HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Randy Wiley Pipes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Randy Wiley Pipes?   Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 pm

I love a couple of his carved rusticated finishes, especially the Old Oak but I am very curious about how they smoke and how well they are engineered. He seems to make a lot of pipes, so I have my concerns.

Anyone own one or more of his pipes? Care to comment?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Randy Wiley Pipes?   Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:20 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I love a couple of his carved rusticated finishes, especially the Old Oak but I am very curious about how they smoke and how well they are engineered. He seems to make a lot of pipes, so I have my concerns.

Anyone own one or more of his pipes? Care to comment?

Thanks

Yes.

I own but one Wiley and it's one of my go-to's.

Got it back around '01 or so from the (then) local T-Box. It's basically a Dublin, with a Rhody touch. Has a very cool tobacco leaf carved on the bowl. It was a light finish when I got it, but it's darkened over time and use. Now a very mellow bronze.

I smoke it at least several times/wk and is best for VaPers since the tapered bowl concentrates the flavour as it burns. It loves 2015. I also use it for Night Train, which I just finished tonight!

I've been looking to get in another Wiley, but so far none of his designs have grabbed me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, including and especially since the price is right.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Basketball

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Randy Wiley Pipes?   Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks Rande, I appreciate your input.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Randy Wiley Pipes?   Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:35 am

I sent a Wiley pipe in my lot to Blue Room Briars, it was one of my favorites and I picked it up in the mid 80s in Jacksonville Fl. Keep an eye out for when they list it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Randy Wiley Pipes?   Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Thanks for the heads up John, and I appreciate you chiming in with your opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Randy Wiley Pipes?   Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:40 pm

I believe he is one of the chosen makers for McCranie's Pipe Shop, and they have a rich history of great makers creating for their proprietary lines. Of course, that doesn't really mean two mouse turds, because one decision to save a penny or to look for a shortcut can undermine any kind of brand integrity on the turn of a dime. Plenty of brands and companies have built a quality reputation over tens and tens of years, only to make one cheap, half-step move to erase all that effort. Having said all that, their ebay store doesn't show any Wiley in stock. Maybe they're sold out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Randy Wiley Pipes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1