HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm on the hunt for Solani Aged Burley Flake and/or Wessex Burley Slices, but everyone seems to be perpetually sold out. Sad

SmokingPipes, 4Noggins, P&C, Cup o Joes, Mars, Iwan Ries - all sold out as of this writing. Some of these retailers don't even ship to Canada, but I thought I'd look anyway.

Anywhere else I should/could be looking? Are there similar blends out there that are readily available? The tobacco locator on SP.com suggest Peterson's Irish Flake, Stokkebye 1931, and Rattray's Stirling Flake, though the reviews for IF and SF indicate much stronger blends than ABF, and the 1931 sounds more like a Navy flake with black cavendish and burley added than a burley flake.

I've tried one of the four C&D Burley Flake blends and couldn't finish the bowl, so I'm not keen on sampling the other three....

I broke down yesterday and dropped $35CAD on a single 50g tin of ABF at my local B&M, but I can't afford to cellar tins at those prices. I've set up email alerts that should ping me when/if new stock arrives. I'll be stocking up when it does!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Both the Wessex and Solani ABF go through periods where they're out of stock for a spell.

Similar phenomenon to blends like Astley's 44, McConnell Scottish Flake/Cake & F&T Cut VA Plug. Cult following, and when they're restocked, folks panic buy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Just my luck then, I guess! 😕 Thanks DB.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:10 am

Have you tried Exhausted Rooster? A C&D Blend thatís quite worthy.

View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:14 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Have you tried Exhausted Rooster? A C&D Blend thatís quite worthy.

I have not! Thanks for the suggestion. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ak2000

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:59 pm

I had been looking for both as well and found the Solani at an online shop based in Germany. Price with shipping not great, but not bad if you buy enough to fill a box up. That said, I also really enjoy C&D Burley Flake #3, which I find to be as good if not better than Solani. Burley Flake #1 is also pretty good. I did not care for the #2 and have not tried #4 as yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com Online
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:08 am

also for ABF, consider contacting Steve Monjure. His company distributes Solani in the states, although his price per tin is a bit higher. Steve is a cool dude. Wonky website but he's the dude. Also a good guy to contact if you're in the market for an Ardor and you desire a specific piece.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:00 am

Great tip! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Solani ABF has been out of stock for a while now. Have you tried C&D Burley Flake #3? Smokingpipes has it in stock and it's a blend I think you'll enjoy.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Solani ABF has been out of stock for a while now. Have you tried C&D Burley Flake #3? † Smokingpipes has it in stock and it's a blend I think you'll enjoy.

HI LC. I've not tried the #3. I have attempted to smoke C&D's Burley Flake #1 and did not care for it at all. Tasted like dried mushrooms and dust. Ick. I'll need to research the #3 flake before jumping into another in the same line.
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
HI LC. I've not tried the #3. I have attempted to smoke C&D's Burley Flake #1 and did not care for it at all. Tasted like dried mushrooms and dust. Ick. I'll need to research the #3 flake before jumping into another in the same line.

Do some research on TR and look at the reviews on Smokingpipes. The #3 is the only one I enjoy. Good luck.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

I did not initially like #1 either, right out of the tin. But after it had been jarred up for a few months it was much better. I could send you a sample of some #3 if you PM me your address.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com Online
aadelma

Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?    Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Sorry to see ABF is difficult to come by nowadays, I hope it doesn't go the way of Stonehaven, etc. †I find Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley to be very similar in flavor, though not in flake form. I've tried all of the C&D burley flakes and the majority of their burley blends, and while very good smokes, I don't find any of them similar to ABF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: