HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Askwith Kake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Askwith Kake   Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:30 pm

Hey all, with GQ Tobaccos no longer producing this blend, I was curious if anyone had tried it and their impression. I may, or may not, have a fair amount.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:41 pm

I tried it and reviewed it. I thought it was a very good blend. It's got a fair amount of strength, so I had smoked it in a small bowl. Here's my review:

The flue cured Virginias are grassy without being dull as some lesser grades are known to be. They also possess a mild natural sweetness with a few citrus and honey notes. The steamed Virginias are sweet with a light fruitiness. A minor herbal hit shows up here and there. With a 20 percent perique content, one might think it’d knock you off your feet, but that doesn’t happen with this blend, though a small to medium bowl is recommended. The perique is plumy, raisiny, mildly spicy and fairly smooth with a medium nic-hit. Many blends with this much perique would have a little harshness, but not this one. In fact, I found this kake to have a little creaminess. Has no dull spots and won't bite. It’s easy to break apart and load, and burns at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor, and a pleasant after taste. Needs few relights and leaves almost no moisture in the bowl. Despite its strength, it's repeatable during the day, though I wouldn't say it's an all day smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 pm

I don't speak as eloquently as Mr Jim does in reviews, but I like it a good bit. Fittingly enough I find it to smoke best in a wide bowled Askwith pipe I have. Figure it he two are made for each other. It's a good performing va/per.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:14 pm

I had the opportunity to try this from a small sample a brother sent me. Liked it a lot, but when I was preparing to order some along with a few others Glynn threw in the towel! Hope someone else can produce this as it was a fine blend.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:08 pm

I have some that is waiting for the "fullness of time." I expect to like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371 Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 pm

I've never heard of it!

So many tobaccos, so little time..............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:56 am

Never had a chance to try it, but Glynn's tobaccos come highly rated. No doubt about it, he's a tobacco guy.

Anyway, I finally figured out how to place an order with GQ, exchanged several emails with Glynn about his mixtures, finally scraped the money together for a killer purchase only to find out that he had decided to fold up the business. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:10 am

Glynn was a heck of a nice guy. It broke his heart the day he was no longer able to ship tobacco's to the USA, or basically export anywhere out of the U.K.  A BIG chunk of his business was exporting, but his doors are still opened to the Brits and torists. Glynn still ships pipes to the USA.
 SO, if you have a friend in the U.K. Send the bloke some scratch to pick you up some blends your missing out on. Go check, as of last month GQ was still open for local business.  
 Now, make a Brit a good friend, there are plenty of great people from England scratch scratch

JOHN, hope your feeling much better and your spirits have been lifted.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 am

Hmmm scratch  The last I read the brand was there but Glynn was no longer involved. And by "brand" I mean the name of the retailer, not Glynn's mixtures which are absent from the GQ site.

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/blog/gq-tobaccos-changing-hands/

New developments maybe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:32 am

DrumsAndBeer

Yes, Glynn's blends are no longer made ( but there is talk again it might be back for the locals ) but GQ is still in business and had a few of the blends sold locally only. A buddy I met while living in Europe sent me 4oz. each of two blends that Glynn use to make often. They arrive by a Magic Carpet... lol! lol!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nismo270r

Registration date : 2011-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Askwith Kake was one of Glynn's best blends, IMHO of course. Was so sad to see his wonderful house blends go when all the regulations came down in the UK. I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for some of your Askwith Kake today! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:00 am

I liked Glynn's GQ Askwith Kake very much. I dodn't think I didn't like any of the GQ blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Askwith Kake   Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:38 pm

DoverPipes wrote:
I liked Glynn's GQ Askwith Kake very much. I dodn't think I didn't like any of the GQ blends.

Seeing that I'm into the kake pressing business now, I can maybe make some for you lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Askwith Kake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: