HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How do you rub yours out?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: How do you rub yours out?   Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:16 am

Brewdude wrote:
So far I've had limited success with the fold and stuff method. Think I only got it right once, or maybe twice. And that's for the more pliable flakes such as PS and the like, or even the coins of Escudo and their ilk.

RR

Rande, you've probably been on this journey but just in case...

I found the trick was to rough up the plug before sliding into the bowl. Fold into thirds across the grain (a 'Z' fold), roll with grain - and here's the important bit - holding the plug between your thumb and 2 forefingers of each hand, flex the plug along its length. You're not looking to flex as if snapping a pencil, but keep your finger tips moving parallel to each other. This will give the plug a springiness. Slide it in and light her up! This works really well with regular cut flakes like a SG. Works for me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: How do you rub yours out?   Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm going to have to try that one. I've never managed to get an SG flake to work for me folded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: How do you rub yours out?   Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Stick wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
So far I've had limited success with the fold and stuff method. Think I only got it right once, or maybe twice. And that's for the more pliable flakes such as PS and the like, or even the coins of Escudo and their ilk.

RR

Rande, you've probably been on this journey but just in case...

I found the trick was to rough up the plug before sliding into the bowl.  Fold into thirds across the grain (a 'Z' fold), roll with grain - and here's the important bit - holding the plug between your thumb and 2 forefingers of each hand, flex the plug along its length.  You're not looking to flex as if snapping a pencil, but keep your finger tips moving parallel to each other.  This will give the plug a springiness.  Slide it in and light her up!  This works really well with regular cut flakes like a SG.  Works for me!

David mate, I'll try your method next time I have a flake that will work with that technique. I have to admit I've only tried the "fold and stuff" thing maybe twice, and the first time it worked OK. The second time not so much. Given that you and others have such success with this prods me into revisiting it.

Perhaps one can teach an old dog a new trick!

Wink

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: How do you rub yours out?   Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Generations ago some very wise person said, "Where there's a will there's a way." I've found this true too many times to be a coincidence. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: How do you rub yours out?   Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:16 am

Slowly.

In all seriousness though I tend to either take my flakes and fold and stuff vary much as Stick described. Or i will take an amount I know will fill the bowl in question and just wad it up into a brillo pad type plug of tobacco that I just slip into the bowl, light and go. Both work just fine for me. I also enjoy cube cutting flakes and gravity feeding those.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: How do you rub yours out?   Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:52 am

I've also discovered when you rub out any Navy flake or bullseye there is more complexity with no dull moments in between. Is this just me??

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How do you rub yours out?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: