HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?   Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Here are some links:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/10/23/so-many-people-want-to-read-stephen-hawkings-phd-thesis-its-crashing-the-website/?utm_term=.0baf0c799a8d

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/step-inside-the-mind-of-the-young-stephen-hawking-as-his-phd-thesis-goes-online-for-first-time

While I have not tried reading his thesis, I am sure that it would help if you had your favorite Dunhill pipe filled with My Mixture, a fire in the fireplace, and a glass of sherry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?   Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Ok so 68 pages in so far and my head hurts! Surprisingly its not such a bad read but its heavy on the formulas and calculations.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?   Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Sounds absolutely deeelish! Besides, I might need something to read this winter....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?   Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Like millions of others, I read A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes. I enjoyed it and learned a good bit. As much as I find him a fascinating, significant person, I don't think I can do a thesis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?   Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Ok so I've finished it, but realize now that you can't ever finish it. It will require much more processing to get my head around all the formulas and numbers but this is a seriously interesting area. Don't be put off by it being a thesis. Its still an actual decent read that doesn't go so overboard in assuming you know about the subject. Will provide many hours of contemplation.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?   Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:13 pm

I can't get past the fireplace, sherry and pipe.
Maybe I am just stuck...“To boldly go where no man — where no one — has gone… before.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?   Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:51 am

I hope you got your copies before the rush

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41775910
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?   Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Haven't had a chance yet but was planning on it this winter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Does anyone want to read Stephen Hawking's PhD thesis?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: