HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Haddo's at 5 y/o

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Haddo's at 5 y/o   Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Five years ago, I opened a tin of fresh Haddo's and smoking it was an interesting but overwhelmingly intense affair. I smoked 3 bowls of it and jarred the rest up. Shortly after, Shane Ireland had gifted me a nice bit of this blend from 2002 which I recently finished turning to ash. I loved every puff of it. Wanting some more, and not having any as well aged, I unearthed that jar from 2012. It has darkened down a bit, and wow does it smoke well. There's a hint of the brandy in the room note and on the finish, but the intense acerbic, rotten banana twinge of its youth has been replaced by a gentle sweetness and a clarity that's quite remarkable. Spicy yes, but perfectly toned down with ample richness in flavor strength. I think I like this better than the 10 year old stash I smoked. I hardly need anymore tobacco, but I think I need to cellar up for 2022. What a Face

Last edited by DrumsAndBeer on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's at 5 y/o   Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:53 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Chris. Like you I find aging it a few years hammers it place near the top of the list of great VaPers in stone. I've never smoked any that was more than 5 years old but I find that most blends, that are aged, reach their peak of goodness around the 5 year mark. Smile  

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's at 5 y/o   Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 am

AJ wrote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Chris. Like you I find aging it a few years hammers it place near the top of the list of great VaPers in stone. I've never smoked any that was more than 5 years old but I find that most blends, that are aged, reach their peak of goodness around the 5 year mark. Smile  

AJ

I agree. Especially when it comes to perique heavy vapers. A beautiful smoke, Haddo's. And surely one to put away a few tins of for future enjoyment
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's at 5 y/o   Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I agree. Especially when it comes to perique heavy vapers. A beautiful smoke, Haddo's. And surely one to put away a few tins of for future enjoyment

I agree with you 110%! Last year I smoked a bowl of Haddo's when it was fresh and I remember posting these exact words...." I wasn't delighted "! This is definitely one blend due to the Perique that needs a few years of aging. I too noticed after a few years how much darker the blend was and an extremely enjoyable smoke. Definitely worth the wait cheers cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's at 5 y/o   Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:01 pm

That's funny, it seems like we all feel the same about Haddo's. Fresh from the tin it's a little too top heavy for my taste...meaning the topping is very present. I had the pleasure of smoking some 5+yo stuff and it was a totally different beast. Wonderful.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's at 5 y/o   Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Big fan of Haddo's here. But aged at least 4-5 years. 10 is mo better.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

Haddo's at 5 y/o
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: