality 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Well, here I am, just outside KC MO. Chillin with my homies, sippin and puffin, full of food I didn't have to cook.

Feeling myself. What a great day. Perhaps after the "end of the world(again)" I'll go through Washington MO and pick up some cob pipes.... It is kind of on the way home, and they make great bombing fodder....

Happy Eclipse Eve!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:12 pm

...nearly zero hour. Good luck everyone. Hopefully this won't herald the end of the world. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unclebeer

Registration date : 2017-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 pm

I've scoped out my spot on the roof. It's so bright out there now it hurts my eyes with sunglasses on (white rubber roof). Headed back up there after lunch with my handy dandy eclipse shades- I got the front row seat to the tallest spot in town (about 10 stories) right in the middle of the path of totality. Cool

Then the mass exodus begins. I think I might stick around and catch a couple of hours of overtime, give the traffic a little time to clear up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Come and gone now. Our area got 93% totality, and during the main phase the sunlight on the ground was dimmed but not like twilight. Watched it come and go through the special glasses. Also saw coverage on the TV where it was 100%. Pretty kewl, but not mind blowing where I am.

Over the weekend the freeways were jammed with campers, RV's and the like all headed to OR for the 100% event. That was nuts!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
unclebeer

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 pm

We had about a minute and a half of totality, visible through the clouds. Sadly, I was unable to smoke a pipe on the roof of the hospital :/
It was definitely a good show. Too cloudy for shadowbands and the crescent shadows but still pretty special.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:06 pm

About 95% here, like v early twilight despite just the tiny sliver of sun visible. Interesting but not mind blowing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:31 pm

94% was great, my wife and I passed out our extra pairs of glasses at the pool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Some add-on's to my prior post-

Came and went mid-morning. Our area got 93% totality, and during the main phase the sunlight on the ground was dimmed but not like twilight. Guess I expected it to be darker on the ground. Watched it come and go through the special glasses. Pretty kewl, but not mind blowing where I am.

Also saw coverage on the TV in our brewery Tap Room where it was 100% somewhere in OR and a little later Carbondale, Illinois. The news camera was somewhere in a big field with hundreds of campers and it did get almost as dark as late twilight, but then like 2 minutes later was bright again. And the TV showed the full meal deal with the moon showing the sun's corona and then the "diamond" as it started to peek out again. Guess I'll watch the coverage over on the evening news in a little while.

Over the weekend the freeways here were jammed with campers, RV's and the like all headed south to OR for the 100% event. That was nuts, and a total fustercluck to anyone who had to go about their normal business!

All in all, I would rate it 5 on a 1-10 scale. Perhaps not worth all they hype, but then again I wasn't in the areas for the 100% event.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Well, here in Knightdale NC...still going to be here for 2 to 3 more days, it did get a tad darker and then extremely bright. Was able to take a picture too share. A little disappointed due to some cloud coverage and lack of totality view.
Take a close look at the picture, to the lower right, with a magnifying glass if you have one handy.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unclebeer

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:42 pm

100% totality was pretty cool, even through the clouds. You could even see some of the topology of the moon as the sun shone around it. I was surprised that the corona was as visible as it was through the clouds. The temperature dropped a few degrees and the wind picked up. It was kind of amazing to see the difference in illumination from totality to the barest sliver of sun... I'm looking forward to the next one, 7 years from now.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Note the sunspots in the center and lower left. Yup, I love my filters....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:21 am

OW

Great view you had, that's more like what I expected too see.
Also, my picture was taken with my iPad.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:08 am

My wife and I drove from NC to Saint Matthews SC to view it. About 4 hours of driving on the way down and 5 five coming back due to the traffic. Well worth the time and effort. It was a last minute decision to make the trip and I'm glad we went, since I'm not sure when we'll ever have to opportunity to see one again.

Here is my best picture of it. I don't have to proper gear for taking pictures like this so I'm pretty happy with how it looks. My main goal wasn't to take pictures anyway. I just wanted to experience that moment when it gets really dark.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 am

swhipple

Wow, excellent picture. Thanks for sharing...it's a keeper!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:47 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:

Note the sunspots in the center and lower left. Yup, I love my filters....

...they'll polish out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:52 am

Remarkable thing though, especially the coincidence of the moon being 400 times smaller than the sun whilst also being 400 times closer. That's one heck of a roll of the dice.

Only ever seen a few partials here in Blighty, enough to trick wildlife into settling down for the night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:32 am

Stick wrote:
Remarkable thing though, especially the coincidence of the moon being 400 times smaller than the sun whilst also being 400 times closer. That's one heck of a roll of the dice.

No kidding! Timing is everything, as the moon used to be closer to the earth back in "the day". And the sun will eventually expand. Yuppers, pretty remarkable indeed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Stick wrote:

No kidding! Timing is everything, as the moon used to be closer to the earth back in "the day". And the sun will eventually expand. Yuppers, pretty remarkable indeed!

I'm impressed by your phots revealing the sun spots too Wiz. Did it cross your mind that this might happen or was it a surprise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Stick wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:
Stick wrote:

I'm impressed by your phots revealing the sun spots too Wiz.  Did it cross your mind that this might happen or was it a surprise?

As an Astronomy buff, I do follow SOHO (SOlar and Heliospheric Observatory) and knew there would be flares, but wasn't confident at my ability to capture them with my equipment. I could see them on my monitor though while shooting. The biggest issue was keeping the thunderclouds at bay. Weather spells take a bit of concentration, and I was distracted with the cameras and answering questions

We won't mention the pints of home brewed Porter that kept ending up in my paws....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Oh my.... Is this what I think it is?

Lower right quadrant. I'll have to check the path of the ISS. The silhouette looks right, and it's not in other photos.

Holy cow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:

Lower right quadrant. I'll have to check the path of the ISS. The silhouette looks right, and it's not in other photos.

Holy cow!

Well now Wiz. I think you're onto something there.  See link below and scroll down to near the bottom...

Solar eclipse 2017: The pictures you have to see - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41010898

I'd say you caught the second one in the sequence moving right to left!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Looks like I'll need to dig deeper into the folder! Very cool! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Totality 2017   Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:31 pm

Stick wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:

Holy cow!

Well now Wiz. I think you're onto something there.  See link below and scroll down to near the bottom...

Solar eclipse 2017: The pictures you have to see - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41010898

I'd say you caught the second one in the sequence moving right to left!

David, that's a very cool link with some great pics. Thanks for sharing!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

Totality 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2