HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer   Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:22 am

I've got a very hard block of carnauba wax and a brand new spinning buffer

How do you go about to "charge" the buffer with said wax, please?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer   Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:44 pm

A light touch is all you need. I've been buffing pipes for years on the same block of carnauba, probably 1000 pipes. The block is only half used. What you don't want is wax accumulation which is easy to do. Holding the wax firmly to the wheel for approximately 1-3 seconds is all you should need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer   Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:07 pm

What he said.

View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer   Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 pm

I thank you ! cheers

Will try buffing my first pipe tomorrow.....old reject, just for in case I make a blunder

I received buffer and carnauba from Charl Goussard as a gift. He told me the same as you did. Just wanted to make sure I heard him correctly. I'm a bit nervous, never even touched this stuff before.

He also warned me to be careful, the buff might grab the pipe from me Laughing

Oh, may I use carnauba on vulcanite stems too? Forgot to ask Charl about it

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer   Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
A light touch is all you need. I've been buffing pipes for years on the same block of carnauba, probably 1000 pipes. The block is only half used. What you don't want is wax accumulation which is easy to do. Holding the wax firmly to the wheel for approximately 1-3 seconds is all you should need.

I'm waiting for a Sasieni 4 dot estate which I bought from the Blue Room last week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer   Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Let us know how far the pipe rockets across the shop when the buffer snags it. We might want to do a pool.

Just pullin’ yer leg.

View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer   Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Like all have said and remember, YOU WILL GET a pipe snagged and it will go flying across the room! Twisted Evil  So I would start practicing on old ones you don't care about even going to a second hand store and buying some lesser valued pipes to practice on. It takes a bit of practice to get the feel of this procedure!! Twisted Evil

Last edited by monbla256 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer   Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:45 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

I'm waiting for a Sasieni 4 dot estate  which I bought from the Blue Room last week!

I hope you like it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer   Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Ya don't need to lean into, it just a light, even touch of the pipe to the center of wheel with a good grip.
Trying to keep one finger in the chamber helps to keep it in your hand.
I use a down motion when buffing a pipe, some do not but, I find it puts a shine on it much quicker and evenly. Wink

You can wax Vulcanite stems if you wish, I personally use a hand applied wax made for pipes on Vulcanite and then buff
with a clean wheel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1