HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I'll probably never understand....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:19 pm

... an addition to my last post...

I'm fortunate enough to have a large garage half of which is slowly becoming dedicated to my man cave. To this end I have recently taken possession of an old beat up sofa that I'm able to watch the life of the 'shire go by from. In the last few days king fishers have been spotted by my neighbour so perhaps I'll be lucky enough to spot one of those.

To get to the point, now that I have the startings of a dedicated man cave, fingers crossed my weekly smoke count will start to go up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Stick wrote:
... an addition to my last post...

I'm fortunate enough to have a large garage half of which is slowly becoming dedicated to my man cave.  To this end I have recently taken possession of an old beat up sofa that I'm able to watch the life of the 'shire go by from.  In the last few days king fishers have been spotted by my neighbour so perhaps I'll be lucky enough to spot one of those.

To get to the point, now that I have the startings of a dedicated man cave, fingers crossed my weekly smoke count will start to go up.

Please post some pics when you have time mate. Aren't you located opposite a pasture for bovine grazing? Sounds idyllic and just the ticket.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Slowroll

Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:22 pm

I have to admit I'll probably never understand all this smoking outside. Except on a calm evening on my deck, I don't even like smoking outside. Too much breeze on the tobacco, makes it hotter. Nice comfortable evening in the living room, dining room or library makes for a great smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:00 pm

im probly the only one that could smoke 10 boels of bulkan in a day. i smoke any where from 1 time to 10 times a day if im.wood working
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Darn Stick! Only three bowls per week and they'd put me in Bedlam. Not sure if I could get by on three pipes per day. I understand your situation as explained but maybe after you get your man cave set up you can smoke in that and work your way up to at least two bowls per day provided you'll be home evenings. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Slowroll wrote:
I have to admit I'll  probably never understand all this smoking outside. Except on a calm evening on my deck, I don't  even like smoking outside. Too much breeze on the tobacco, makes it hotter. Nice comfortable evening in the living room, dining  room  or library makes for a  great smoke.

Alas, some of us just don't have that option! Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
AJ

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Slowroll wrote:
I have to admit I'll  probably never understand all this smoking outside. Except on a calm evening on my deck, I don't  even like smoking outside. Too much breeze on the tobacco, makes it hotter. Nice comfortable evening in the living room, dining  room  or library makes for a  great smoke.

Alas, some of us just don't have that option! Sad

The Professor is right. Many cannot smoke in their homes or cars for a number of valid reasons such as other family members are allergic to smoke or they don't want the odor in their house or clothing. They may not want their walls and ceilings stained with tar and nicotine. I'm very fortunate to be able to smoke inside my home. Our AC system uses the same type of filter that hospitals use to remove, dust, smoke, and bacteria from their facilities and I also have a commercial grade air purifier with a HEPA filter along with ozone and ultra violet light options. I do this to reduce any second hand smoke hazard. These precautionary steps reduce the risk substantially but nothing reduces the risk in it's entirety. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Jeez, AJ,if I had to do all that I'd probably quit smoking or get a divorce. Shocked my only air filter is my nose hair. Hell, it's my house, if it gets tobacco tar on the ceiling, who cares. But, I'm a curmudgeon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:34 am

Slowroll wrote:
Jeez, AJ,if I had to do all that I'd  probably quit smoking or get a divorce. Shocked  my only air filter is my nose hair. Hell, it's my house, if it gets tobacco tar on the ceiling, who cares.  But, I'm a curmudgeon.  

I'm sitting here now laughing at your response. I agree with you totally about home ownership and the freedom of the owner to do as he pleases with his property. In my case I have a wife that I adore and have for over 47 years. We've been marrried for 45 of those years. Her comfort and well being is of great importance to me. She's not a big fan of the odor of pipe smoke regardless of type or blend, however she never complains and has given me pipes as gifts on certain occasions. Removing the offending smoke quickly from her presence is my attempt to show her how much she is appreciated. I subscribe to a filter service and once every three months a new filter arrives for my AC unit and every 6 months for the air purifier. Filters for the AC are only $22 with each shipment but the HEPA Filters cost a bit more. The AC is controlled by a thermostat and the air purifier has a remote control. There really isn't much hassle in pushing a button on the remote control twice a day. Once when I get up and then when we go to bed. She's worth the effort. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:01 am

I'm with you AJ and we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this week!  

Whilst my wife often says 'do you fancy a smoke?' because she enjoys the smell of some blends in small quantities, she'd never tolerate it in the house. I both respect and agree with this.  As recently  discussed elsewhere I also believe that for someone like me who seems to spend much of their time tense and stressed, on balance smoking in moderation probably has health benefits. However, I don't believe this notion would extend to my young children, especially as their bodies are still developing. I just wouldn't want to take the risk.

And as for surviving on 3 or so bowls a week, I can tell you now they are pure bliss!  I never do anything else when I smoke, I just attend fully to each and every sup which is why I think I benefit from the process. I say process because I include the prep in this; baccy / pipe selection, drying, rubbing, packing etc. A couple more bowls wouldn't go amiss though Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:50 am

And some of us live in apartments! Smoking outdoors is a bit hazardous for pipes, so I smoke cobs and meers much more often than I otherwise would. However, one building developed severe foundation problems, and is now mostly used for storage by the complex -- that gives me a nice walking area under a balcony with a 120 ft walkway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Slowroll

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:47 am

My wife smokes cigarettes, so in a contest of aromas, I win, hands down. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:59 pm

I live a singular life ( been married 3 times and all three liked my pipes except for my Latakia blends. Said they smelt like garbage Twisted Evil  ) and have for the past 16 years so I smoke any where i want in my house except for my bedroom which is reserved for sleeping Twisted Evil .  Life is good !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:38 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I live a singular life ( been married 3 times and all three liked my pipes except for my Latakia blends. Said they smelt like garbage Twisted Evil  ) and have for the past 16 years so I smoke any where i want in my house except for my bedroom which is reserved for sleeping Twisted Evil .  Life is good !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

For some reason, most women don't like latakia aromas. My first wife didn't either, but since she also didn't like airplanes, she became my ex. Current wife of 35 years also isn't too crazy about latakia, but since she smokes cigarettes, I've just always said "so you think cigarettes smell good?" So she stops complaining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Slowroll wrote:
For some reason,  most women don't  like latakia aromas. My first wife didn't either, but since she also didn't like airplanes, she became my ex. Current wife of 35 years also isn't too crazy about latakia, but since she smokes cigarettes,  I've  just always said "so you think cigarettes smell good?" So she stops complaining.

Attaboy Slowrol! You tell'em! (Then duck and run for cover) lol!  Sorry ol' boy sometimes I just can't help it. 5)

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:45 am

Attaboy Slowrol! You tell'em! (Then duck and run for cover) lol!  Sorry ol' boy sometimes I just can't help it. 5)

AJ[/quote]

Well, if you don't tell em periodically, you'll just get run over. After all, wives tend to want to make the rules. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Slowroll wrote:
Well, if you don't tell em periodically, you'll just get run over. After all, wives tend to want to make the rules.

Yup, and that's why I'm single and will be buried single. Something tells me they don't stop yapping even when next to you underground...lmao!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:22 pm

[quote="Lonecoyote"]
Slowroll wrote:
Well, if you don't tell em periodically, you'll just get run over. After all, wives tend to want to make the rules.

Yup, and that's why I'm single and will be buried single. Something tells me they don't stop yapping even when next to you

Someone once said as an explanation of why men die before their wives-- "because they want to."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:17 pm

I just found out what MGTOW meant watching Kel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:32 pm

Slowroll wrote:

Someone once said as an explanation of why men die before their wives-- "because they want to."

One old codger replied to the question, "Do you want to die before your wife?", and contemptuously he replied, "There's absolutely no way I'm going to give that bitch cause to celebrate!" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:29 am

One old codger replied to the question, "Do you want to die before your wife?", and contemptuously he replied, "There's absolutely no way I'm going to give that bitch cause to celebrate!" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

AJ[/quote]

I like the pugnacious philosophy there Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Someone in a previous post brought up the relation between 2nd hand smoke and outdoors smoking. My understanding is, years back,  research indicated the harmful effects of excessive smoking, but a surgeon general observed that some smoking could be a healthful relaxant, since Vitamin N is a relaxant, not a stimulant.

This led to the reasonable Q, "Okay, what is a safe limit on tobacco use?" As I recall, an estimate for pipers was eight or ten bowls a day. (!!!) This freaked out the Nicotine Nazis who quickly turned the topic to 2nd hand smoke and, of course, the effect on children. The mantra became, ""There is no safe use of tobacco."

Intuitively, this seems to be a nonsensical claim.  So, far as I know, there never has been satisfactory research on health effects of smoking on pipers. For that matter, the reports on second hand smoke should be taken with half a shaker of salt.

Also, as I've said before, I believe much of the relaxing effect of pipe smoking is the rhythmic, controlled breathing pattern used by experienced pipers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:29 pm

I've always thought that if second hand smoke was such a problem then no one living in any city would live long because of all the foul bus exhaust fumes and the noxious output of all city politicians.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Slowroll wrote:
I've always thought that if second hand smoke was such a problem then no one living in any city would live long because of all the foul  bus exhaust fumes and the noxious output of all city politicians.

Laughing cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I'll probably never understand....   Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:19 am

Slowroll wrote:
I've always thought that if second hand smoke was such a problem then no one living in any city would live long because of all the foul  bus exhaust fumes and the noxious output of all city politicians.

I once saw an estimate that living in NYC was the equivalent of smoking two packs a day. Sounds made up to me, but who knows . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I'll probably never understand....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: