HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Zippo Pipe Lighters

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bulldog Bruce

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:52 am

Justpipes wrote:
I regret to say that I have never been able to get use to using a Zippo. I have been using the same Imco pipe lighter for the last 8-10 years with no problems. I sent the Zippo pipe lighter I had to one of the brothers here. Maybe I should revisit them. I always felt like I had to draw too hard to get a good light with the lighter with the pipe insert.

Keeping the lighter on the full side helps the flame reach into the bowl better. Use caution about overfilling and putting in pocket of levis, or any pants. Especially if you carry your unit to that side. No Get a hell of a chemical burn. I learned about that right after takeoff sittin in the door of a helicopter in the AF. It was a long and painfull Op Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GarWood

Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:59 am

EJinVA wrote:
bronxbill wrote:
I'm still using the Zippo I carried in Viet Nam in 1967.
Wow! I bet that thing has some memories attached to it. I'd kind of like to see a photo of it if you don't mind sharing.

There's some interesting examples on eBay if you search "Zippo Vietnam" (Probably some fakes, too, like anything else...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruiser

Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 pm

My estimated use is:
Zippo pipe lighter 80%
Bic type butane---10%
matches-----------10%
All around I like the Zippo best but use butanes sometimes when traveling and wood matches with some flakes when at home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:02 pm

LtMac wrote:
Quote :
Any truth to this?

Yep, its true. I've sent for the replacement. They change it out and send the original insert and a few flints back with the lighter.

Here's a hint: I collect Zippos with Sheriff's stars on them. If I buy a new or customized Zippo and want the pipe insert, I'll send in a plain older one for the insert exchange and swap the insert when it returns to me. That way I don't have to worry about a more valued lighter getting lost in the mail.

LtMac

I'm resurrecting a dead thread because this was actually one of the top hits when I was searching Google for info on how to do this. I'd like to swap out my regular zippo insert (which is unused) for the pipe insert, but I can't figure out exactly what to do. There isn't anything on the Zippo website. I sent them an email but I haven't heard back yet. Has anyone done this recently?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
LtMac wrote:
Quote :
Any truth to this?

Yep, its true. I've sent for the replacement. They change it out and send the original insert and a few flints back with the lighter.

Here's a hint: I collect Zippos with Sheriff's stars on them. If I buy a new or customized Zippo and want the pipe insert, I'll send in a plain older one for the insert exchange and swap the insert when it returns to me. That way I don't have to worry about a more valued lighter getting lost in the mail.

LtMac

I'm resurrecting a dead thread because this was actually one of the top hits when I was searching Google for info on how to do this. I'd like to swap out my regular zippo insert (which is unused) for the pipe insert, but I can't figure out exactly what to do. There isn't anything on the Zippo website. I sent them an email but I haven't heard back yet. Has anyone done this recently?

Just got one back. Here's the email I got from Zippo on what to do:

"Thank you for your recent email. You can return the inserts to our repair department and request they be replaced with a pipe insert.

Place in a padded envelope and be sure to include your name, address, phone number and email address.

Send to Zippo repairs, 1932 Zippo Drive, Bradford, PA 16701."

Hope that helps.

Jack
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dave_In_Philly

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Perfect, thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:07 pm

I did this earlier this year and Zippo turned it around within about 10 days. Sent the original insert back and included a pack of flints.

I use mine almost 100% of the time now.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Brewdude wrote:
I did this earlier this year and Zippo turned it around within about 10 days. Sent the original insert back and included a pack of flints.

I use mine almost 100% of the time now.

Cheers,

RR

Yep. they did that with mine too. Must be standard operating procedure for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
inshane64

Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:35 am

thanks for the address I just sent in 3 lighters today!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

PostSubject: Re: Zippo Pipe Lighters   Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:42 am

I got mine back on Monday. All in all it took about a week, and that's with the Christmas holiday. I couldn't be happier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Zippo Pipe Lighters
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2