HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alrightdriver

Registration date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm looking at 2 savinelli pipes a trevi 311 ks and a trevi 320 ks.. I'm having a hard time deciding. I really like the look of both, they have the exact same price of 80 bucks. Can anyone help me decide, sorta like a pros and cons kind of thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:20 pm

alrightdriver wrote:
I'm looking at 2 savinelli pipes a trevi 311 ks and a trevi 320 ks.. I'm having a hard time deciding. I really like the look of both, they have the exact same price of 80 bucks. Can anyone help me decide, sorta like a pros and cons kind of thing?

I prefer a wider bowl to catch more flavor nuances, so I'd go with the 320KS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alrightdriver

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:28 pm

that was the way I was leaning, But I also really like the poker shape along with the flat bottom. thanks for the input. does the wider bowl really make that much difference? most of the pipes I have currently have fairly skinny bowls compared to the 320.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:39 pm

I own two of the 320KS Savinelli's and enjoy them both. I too much prefer the wider bowl, especially with some of my Flake blends.†
Hope this helps with your decision, good luck† cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alrightdriver

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:47 pm

well that is 2 votes for the 320, I guess the wider bowl does make a difference, and that is what i love about this hobby, I am constantly learning something new. I really want both of them but funds dictate only one at this time. That just means I will probably end up grabbing the 320, and then get the poker later on. I guess I am one of those "normal" pipe smokers in the fact that I want a nice collection eventually. I currently smoke mostly cobs, but I also have a hardcastle, a tinderbox lord jeff, and a small carved meer.. I spend entierly too much time researching pipes lol, and have a list of want to buy eventually pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:14 pm

I just purchased a 2016 Saint Nicholas 320 today. I had a different 320 a few years ago and really liked it. I regretted selling it, so this is finally the replacement. Never had their 311, but I'm sure it would be nice also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yarnspinner68

Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:45 pm

I've had both 320 KS and the 311 KS. I still have the 320 and smoke it frequently. As much as I liked he poker shape, it just didn't smoke as well for me.

That leads me to what the motto of Stokers' Haven back in the day: Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. In other words, choose the one that speaks to you because pipes are a very personal thing.

Good luck in your choosing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:22 pm

I have a 311 and itís a very handy little sitter. Took some break in time, but itís doing fine. If you smoke a lot of fine and medium ribbon cuts, Iíd go this way.

FYI, if you check the Missouri Meerschaum site, they sell a Dagner design of the 311 thatís a cob. Sometimes SP has them. Price is reasonable. I was traveling last week and this little cob poker was an amiable companion.

About the 320 ó I donít think Iíve ever met a piper who doesnít like the look of this pipe. But it is heavy, if youíre a clenched and that matters to you. Purely personal ó one of my pipe biases is that certain pipes visually work best on certain pipers. You know, Bing Crosby and his sleek billiards. The 320, I think, requires a piper of ample girth and a substantial beard. Santa probably smokes a 320 on his annual journey.

Just my opinion on the matter. I hope your choice makes you happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alrightdriver

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks for the help in deciding everyone. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 320. I will probably by the 311 in the future to use as a flake and vaper pipe, but the comments about the 320 being better for english blends sold me on it this round, as that was what I intended to smoke out of it mainly. I grabbed the pipe a couple tins of some new to me tobacco. Again, thanks for the help in deciding. I may check out the mm poker in the meantime as a sort of tide me over till I am able to buy another briar. I am all about the savinelli's and until I have satisfied that demon I have at least to more sav's I want. the 311 and bings favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:43 am

I only have one Sav and it's a 320. The only Sav that for me smoked worth a damn.
Oh! And all I smoke in it is Vaper, Escudo to be a fact.
And I'd buy another one at a drop of a hat but, that's the only Sav I'd buy. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:54 am

What HE said^^^^^^^!!
I own 4 Savinelli pipes and 2 are 320KS, one of which is a†
Savinelli Punto Oro 320 KS Natural which was gifted to me by a Dr friend who visited Savinelli while in italy †its a natural punto oro that cost him over $325.00 †does not smoke any better then my much less expenpsive 320KS †
My opinion, Savinelli makes many styles but the 320KS is a superb smoker...cheerscheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
I only have one Sav and it's a 320. The only Sav that for me smoked worth a damn.
Oh! And all I smoke in it is Vaper, Escudo to be a fact.
And I'd buy another one at a drop of a hat but, that's the only Sav I'd buy. Wink

Yes! And you know what, the Trevi 320KS, cheapest of the lot in my rotation, is also the best smoker:lol:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:51 pm

It's the 320 from me AD. Had to look them both up but it's the chubby looker that would get my vote, no contest.

[Damn it, that's another to add to my wish list].
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:14 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
Yes! And you know what, the Trevi 320KS, cheapest of the lot in my rotation, is also the best smoker:lol:

I totally agree!! I posted earlier what I was smoking and the 320KS Trevi was my choice. It smokes as good if not better than my 320KS natural punto oro which was recently purchased for me in Italy @ the cost of †$325.00. †
STICK......get yourself a 320KS Trevi for about $80.00 or less

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:18 pm

Late to the party here, but I'm not familiar with the 311. However I do have an estate Sav Punto Oro 320 that is one of my favourite smokers. Also have a few other 320's that I enjoy a lot - a Tevere and a Sistina.

Plus a Brebbia Sun which is meer lined. And have 2 fantastic Ron Powell chubby authors that are the schiznet! Seems to be a go-to shape for me.

Lonecoyote wrote:

Agree. SP has a wide selection of these.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:08 am

While I donít own a Savinelli 320 or 311 for that matter I do own the Dunhill equivalent, the DK which is also called the Author and I have one of Trever Talbertís Goblins also in the Author shape, it is a fine pipe in every respect smoking flakes, my most often smoked tobaccos, shags, and coins either as such or cut from ropes, I doubt youíll be unhappy with a 320, cheers.
banjo
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Late to the party here, but I'm not familiar with the 311. However I do have an estate Sav Punto Oro 320 that is one of my favourite smokers. Also have a few other 320's that I enjoy a lot - a Tevere and a Sistina.

Plus a Brebbia Sun which is meer lined. And have 2 fantastic Ron Powell chubby authors that are the schiznet! Seems to be a go-to shape for me.

Lonecoyote wrote:

Agree. SP has a wide selection of these.

Cheers,

RR

Stone the crows, that dark author with the rusticated finish is a fine looking briar and is right up my strasse. †Cracking value too on SP. £60 sterling (without postage).

Mmmmm, time to hatch a plan....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:

I totally agree!! I posted earlier what I was smoking and the 320KS Trevi was my choice. It smokes as good if not better than my 320KS natural punto oro which was recently purchased for me in Italy @ the cost of †$325.00. †

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

$320.00 ?? you can get that same pipe for $100.00 less from SP!! Did you get it from the Savinelli store in Italy or was it signed by Achilles Savinelli ? †Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I have a plain shell finished 320ks Punto oro which is one of the finest smoking pipes I have but then ALL 8 of my PO's are like that !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help   Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:15 pm

monbla256 wrote:
$320.00 ?? you can get that same pipe for $100.00 less from SP!! Did you get it from the Savinelli store in Italy or was it signed by Achilles Savinelli ? †Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I have a plain shell finished 320ks Punto oro which is one of the finest smoking pipes I have but then ALL 8 of my PO's are like that !!

It was purchased for me as a gift by a doctor friend directly from the Savinelli store in Italy. Smokingpipes has the exact pipe for sale. Below is a picture....

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1